Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Turbo Kit Experience....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Turbo Kit Experience....

Today, I just finished up installing a GT3076R turbo on to my car. It was a pain in the ***. I decided to "piece" a kit together and I will never do it again. I tried to save some money and I think it cost me more in the long run. I learned a few things from today.

1. Those damn oil return flanges will leak. Even though I read that they leak, I still had to drain my oil and add more RTV.

2. Making a 4" intake that keeps the stock air box and fan was not fun.

3. The clamp that attaches the coupler to the silicon is bigger then the other clamps. So now I need to go and buy a bigger T-clamp.

I learned other stuff and I am glad this experience is over for today. Now I just need to install some bigger injectors and some head studs.

I do want to thank fellow co-worker/fabricator (Mark), my brother, and Active Automotive for there assistance.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I think the only proper motivation for piecing together a turbo kit (or something as complicated) is if the person is interested in the actual work, and will enjoy the process and hicups along the way. Doing it to save 5-10% means the person is gonna get annoyed and perhaps not finish it.

Good job on sticking it out and getting it done. Pics?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Pix and numbers.. By the way are you running on stock internals....

I installed mine few weeks ago but I am braking in the new rebuild engine so hopefully in few weeks time I will be ready to take it be fully remaped and dynoed..

Lets see that numbers you got.. please keep up posted.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I think if its well thought it will really save you some dough. Example the turbo cost me 1245. Garret gt3076-13. The header and dp with the inter cooler hose will cost about 1250. So far that $2495. The wastegate is $350. The intake tube and oil lines $200. Totaling $3045. Not bad the cheapest turbo kit I have seen goes for about $3600, which happens to be the Greddy t67. Its a good turbo bot not better than the gt3076r. Ball bearing is the way to go. I am putting the kit on myself,so theres the labor. I know that it will come out just fine. Again research is the key.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Today, I just finished up installing a GT3076R turbo on to my car. It was a pain in the ***. I decided to "piece" a kit together and I will never do it again. I tried to save some money and I think it cost me more in the long run. I learned a few things from today.

1. Those damn oil return flanges will leak. Even though I read that they leak, I still had to drain my oil and add more RTV.

2. Making a 4" intake that keeps the stock air box and fan was not fun.

3. The clamp that attaches the coupler to the silicon is bigger then the other clamps. So now I need to go and buy a bigger T-clamp.

I learned other stuff and I am glad this experience is over for today. Now I just need to install some bigger injectors and some head studs.

I do want to thank fellow co-worker/fabricator (Mark), my brother, and Active Automotive for there assistance.
Not to sound like an *** but how long did it take you to put everything together? Why would you keep the stock airbox?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
Personally, I think the only proper motivation for piecing together a turbo kit (or something as complicated) is if the person is interested in the actual work, and will enjoy the process and hicups along the way. Doing it to save 5-10% means the person is gonna get annoyed and perhaps not finish it.

Good job on sticking it out and getting it done. Pics?
I definitely saved more then 5-10% and I learned a lot along the way. If I was going to do it again I know I could do better. I will get pictures of it later today.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dubai_EvoVII
Pix and numbers.. By the way are you running on stock internals....

I installed mine few weeks ago but I am braking in the new rebuild engine so hopefully in few weeks time I will be ready to take it be fully remaped and dynoed..

Lets see that numbers you got.. please keep up posted.
I am running on the stock internals and will have dyno numbers later this month.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Not to sound like an *** but how long did it take you to put everything together? Why would you keep the stock airbox?
It took about 10 hours to put it together, but 3 hours was killed just making the intake. I know I could do it faster next time.

I kept the stock air box so the MAF readings are more stable for the tuner.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job on the DIY job. Finally Evo's are getting closer to the DSM type of people
Old Apr 3, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I know what you mean about the oil return line problems. I read that several have issues. The flanges I recieved were not machined for the EVO and they weren't worth a damn so I had to build one my own and alter most of my lines to achieve a safer install.

Good job though
Old Apr 4, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
I know what you mean about the oil return line problems. I read that several have issues. The flanges I recieved were not machined for the EVO and they weren't worth a damn so I had to build one my own and alter most of my lines to achieve a safer install.

Good job though
I agree. Someone needs to make a EVO specific flange for the oil pan. I thought really hard about cutting a section out of the factory hard line and using it.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I agree. Someone needs to make a EVO specific flange for the oil pan. I thought really hard about cutting a section out of the factory hard line and using it.
That's what I did with my setup. I just cut the stock return line and slipped a 5/8 hose over it and clamped it down. By the way the stock turbo oil return flanges, on the turbo and on the oil pan, are the same size as the one on the Garrett BB CHRA's.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

It took about 10 hours to put it together, but 3 hours was killed just making the intake. I know I could do it faster next time.

I kept the stock air box so the MAF readings are more stable for the tuner.
what programming are you going to run?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Man, that custom install just sounds like a PITA. I commend for sticking through and getting it down. I'm really excited to see some pics and some dyno numbers. You mentioned that u kept the MAF intact.....so what route r u gonna take for tuning?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
what programming are you going to run?
XEDE. I have had the XEDE for over a year and have been very happy w/ it. Plus, Vishnu is coming up to Seattle later this month to tune cars so I decided to take the next step.

Quick Reply: My Turbo Kit Experience....