Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High revving ACT upshift

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
Its almost to the top of pedal travel now before it grabs when letting out...is that what I wanted?
it does feel better shifting with it like this, but doesnt grab anywhere as soon as it used to while letting out. Maybe I am on the right track to enjoy the ACT.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

When you extend the rod, that makes the clutch pedal engage the slave cylinder sooner. In effect making the release point at the begining of the clutch movement. Meaning it disengaged the pressure plate very close to when you start to push the pedal in. This allows the most disengagment (i.e. biggest air gap or clearance between flywheel and clutch disc.) possible at the earliest time possible. The same hold true when lifting the clutch pedal back off the floor it will engage the clutch back to the flywheel at the top of the clutch travel. You have done what ACTMan wanted you to do. Just make sure you have freeplay in the clutch pedal before resistance is met. If not the pressure plate will be slightly lifted away from the flywheel and you will not get the full force of the pressure plate on the clutch disc.

Brian
Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
When you extend the rod, that makes the clutch pedal engage the slave cylinder sooner. In effect making the release point at the begining of the clutch movement. Meaning it disengaged the pressure plate very close to when you start to push the pedal in. This allows the most disengagment (i.e. biggest air gap or clearance between flywheel and clutch disc.) possible at the earliest time possible. The same hold true when lifting the clutch pedal back off the floor it will engage the clutch back to the flywheel at the top of the clutch travel. You have done what ACTMan wanted you to do. Just make sure you have freeplay in the clutch pedal before resistance is met. If not the pressure plate will be slightly lifted away from the flywheel and you will not get the full force of the pressure plate on the clutch disc.

Brian

sweet...just didnt know if it was supposed to be that high up where all the action happens. Im not used to letting it out that far up before it goes...hehe..yes there is still some free play in the pedal, I made sure of that. I guess now i will have to get myself adjusted to the new high up setting.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
it does feel better shifting with it like this, but doesnt grab anywhere as soon as it used to while letting out. Maybe I am on the right track to enjoy the ACT.
It's all about getting the right balance between adequate release, no preload, and comfortable feel.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
It's all about getting the right balance between adequate release, no preload, and comfortable feel.

Dirk, is there any downside to running with it that high on the pedal travel? im pretty sure there is no preload going on when my foot is completely off of it. Is there anything bad about it that hight when i release the clutch say taking off from a complete stop, etc?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

The only downside is the risk of going too far (preload) and the awkward feel. Basically you adjust it to where it works right and still feels comfortable. As long as it is not preloaded, there is no harm to having it engage high. All you are doing is allowing the pedal to start moving the piston in the cylinder earlier, which means it will travel farther, thus giving the pressure plate more release from the disc.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
The only downside is the risk of going too far (preload) and the awkward feel. Basically you adjust it to where it works right and still feels comfortable. As long as it is not preloaded, there is no harm to having it engage high. All you are doing is allowing the pedal to start moving the piston in the cylinder earlier, which means it will travel farther, thus giving the pressure plate more release from the disc.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you reach a point of diminishing return with clutch pedal adjustement. What I mean is you reach a point were extending the rod more does nothing but move the clutch engagement point further out, and doesnt add any addtional clearance in the clutch disc. This is because the slave cylinder only has a certain amount of throw or stroke. As long as the slave cylinder bottoms out in its stroke before you make the shift then the clutch has released as much as it is going to.

I agree it does fell akward when adjusted way out at the top. You will get used to it, as long as you dont drive another car that isn't adjusted that way.

Let us know if the shifting problem has disappeared now..

Brian
Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Dirk, maybe when you get a chance you can write up a "how to" with some pics. There obviously is ALOT of confusion about this and alot of people with your product. I can't think of anyone more knowledgeable to do it! I know it might take a few minutes but I think it would greatly benefit the entire Evo community (It would also look go for ACT

*By the way, my clutch is holding up great- thanx for all the help! (MCorini@keepinsurance)
Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

You are both right and wrong. It does reach a point of diminishing return but not because the slave runs out of travel. The slave travel far exceeds the range of movement required on the pressure plate diaphragm fingers. In this way the slave can self-adjust to any position of the fingers that are determined by the thickness of the disc, which of course changes with wear.

The diminishing return is that once you have adequate air gap releasing the disc, more doesn't help. The weight of the disc, the syncros, etc will only allow it shift so fast, no matter how far you release the pressure plate from the disc.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
Dirk, maybe when you get a chance you can write up a "how to" with some pics. There obviously is ALOT of confusion about this and alot of people with your product. I can't think of anyone more knowledgeable to do it! I know it might take a few minutes but I think it would greatly benefit the entire Evo community (It would also look go for ACT

*By the way, my clutch is holding up great- thanx for all the help! (MCorini@keepinsurance)
It's a good idea, but my list of things to do is long enough already, and I don't have an EVO available for photos, etc. I have a hard enough time just getting people to read the instructions that come with the parts (that includes adjustment). Also a lot of shops just install the parts and throw the paperwork away, so the customer never sees it. The car goes down the road and the shop is happy, but the customer doesn't realize until later that the car won't shift quite as good. Then we look bad, etc. Yeah, maybe you are right. Actually my son has a friend with an EVO... Hummmm.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

i will take it out this evening and run it to redline again and do some shifting a few times and sees what happens. Im sure ill get used to the new position on the clutch pedal. Cant say that it feels and stiffer or anymore grabby than the stock one did, It did like the first 2 days though.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

well just got home from work...so far the adjustment of the rod extended some seems to have helped that high rpm problem. YAY. now to get fully adjusted to the new pedal feel
Old Apr 8, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

would ACT not be the way to go?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

my pedal was adjusted farther in so my foot travel was shorter well my slave cylinder started making noises when the pedal was pressed all the way and now at any RPM after 6k my clutch wont disengage untill it drops back down to 5krpm.....dont know what to do with this.....trying to see what u guys think it is before i take it in for surgery....ohhh and now i had my pedal readjusted to where theres more pedal travel and the sound went away but my clutch is still getting stuck in gear at high rpm.......it sucks when your at 7krpm press the clutch and you have to wait with 5sec for it to actually disengage...I HATE IT!! please help......by the way i have a ACT kit......but im not blaming anyone just the idiot who adjusted my pedal the first time.......any ideas what i can do and is my clutch toast?