Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High revving ACT upshift

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High revving ACT upshift

Well I put an ACT clutch in about 3 weekends ago...i have noticed the past few times, that when in 4th about 7k rpms and upshift to 5th that it seems to hesitate before it lets go for me to shift into 5th gear. I get into gear fine, just feels kinda odd. Any ideas? I probably need to adjust the clutch rod somehow, as I did a long time ago with the stock clutch.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

are you running the stainless steel clutch line? if not, you need to with an aftermarket clutch
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might Grids 5 gear no matter what @ High RPMS (No SS CLutch line) Do i need to get one?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing for me. If you push to hard it will grind. So I have to wait and let it go in.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think you need a SS line, I think that is kinda normal wit an ACT clutch. I never noticed any hesitation in my upshifts in 5th, but in the morning I get some hesitation with 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. Happens alot when its cold.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

yes, the factory line has a "pill" in it to restrict how fast the fluid will flow thru it. the stainless steel line doesnt. with the act clutch or any aftermarket clutch, having that pill in there hurts the performance of using that clutch, remove it and you will notice a difference in how the clutch engages. even if you are still using the factory clutch you will notice a better clutch pedal. it also will allow you to have a more consistant grab point when you release the pedal. which means quicker shifts and all that
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
yes, the factory line has a "pill" in it to restrict how fast the fluid will flow thru it. the stainless steel line doesnt. with the act clutch or any aftermarket clutch, having that pill in there hurts the performance of using that clutch, remove it and you will notice a difference in how the clutch engages. even if you are still using the factory clutch you will notice a better clutch pedal. it also will allow you to have a more consistant grab point when you release the pedal. which means quicker shifts and all that

you are totally wrong. The SS line doesnt have anything to do with the restictor. Its in the slave cylinder. Yes I have a SS line.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
Well I put an ACT clutch in about 3 weekends ago...i have noticed the past few times, that when in 4th about 7k rpms and upshift to 5th that it seems to hesitate before it lets go for me to shift into 5th gear. I get into gear fine, just feels kinda odd. Any ideas? I probably need to adjust the clutch rod somehow, as I did a long time ago with the stock clutch.
Is it possible that you have the 5th gear synchro problem? I had it and it made it difficult to shift into 5th gear at high RPMs (anything over 4k in 4th). The higher I took the RPMs, the harder it got. Just a thought,

Paul
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
Is it possible that you have the 5th gear synchro problem? I had it and it made it difficult to shift into 5th gear at high RPMs (anything over 4k in 4th). The higher I took the RPMs, the harder it got. Just a thought,

Paul

nah, getting in gear is no problem at all...actually 5th is one of the smoothest. Just recently kinda seems like it takes my tranny a few secs to realize i even shifted into 5th before its lets go. haha...its very smooth though.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

I posted a thread on here a few days ago regarding the same problem. I have issues with high rpm shifts, near redline. It used to be lightning fast and smooth, now 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th hesitate before it will go into gear, like it is real notchy, almost like it locks you out for a sec then lets it go into gear. Pain in my ***. Could be synchro's or clutch not sure which yet.

Shane
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

By the way have ACT HDSS
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust your pedal so that it engages a 1/4 inch from the top of the throw. This will give you more pedal room for the clutch to disengage.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think you guys see what im saying though...going in gear is no problem. Its kinda hard to explain.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:53 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Nope, no pill in the factory line. The reason to switch to a SS line is because the rubber one expands.

My ACT clutch is pretty crappy. It locks me out of downshifts to 3rd frequently and even locks me out on the upshift from 3 to 4 on occasion. It doesn't grind, it just won't go in. If I double clutch it then it normally goes in. Might sound like a synchro problem to some, but, like I said, it doesn't grind and it only started happening after install of the ACT clutch.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Are you saying that it hesitates letting you out of 4th, but once it does it's easy to get into 5th?

Quick Reply: High revving ACT upshift