Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Low Dyno Numbers

Yesterday I had my car dyno'd for the first time. I was pretty excited because I figured I would get pretty good results. We did about 6 pulls on a Dynapack, which is probably the most accurate results you can get on a dyno. Anyways my two highest pulls were 236 and 238 awhp with 261 and 263 torque. My mods are in my sig and this is what was dyno'd.

I was hoping for numbers in the range anywhere between 270 - 290ish for awhp. Currently I'm boosting to about 20.5 PSI and tapering to about 17-18 PSI near redline. I'm pretty sure I don't have any boost leaks and the car is running and sounds great.

I don't have any baseline runs before I added all my mods so I have no idea what kind of gains I got from my mods. The only way that I can compare to see if I got any gains is from my 1/4 mile times. When I was stock I was averaging about a 14.2 with a 2.1 60ft. After I got my intake, mbc @19PSI, and catback I was running 13.8-13.7 with a 1.9 60ft. I haven't been back to the track yet since I added the EVO MR DV, the BR 3" downpipe w/high flow cat, Walbro, and Dynoflash so I don't know how much this will improve my times yet until this weekend when I go.

It's just odd to me that my dyno numbers were so low. My awhp is what a stocker is around. Maybe I'm just one of those unfortunate EVO owners that got a bad egg as far as producing power? Just wanted to know what you all thought and maybe provide some feedback on why the numbers were on the low side. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

who told u dynapack was the most accuret?
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

my numbers are below and i have similar mods. I was on a mustang dyno. I wouldn't fret too much about the numbers. Dyno's are just tools for tuning. It's too hard to compare your numbers vs everybody elses numbers.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by J Dog
Yesterday I had my car dyno'd for the first time. I was pretty excited because I figured I would get pretty good results. We did about 6 pulls on a Dynapack, which is probably the most accurate results you can get on a dyno. Anyways my two highest pulls were 236 and 238 awhp with 261 and 263 torque. My mods are in my sig and this is what was dyno'd.

I was hoping for numbers in the range anywhere between 270 - 290ish for awhp. Currently I'm boosting to about 20.5 PSI and tapering to about 17-18 PSI near redline. I'm pretty sure I don't have any boost leaks and the car is running and sounds great.

I don't have any baseline runs before I added all my mods so I have no idea what kind of gains I got from my mods. The only way that I can compare to see if I got any gains is from my 1/4 mile times. When I was stock I was averaging about a 14.2 with a 2.1 60ft. After I got my intake, mbc @19PSI, and catback I was running 13.8-13.7 with a 1.9 60ft. I haven't been back to the track yet since I added the EVO MR DV, the BR 3" downpipe w/high flow cat, Walbro, and Dynoflash so I don't know how much this will improve my times yet until this weekend when I go.

It's just odd to me that my dyno numbers were so low. My awhp is what a stocker is around. Maybe I'm just one of those unfortunate EVO owners that got a bad egg as far as producing power? Just wanted to know what you all thought and maybe provide some feedback on why the numbers were on the low side. Thanks.
First of all - the most important factor for me is the shape of the curve not the numbers - especially on a dyno pak dyno which has so many variables which can be set by the end user which can manipulate the numbers

Post up the dyno sheet and lets see how the car is running by the shape of the curve , a/f and boost

BTW - just as an aside - 17 - 18 psi at red line is TOO LOW

I have a lt of customers who are holding low boost levels whop complain about low power readings.

ALL of my tunes are claibrated with the HALLMAN PRO MBC which when the car is set up [properly with no boost leaks will hold a peak or 20.5 - 21 psi and 19 psi or more all the way to red line.

Using a sub par MBC which is dropping 3 - 4 psi to red line is loosing youy a lot of power

I would be willing to ship you a Hallman ProMBC to try out free of charge to see if that picks up your top end power
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
my numbers are below and i have similar mods. I was on a mustang dyno. I wouldn't fret too much about the numbers. Dyno's are just tools for tuning. It's too hard to compare your numbers vs everybody elses numbers.
Oh the numbers don't bother me too much. I'm more interested in the gains that I get from the money I put into it. I just wish I would have gotten baseline figures before I started to mod.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
First of all - the most important factor for me is the shape of the curve not the numbers - especially on a dyno pak dyno which has so many variables which can be set by the end user which can manipulate the numbers

Post up the dyno sheet and lets see how the car is running by the shape of the curve , a/f and boost

BTW - just as an aside - 17 - 18 psi at red line is TOO LOW

I have a lt of customers who are holding low boost levels whop complain about low power readings.

ALL of my tunes are claibrated with the HALLMAN PRO MBC which when the car is set up [properly with no boost leaks will hold a peak or 20.5 - 21 psi and 19 psi or more all the way to red line.

Using a sub par MBC which is dropping 3 - 4 psi to red line is loosing youy a lot of power

I would be willing to ship you a Hallman ProMBC to try out free of charge to see if that picks up your top end power
I would totally be interested in trying the Hallman, if it holds steady I can paypal you the cost of the Hallman. My email is jeffreyt27@hotmail.com. I don't know if you still have my address somewhere from when you sent me the flash last week if not and I can PM it to you. Thanks Al.

-Jeff Toevs
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Al that is awesome customer service!! Thumbs up to you for going above and beyond for this gentleman.

Also I have the Hallman Pro on my car and it holds boost solid all the way to redline! You should really try it and see the difference. 4 pounds is a pretty big drop off.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by J Dog
Oh the numbers don't bother me too much. I'm more interested in the gains that I get from the money I put into it. I just wish I would have gotten baseline figures before I started to mod.
On a DYNO JET dyno - if you were holding a full 19 psi to red line you could expect 290 - 295 to the wheels

As your tq is MUCH higher thanwhp and your booost is falling down to 17 psi - this is why I recomend you try the Hallman Pro MBC which I am willing to send you for free to test. The Perrin has not worked well in most cars.

1 or 2 psi of boost can make a huge difference in the power levels at 5500 - 6500 rpms
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry about the low numbers. I threw down 70 more horsepower then you on the same dyno at only 17.5psi (thanks to my peice of crap Defi). I have a XEDE and cams though. PDXEvo is at 306hp on that dyno and he has the same basic mods as you, but he has a test pipe. We are also running the stock air box too.

Last edited by jj_008; Apr 6, 2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Wait wait... you're not interested in the numbers, but are interested in the gains that you get from the money you spent? Isn’t that an oxymoron? If I knew that I had put around $2,000 worth of performance upgrades into my car and I did not make much more than a stock EVO, then I would be a bit pissed. I think it would be best for you to find another dyno and get a second opinion. I would also make sure that you car is running right and take Al up on the offer for the Hallman. Al uses and tunes for the Hallman's so you know they are going to work for your particular flash.

Also, don’t DynoPacks read a bit higher than Dynojets because they do not have the rotational weight and friction of the wheels?

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Apr 6, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

This is funny.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with the sentiments above that your numbers especially on a dynapack seem superlow. I've seen friends run on a dynapack with less mods than you've described in your sig pushing 265hp/270torque and 275hp/305torque respectively.

I would put in the MBC that Al is sending you and try a different dyno. I believe dynapacks can be setup differently from dyno to dyno and therefore can put up a wide-range of numbers.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

This dynopak is about as good as it gets in this area when it comes to dyno's.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
Wait wait... you're not interested in the numbers, but are interested in the gains that you get from the money you spent? Isn’t that an oxymoron? If I knew that I had put around $2,000 worth of performance upgrades into my car and I did not make much more than a stock EVO, then I would be a bit pissed. I think it would be best for you to find another dyno and get a second opinion. I would also make sure that you car is running right and take Al up on the offer for the Hallman. Al uses and tunes for the Hallman's so you know they are going to work for your particular flash.

Also, don’t DynoPacks read a bit higher than Dynojets because they do not have the rotational weight and friction of the wheels?
Okay you got me it is kind of an oxymoron now that I think about it. My main concern would be if I had spent all that money on mods and not see any gains at all. Unfortunately in my case I haven't been to the dyno before I started modding so I'm not sure on the exact number gain. I see it in my 1/4 mile times and I can feel it in the butt dyno (not that accurate ) The actual feel in engine performance and power you feel from mods is what does matter to me. Also you are right, the DynoPack does read higher.
Old Apr 6, 2005 | 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
This dynopak is about as good as it gets in this area when it comes to dyno's.
^^^What he said.

Quick Reply: Low Dyno Numbers