Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quaife LSD In! Huge Thanks to Mike & Tony @ Road Race Engineering!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Quaife LSD In! Huge Thanks to Mike & Tony @ Road Race Engineering!

Where to begin.

1. Thanks to the many Evom members for generating information and interest and following through.

2. Thanks to Mike Welch at Road Race Engineering who put the entire deal together at a fair price. Timely too (HE SAID FEBRUARY OR MARCH AND HE WAS RIGHT.) Also thanks for the very low install price. I guess when you know what you are doing, you can do it faster and charge less.

3. You don't hear too much about Tony @ RRE (Mike W. and J. Mueller cast a large shadow). But let me tell you something. Despite being very busy, he consistently takes the time to explain what and why he is doing something and will make time to do minor adjustments even if he is trying to go home for the day. He did a fantastic job on my clutch install and now he did a PERFECT job on my Quaife. He is a genuinely nice guy. So, a huge shoutout: Thanks again Tony.

4. Thanks to Quaife for making the diff for our limited market.

5. Now, on to the Quaife: The best news is NO news! Under normal circumstances, there is absolutely no way to tell it is in there. Quiet, smooth, invisible. I can't yet comment on improving launches at the drag strip, but I'll be at Cal Speedway Saturday, so I'll come back and post afterwards. I know it is stronger (huge advantage by itself), but I also hope it helps my 60ft times. Going around corners, I have only had a couple of opportunities to test it. I'm no test driver, but I can make twogeneralizations. Before the install, I could pretty much "light" my tires up around a 90 degree or tighter corner to the point where I could bounce off my rev limiter without gaining a ton of momentum. Now, under the same conditions, I still light up the tires, but with slightly more forward motion. Also, I noticed a greater tendency for the back end to come around slightly - tiny bit more understeer. Both good results.

More impressions to follow.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Apr 6, 2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome let us know how it goes
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats, I wish RRE was near by NYC. I would definately be interested in a LSD for my 03. I hope this works for you to your liking. Anyhow looking forward to more impressions for you.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the Quaife, sounds like a nice purchase! Do you track the car? I'd love to hear a before and after comparison from the track.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the quaife! I've heard that Tony@RRE can do 2g DSM clutch changes in less than an hour! I wonder what his EVO record is.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Tony said that my Quaife install was so trouble free that he considered it "perfect." I figured it would be an all day job, but I got a phone call from Tony before 2:00PM. He must be pretty fast when people like me aren't asking him a million questions.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

how does the quaiffe install work? does it replace the transfer case? go in it? help strengthen it?...i know what a lsd does thats not what i am asking. im asking more how it goes in and whats involved and the benefits after other than the obvious ones of having the lsd.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
how does the quaiffe install work? does it replace the transfer case? go in it? help strengthen it?...i know what a lsd does thats not what i am asking. im asking more how it goes in and whats involved and the benefits after other than the obvious ones of having the lsd.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=131349
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

i wonder if they're going to get around to develop the center and rear as a follow up to this great product. this should really make a difference for us non-acd evo owners..
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

great write up. so basically this replaces the stock spider gear assembly?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
great write up. so basically this replaces the stock spider gear assembly?
Yep. That is the weakest link in our driveline.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
I can't yet comment on improving launches at the drag strip, but I'll be at Cal Speedway Saturday, so I'll come back and post afterwards. I know it is stronger (huge advantage by itself), but I also hope it helps my 60ft times.

How'd it go at the strip?