Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bolsen
I'm not sure we are talking about the same car... I was refering to the numbers claimed by ATP on their evo kits. The numbers ATP got are without cams.

Same car. Atp turbo kit on Aspec car. Same 421whp and 355tq as listed on harmanmotive and garrett webpage.

Either way those are some pretty nice numbers!!!
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bolsen
I'm not sure we are talking about the same car... I was refering to the numbers claimed by ATP on their evo kits. The numbers ATP got are without cams.
Here are the numbers by ATP:

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/release...tockvs3071.gif
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

grrr, my bad guys. I thought we were talking about the numbers as claimed by http://www.atpturbo.com/root/release...tockvs3071.gif NOT the ones claimed by the mag article. My bad
Old Apr 8, 2005, 07:52 PM

i dont understand wut u mean by they didnt dyno it and they're just claiming it, why would they "claim" 421 hp? and in the super street article it CLAIMED STOCK HEaD AND BOTTOM END, not to mention it SAID he came in with 235.5hp at the wheels, and sumthin like 265 lb/ft torque, and left with that 421/355 specs. either way, for a street driven car lookin to beat up on STIs and most any other car on the road, i dont think you can beat the price....
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Several things to consider:

There was an additional $3500 worth of parts added to said car ($2k standalone, cams, injectors, etc.). This brings the total invested to well over $6500 including installation + tuning. So, it isn't like one is just going to bolt this kit on a stock car and come away with 421whp for the cost of the turbo kit - won't happen.

The claimed 421whp figure was achieved on 110 race gas, which is only slightly more than what one can achieve with essentially the same upgrades using the stock turbo. Likewise, consider the 362whp figure on pump, and this isn't especially impressive for an upgraded turbo.

FWIW, I've seen more than one instance of this same kit delivering less than claimed in this test, so YMMV.

Once again, I'm just illustrating the fine print that is so easily overlooked.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you do have to admit that the a heavily modified stock turbo car (cams and ems included) running 110 does not have NEARLY as nice of a power curve... so c'mon now guys... let's not play dumb... the stock turbo is a cap... it's good for what it is but it's just that... and people who have put money out for the 10.5 housing can't be talkin' like they're not tryinna save money.

look at the power curve for the atp... even if it has similar power curve shape the area that is spanned by the curve is higher on 110 than any maxed out dyno queen number that we've seen on fully squeezed stock turbos ANd it has USEful power... look at the torque curve... pretty flat wehreas the stockers fall flat on their faces after 4500... look at the power curve... CONTINUEOUS to the TOP, whereas the stockers are a peak at like 5k and then fall fall off fast again... the efficiency of the 3071 is far superior to that of the stock turbo... that's just a fact.

i'm not sayin' the stock turbo is crap... but i'd say with problems holding/producing boost without tapering and such it's just not going to produce what the 3071 can.

i'm not sayin' that the atp kit is great... i'm not even sayin' it's cheap... (put yer own **** together for less or get better parts for a lil more, same mentality as building yer own computer) in fact i think that the atp kit is ****... get a REAL 3071r peeps...

like is just said on socal evo... if you want the stealth... get a cast mani from br... they make them for both the mitsu flange and the t3 and if you can't wait for the t3 flange br mani to come out... then just get the adapter flange... it's not hard!

my last comment will be on the application of your car and hence the turbo for your application. people change turbos because that's what they want or need (acutally most people change turbos to chase a number but i'd say that's ****in' dumb).

if you're in search of a FAST spooling turbo... there aren't many good options are there... in fact the 3071 is just about the ONLY choice... spools faster than stock and can flow more than you could hope for on a powerband that spans 7500rpms. it's perfect... and for THAT i will pay! FOR SURE, EVERY time... because that's what i WANT.

so be careful of what you WANT... cuz not everyone wants a fatter hp number... not everyone can do... "oh it's only 400rpm slower than stock puts out 300 more horses"... sometimes... that 400rpms and the 200 rpms that the 3071 may spool faster than stock adds up and just CAN'T be sacraficed... so what's your choice?

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 9, 2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 04:08 PM

I am not slamming the stock turbo, it's a good unit. But...... I went to the 3071 for racing and it does make more power, there is no denying it.

To say that the 3071 is no improvement over stock is wrong.

Like I say, basically the only thing I use my Evo for is racing, and I trailer it there. I gained about 50 usable hp with the upgrade and my mods, which are extensive. That is, already modded, I gained 50 hp with a new tune

EB
Old Apr 9, 2005, 04:17 PM

I meant new turbo and tune

EB
Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

ok, everyone talking here does not have this kit? lets wait to see if someone with one of these kits actually posts their numbers and if they have any additionals mods... that's when we will have real figures.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bla Bla Bla Bla

I hate when people follow tuners and say what they are say BLIND (like a new borne Baby) The 3071 turbo is great PERIOD.

I will be able to know very soon stay tuned
Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by olsookie
ok, everyone talking here does not have this kit? lets wait to see if someone with one of these kits actually posts their numbers and if they have any additionals mods... that's when we will have real figures.
And that is what I am going to do. Later this month or early next month I will be installing mine, and doing what I can to put my thoughts into a post about my kit. Other than that, I am just going to lurk until I have proof of what mine does. I am looking for more usable power, and not the highest hp/tq numbers.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Bla Bla Bla Bla

I hate when people follow tuners and say what they are say BLIND (like a new borne Baby) The 3071 turbo is great PERIOD.

I will be able to know very soon stay tuned
You have one of these don't you? What is your setup and recent dyno results?
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i think that's what he means by i will be able to know very soon stay tuned.

and there have been people with the kit on this thread... and maybe with your call out they'll post them dyno sheets.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
You have one of these don't you? What is your setup and recent dyno results?

stop being around the bush Ted, we are not kids
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Several things to consider:

The claimed 421whp figure was achieved on 110 race gas, which is only slightly more than what one can achieve with essentially the same upgrades using the stock turbo. Likewise, consider the 362whp figure on pump, and this isn't especially impressive for an upgraded turbo.
I agree. For **** sake Im only 16whp less on pump gas and thats without the 2k standalone, or upgraded FMIC... or the turbo upgrade

Quite honestly, I was considering this kit for a little while it seems there are no TRUE members with numbers like 400whp+ on pump gas with these kits. NO track times. I see nothing. The dyno on ATPs sight looks good but I dont trust ANY vendor's dyno claims - I mean they ARE trying to get you to buy them so numbers can and do become manipulated. I think Ill end up with RNR. Yeah its like $4000 for a BB turbo with header but at least I know Im getting the quality!

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Apr 10, 2005 at 02:26 PM.