Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walbro's DAMN annoying....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 02:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you here it when your on it. windows closed, radio down.. you should hear something.. with a pump its really your running or not.. most dont here cause of the voltage drop..
Old Apr 8, 2005, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

I got the Walbro 255 in my Silvia, and i absolutely love the whining sound !! i think it's awesome, and yes, i've had it in for more than 3 months.. it lets me know that the car is running, and going smoothly.

You can go over to s bosch fuel pump, but recently the shipments over here have had a lot of problems, and everyones switched back over to thr walbros.. i love mine and thats all i can say!!

Pete.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:01 AM
Former Vendor

nuff said there..

Originally Posted by rexhunta
I got the Walbro 255 in my Silvia, and i absolutely love the whining sound !! i think it's awesome, and yes, i've had it in for more than 3 months.. it lets me know that the car is running, and going smoothly.

You can go over to s bosch fuel pump, but recently the shipments over here have had a lot of problems, and everyones switched back over to thr walbros.. i love mine and thats all i can say!!

Pete.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
do you here it when your on it. windows closed, radio down.. you should hear something.. with a pump its really your running or not.. most dont here cause of the voltage drop..
I never really listened for it. I'll listen for it next time I'm gunning it.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

The DSM guys had this problem before.

1. Run a thicker wire straight from the battery, using your stock power wire as signal wire to trip a 30 amp relay you can buy at radio shack. The relay is pretty straight forward and insures you will have no problems, ground, power, signal, and output to pump. My suggestion, run at least 10 gauge straight from the battery as well as 10 gauge for grounding from the relay. Oh and dont worry about short circuits, the relay has a built in 30amp.

2. Make sure you installed the supplied black bootie, slip over the pump rubber foam thingy.

I got that question all the time with people putting a walbro in a stock wired car and forgettting to put the cover over the pump. It whines like crazy.

If you have questions or need a complete walkthrough on how to rewire the fuel pump, PM me.

Last edited by Knyght; Apr 8, 2005 at 05:10 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:43 AM
Former Vendor

forgive me im tired, black booty?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

I heard about that, the whining. Not to mention some of them have failed. Which is why when I mod I only plan on keeping it at 19psi til redline, this way I won't have the need for the fuel pump.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

The walbro's will fail due to a low voltage condition.

dafarmer69: We call it the black booty. It's like those coosies for beer cans to keep them cold. It's a foam rubber isulation cover that should be supplied with the pump, it's black in color and should be slid onto the metal part of the pump. Should keep the noise down, and keep the pump from corroding. In the picture it's sitting right next to the pump on the right. I would suggest using the tie strap with the foam around the pump attaching it to the side post of the fuel pump bracket.

I've had this in my Talon for 2 years, no loud whinning, just make sure the pump was installed right and has enough power.

Also the ones with loud pumps may want to check if they bought the 255 HIGH PRESSURE version by mistake. Those are pretty loud and not needed for most applications.
Attached Thumbnails Walbro's DAMN annoying....-dsm190.jpeg  
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Hey can someone answer this for me whats that wire for ??the one with the 2 connnections on it because when i installed it i just used the stock connection. Is that alright or do i need to install it
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:28 AM

How difficult is the pump installation? Sorry O/T
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

pretty straight foward i think its a very easy install
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by redevo561
Hey can someone answer this for me whats that wire for ??the one with the 2 connnections on it because when i installed it i just used the stock connection. Is that alright or do i need to install it
No you do not need to install it, if your connector plugs right in to the pump you are good. The walbro is used on many cars, and on some cars there is no connector and have to use that one to hook up to the + and - terminals on the fuel pump bracket.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea about the wires in the picture? Are thoughs the upgrade voltage wires?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Yes I would recommend to use those instead of the stock plug and wires when you re-wire the fuel pump with 10 gauge wire.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Knyght
No you do not need to install it, if your connector plugs right in to the pump you are good. The walbro is used on many cars, and on some cars there is no connector and have to use that one to hook up to the + and - terminals on the fuel pump bracket.
Thanks man For answering that wasnt sure about those wires lol

Quick Reply: Walbro's DAMN annoying....