Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walbro's DAMN annoying....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey redevo, where you at in Florida? I'm in the orlando area.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Knyght
Hey redevo, where you at in Florida? I'm in the orlando area.
Whats up bro im in Palm beach County but i go to orlando all the time tho
Old Apr 8, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm now that i think about it.. i used to hear the whine of the pump, then i installed grounding kit and the whine just "magically disappeared".
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Knyght
The walbro's will fail due to a low voltage condition.

dafarmer69: We call it the black booty. It's like those coosies for beer cans to keep them cold. It's a foam rubber isulation cover that should be supplied with the pump, it's black in color and should be slid onto the metal part of the pump. Should keep the noise down, and keep the pump from corroding. In the picture it's sitting right next to the pump on the right. I would suggest using the tie strap with the foam around the pump attaching it to the side post of the fuel pump bracket.

I've had this in my Talon for 2 years, no loud whinning, just make sure the pump was installed right and has enough power.

Also the ones with loud pumps may want to check if they bought the 255 HIGH PRESSURE version by mistake. Those are pretty loud and not needed for most applications.

hmm I didn't get any of that when I bought it...
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, i only got thep ump as well. not all of that's necessary, besides maybe that sleeve being pretty handy. the tea-bag, bottom plastic piece, the rings you can just swap over from your stock fuel pump assembly. a fuel pump install isn't exactly rocket science, just take it out, put in the new one and set everything back up as it originally was.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

yea I wasn't going to sweat it, I just thought it was interesting that they kit changed
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

O/T If your only going to run a catback, K&N drop in, a dynotune, and 20psi is it necessary to install the walbro? Or can I just stick with the stock pump? After reading this thread i'm worried about the walbro.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

don't be worried... you'll be fine

(On anothe OT note, people around here really gotta remember to take everything with a grain of salt, just because 1 failure on a board (where most posts are going to be problematic by nature) doesn't mean it's junk. )
Old Apr 12, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
yea I wasn't going to sweat it, I just thought it was interesting that they kit changed
I doubt this 'kit' was changed. You might have bought it used or an open item or something.

When you buy a walbro fuel pump it comes with everything in the picture, no matter what. These kits are universal and fit's chevy's ford's honduh's mitsu's etc. Unless the company you bought the kit from opens the box, takes what they need and repackages the "kit" with just the pump.

I beware of any company that doesnt show you pics of whats included when you buy product kits. CYA people (Cover Your @$$) Seeing is believing! That way if you get a 'kit' and somethings not there you can take action.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Man Ive come to the conclusion that some whine, and some dont.

My DSM whined like a ****. The one in my EVO however, I do not hear at all. My cousin had one in his 97 GST - very loud. My friend J had one in his 99 GSX, couldnt hear it, ever! If its bothering you that much what Id do (yes, what Id do) is just buy another one . Maybe your next one wont whine? Theyre under $100 and Im sure you can sell one used for $50 so it wouldnt be a bad idea.