Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blew my engine, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:32 AM

Ha! Always hoped I'd run into you getting in or out of that thing; would have liked to have met you. Anyway, the car wasn't in GL. I did talk to AMS, but pretty much just to swap ideas; they couldn't do much for a car that was 1,000mi away...

I graduated from boot end of June (Chief Thornton, IT1 Eisley, YN2 Hammond), "A" school was a 2 month breeze. Was on hold over at the DM office/dive pool until last week.

And yeah, money. This is going to hurt.

Last edited by Dutch; Dec 21, 2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

YN2 Hammond lol He is a good friend of mine cool. I would tone it down a notch with the upgrades for a whild till you at least make 3rd then you wont have a problem with the money as much. just get it back on the road and keep it simple. for a while lol
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dutch
So, the guys at MAC Autosport have offered the following as a solution / upgrade set:
  • Remove, restore, rebore and reinstall block
  • Inspect/restore head, valve replacements as necessary
  • Exedy single disc organic clutch
  • AMS 2.3L stroker kit
  • HKS intake/exhaust 264 cams to replace my 272's (Stroker kit lowers top end rpm's, which is where those 272's offer most power, so 264's are a better fit now)
  • Fidanza intake/exhaust cam gears
  • Nitrous Reinstall (I never managed to finish it, and in retrospect, I put the jets in the wrong place, on the "top" side of the intake manifold, instead of underneath)
  • Wallbro 255lph fuel pump
  • Bosch boost solenoid to replace my MBC, so AEM EMS can control boost
  • AMS Fuel Rail
  • Precision 880cc Injectors
  • 5 hour Tune with AWD dyno, to cover AEM EMS and cam gear tuning
So, the big question is, is this worth the $5k I'll probably drop for the whole thing, and am I missing anything?
I'd do the following:

- Don't spend to go to HKS 264s, but do take the AEM cam gears. It makes no sense to spend $600 to take a step down where cams are concerned. The 272s do not have enough effective duration to send the powerband beyond the operating limits of a 2.3. Furthermore, with effective use of cam gears and HKS 272s, you'll get everything you do with HKS 264s and more. Likewise, it makes little sense to use cam gears with short duration HKS 264s anyway, especially with a 2.3.

- Skip the $150 fuel rail. You don't need it, period.

- Instead, take that $750 you save from unnecessary/undesirable expenses and invest it in a better clutch.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:53 AM

I would *so* love to take that advice... But if I tone down the mods, I spend about $1k less, and end up buying things that I will just want to replace later, so you can see how it'd be kind of a waste. Besides, the difference between $4k and $5k isn't that much to me; they're both just huge numbers. The main cost is really just getting the thing back on the road. All those parts I already own, just need to get them installed.

The only thing I'm really buying from MAC is the AMS stroker kit. I chose to do that because if I didn't buy a stroker kit, I'd need to buy separately new rods, pistons, and possibly a new crank anyway, so... may as well.

Graduating BUD/S will put me at 3rd, but I'll more than likely make it in the next test anyway, so I'm not *too* worried.

Say hi to YN2 for me; I didn't get a chance to say goodbye before I split.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I'd do the following:

- Don't spend to go to HKS 264s, but do take the AEM cam gears. It makes no sense to spend $600 to take a step down where cams are concerned. The 272s do not have enough effective duration to send the powerband beyond the operating limits of a 2.3. Furthermore, with effective use of cam gears and HKS 272s, you'll get everything you do with HKS 264s and more. Likewise, it makes little sense to use cam gears with short duration HKS 264s anyway, especially with a 2.3.

- Instead, take that $750 you save from unnecessary/undesirable expenses and invest it in a better clutch.
Ditto... I was thinking the same thing when I saw "Stroker" and "Exedy Single Disk" in the same post.

- Steve
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:59 AM

Don't spend to go to HKS 264s, but do take the AEM cam gears. It makes no sense to spend $600 to take a step down where cams are concerned. The 272s do not have enough effective duration to send the powerband beyond the operating limits of a 2.3. Furthermore, with effective use of cam gears and HKS 272s, you'll get everything you do with HKS 264s and more.
Are you sure? MAC seems to think the 2.3L stroker will drop the redline to around 6,500, and the 272's don't offer their power band advantages until past 6,000...
Skip the $150 fuel rail. You don't need it, period.
That fuel rail also has a connection for a fuel pressure gauge, witch makes for easy fuel line tapping for the NOS system... that's the main reason for going with it.
Instead, take that $750 you save from unnecessary/undesirable expenses and invest it in a better clutch.
I'm pretty nice to clutches; I don't think I need that much of a clutch. Besides, I already bought it... any other suggestions?
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

I would *so* love to take that advice... But if I tone down the mods, I spend about $1k less, and end up buying things that I will just want to replace later, so you can see how it'd be kind of a waste.
All I'm pointing out is the following:

- Well over 500whp can be achieved on the factory fuel rail.

- Going to HKS 264s from HKS 272s IMO is an undesirable step, especially if you're springing for gears, which are more useful to 272s than 264s anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

That fuel rail also has a connection for a fuel pressure gauge, witch makes for easy fuel line tapping for the NOS system...
What I ment by taking it easy was after you get it on the road and I would say away form the NOS till after you grad. Good luck but dont count your chickens before they hatch only 10% grad buds.

Will Yn2 know you as Dutch if so I will say Hi.

Last edited by schumi; Dec 21, 2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Are you sure? MAC seems to think the 2.3L stroker will drop the redline to around 6,500, and the 272's don't offer their power band advantages until past 6,000...
I'm sure Ted will respond to this more eloquently that I will, but basically cam gears can be used to fine tune the powerband, and by advancing the cams and dialing in a little more overlap (yes you read that right, more) you can shift that powerband back down to a usable RPM range while still flowing more air than the smaller cams would ahve let you. The drawback? Less detonation tolerance...

That fuel rail also has a connection for a fuel pressure gauge, witch makes for easy fuel line tapping for the NOS system... that's the main reason for going with it.
Makes sense....

I'm pretty nice to clutches; I don't think I need that much of a clutch. Besides, I already bought it... any other suggestions?
Damn... seriously, I would sell the single disk and go with a twin setup. A stroker is going to make a lot of torque, and even driving very nicely you're going to be working that clutch.

- Steve
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:04 PM

Ok, point taken. I'll stick with the 272's, and if I really just gotta see for myself, maybe I'll try swapping some other time... cam installs on evo's are pretty easy, anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

I am using HKS 280s, and I develop peak torque (and a ton of it) around 4400rpm, and peak hp around 6400rpm. Hmmmmm, how did I do that?

Furthermore, 6500rpm is a very conservative redline for a properly built 2.3.

Better to ask advice before you buy. I think you will need/want a better clutch, but that's just me.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:09 PM

Better to ask advice before you buy. I think you will need/want a better clutch, but that's just me.
My stock clutch lasted me 30k miles, which I hear is pretty damned long... so, if this one (which supposedly holds about 40% better) only lasts me another 30k, I'll be happy. And then I'll buy a twin plate.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 12:56 PM

Being forced into doing some serious upgrades has its advantages... no more "should I, shouldn't I" crap; just gotta do it in order to have my car back. Much easier to justify...

With all the mods in my sig (should be done in about 3 weeks), anybody care to hazard a guess on what sort of numbers I should make?
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by schumi
What I ment by taking it easy was after you get it on the road and I would say away form the NOS till after you grad. Good luck but dont count your chickens before they hatch only 10% grad buds.
Definitely agree with you there. And definitely not counting those chickens, either... I *am* a realist. I'm just a realist that's aiming real high.
Will Yn2 know you as Dutch if so I will say Hi.
Maybe. He'll definitely remember me as "Stiphout," though.
Old Dec 21, 2005 | 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'd do the following:

I agree 100% with this, and would also say to stick with the MBC. Easy to use, and no real reason to spend money on something else. Also, my next step is a stroker kit, and I will be spinning it to at least 8,000 RPM, possibly higher if my engine builder says it will hold together and the dyno sheet shows any advantage to spinning it that high.

Keith

Last edited by Fourdoor; Dec 21, 2005 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Blew my engine, please help!!!