Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blew my engine, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:19 AM

Blew my engine, please help!!!

Well, there's a surprise. A newbie who tried to do too much before he knew what he was doing blew up his engine. Har har. I am just too cool for my own good.

Actually, I'm having fun, save for my ulcerating wallet...

But I could use some help... Here's what happened:

I was testing out my shift light (my aem ems is set to use my CEL as the chift light), and I had my engine up around 8k rpm for a little too long at about 28psi boost. Yeah, just stupid, I know. Gotta learn the hard way, sometimes, I guess.

Anyway, "something" went. Later post-mortem revealed that my #1 thru #3 spark plugs were covered black, and #4 was covered black and missing some metal. A compression test has revealed that #1 thru #3 cylinders still hold a normal 145psi, but #4 holds only 40psi.

Yuck.

So, either that piece of metal came out a valve and tore up a valve/cylinder head seat or it went down the side of my cylinder wall between the piston and wall and scored the hell out of it. So, I need to replace the head or the block.

Any thoughts? Did I miss anything? And, how much should I pay for a new 4g63 short block? Can I use 4g64 parts? Should I just buy a new engine? Which engines will fit? etc...

Thanks much!
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

You will need to pull the motor out and replace your pistons. Depending on the size of the chunk you can prolly bore it out a little and toss in the pistons and new rings and call it day.
-James
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

your lookin at a couple grand give or take for a new short block from mitsu.
I would do a 2.3 liter stroker using a 4g64 crank. I believe someone on here is in the process of doing that right now. Do a search for it and im sure you will be able to come up with more answers than i could give you.
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt you would need a new short block. I bet you cracked a piston. If you did any scarring to the cylinder walls you can bore and put oversized pistons in. While you're in there get some stronger rods along with forged pistons, they can take more of a beating. Just hope you didn't do any damage to the head, combustion chamber with any loose metal pieces that may be in there. Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Wow someone actually taking responsibility for their own actions That's a hard trait to find in todays society.

Like other said, you'll have to pull the head off to see what happened. Keep in mind you'll also want to check the turbo/wastegate cause if whatever broke got sucked out... yea... it'll be an even worse day.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

From what I've heard, built engines tend to be plagued with problems. Also, boring out cylinders and replacing all the pistons, rings, etc. Is nothing to be taken lightly. These modern engines are put together very precisely. If you look around you'll find all sorts of numbers and markings which denote exactly what numbered parts must be ordered to replace each part of your engine. Knowing what I know now (which might not be enough), I'd either rebuild the engine with the exact parts the factory used or if there is too much damage, I'd get a Mitsubishi short block. I sure as hell would not let just any mechanic "rebuild" that engine for me. There is a whole lot more to rebuilding engines than 99% of mechanics think or know...... Be careful and don't waste your money and time with doubtful solutions.

My $.02
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Great attitude Post some pics of the destruction when you get it sorted.
Goodluck!
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:52 AM
Account Disabled

28PSI? On pump Gas?
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
From what I've heard, built engines tend to be plagued with problems. Also, boring out cylinders and replacing all the pistons, rings, etc. Is nothing to be taken lightly. These modern engines are put together very precisely. If you look around you'll find all sorts of numbers and markings which denote exactly what numbered parts must be ordered to replace each part of your engine. Knowing what I know now (which might not be enough), I'd either rebuild the engine with the exact parts the factory used or if there is too much damage, I'd get a Mitsubishi short block. I sure as hell would not let just any mechanic "rebuild" that engine for me. There is a whole lot more to rebuilding engines than 99% of mechanics think or know...... Be careful and don't waste your money and time with doubtful solutions.

My $.02

While I disagree about the reliability of a built motor, I do agree that you get what you pay for. If you want a reliable motor, expect to pay good $$
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

My $.02
I would definitely agree there, at no point would i consider have a shop rebuild this motor as any type of positive oppurtunity. Tolerances are never as precise as a factory built short block, I'd most likely buy a replacement shortblock for the $1500 or so it costs with a connection.
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

My $.02
I agree man, it's so refreshing to see someone with your positive and good attitude. Best of luck getting it fixed and running again hopefully sooner than later.
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

My $.02
That is a good point man.
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

DAMN! Sorry to hear about that. Wish I had some answers.
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

uhh you weren't running that 100 shot of No2 directport at the time were you?????????
Old Apr 8, 2005 | 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^ i didnt even see that nos direct port =)

Quick Reply: Blew my engine, please help!!!