Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worth installing 02 housing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humpevo311
since when does it hold the turbo's weight last time i checked the downpipe bolted too it? Alot of cracking is most likely caused by rigid dp's with no flex sections bending against it.
I have the Helix O2 housing and I had to remove a factory bracket that supported some of the weight from the trubo and minifold. I also was unable to re-use the factory heat shield. (for now, but with a little dremel work I might get it to fit)

As for the O2 Housing cracking, the Helix I have is some heavy gauge stuff, I mean really thick. I really think my turbo will die before the heat cycling will be enough to stress the housing to the point of cracking.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Alot of reasons why after market o2 housings break and whatnot is because they only have 2 bolts and the stocker has 3. This doesn't make it as strong as the stocker because it doesn't have as much force holding it on. Works is in the process of making a new o2 housing with 3 bolts, if anything I would wait for that.
and its cast so its going to be just as good as the stocker in terms of rigidity
Old Apr 9, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

can you buy a ported stock one from buschur and then send yours in for a core and get some money back?

staton
Old Apr 9, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
I have the Helix O2 housing and I had to remove a factory bracket that supported some of the weight from the trubo and minifold. I also was unable to re-use the factory heat shield. (for now, but with a little dremel work I might get it to fit)

As for the O2 Housing cracking, the Helix I have is some heavy gauge stuff, I mean really thick. I really think my turbo will die before the heat cycling will be enough to stress the housing to the point of cracking.

One has already cracked. I think alot of the people who put it in have a placebo effect. They think it does a huge difference. You'll probably notice better spool up and thats about it. Its a worthless mod as far as money is concerned.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
One has already cracked. I think alot of the people who put it in have a placebo effect. They think it does a huge difference. You'll probably notice better spool up and thats about it. Its a worthless mod as far as money is concerned.
thats a pretty bold statement to make without showing a dyno graph to validate your statement(not tryin to start anything, im just sayin so please dont take it the wrong way)

honestly, I really havent seen a graph with a comparo so whos to say but all the posts Ive seen with people that have them said they made gains and 1 post(i cant seem to find it...go figure )said that it made about 10whp but he didnt have a dyno graph
Old Apr 9, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qbbraveheart
and its cast so its going to be just as good as the stocker in terms of rigidity
Exactly, if I ever plan on upgrading my O2 Housing i'm going to with that works one. I think its a bit more expensive but its worth the peice of mind knowing its not going to have problems.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
I find your statement disturbing since I have NOT made any comments concering the performance of this particular mod.

I have chosen to comment on the fitment and quality of the piece, nothing more.

Rest assured, if something ever does go wrong, I will snap some pics and post away.

Another thing, most people don't purchase this mod to work alone, it is part of the whole exhaust system, so when combined with a dp, high flow cat (or test pipe) and a cat back, all the exhaust pieces will benifit and work in harmony. That is the purpose of all mods, no?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a ported and ceramic coated factory O2 housing for you to see:
http://users2.ev1.net/~subaru/evo_web/evo_exhaust.htm
Old Apr 9, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

how much could i find a stock 02 housing for??? i stripped one of the bolts and there is only one bolt holding my downpipe on...
Old Apr 9, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by humpevo311
since when does it hold the turbo's weight last time i checked the downpipe bolted too it? Alot of cracking is most likely caused by rigid dp's with no flex sections bending against it.
There is braket bolted to the O2 housing and the block to hold it in place. It's about 1/4 in. thick.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buschur was doing exchange with cores but cores weren't working out so now you ship your and when it arrive your new one will be shipped, prvided there are completed ones in stock.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
So you are hitting full boost at 1750 RPMs?

Go with a ported stocker. Not only will it last but it will also support the weight of the turbo.
That doesn't make too much sense, does it? I never said it hit full boost, it simply spools noticably faster in my opinion. Good catch, though! Oh, and I'm also running mine without the heat shield. I couldn't get it to fit. I've talked to several mechanics who don't believe it will be a problem.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO

Well I've heard horror stories of cracked O2 housings from other people. I guess I'm going to hold off until more people are running this mod. I have heard that it does make a big difference in flow and performance from several mechanics who work on evo's.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

i think o2 housing along will not make much hp. maybe with ported manifold and turbo housing,. it s all about balance.
Old May 2, 2005, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

No dyno yet?