Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can you adjust the MAF (VAF) ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005 | 05:40 PM

Question Can you adjust the MAF (VAF) ??

I was talking to my local tuner guy ealier about vta type blow off valves and the mass air flow sensor problems. He said blah blah, how the ecu can adjust itself. Then he offered to tune (adjust) my MAF. He told me that there is this screw on the bottom of my MAF and the can turn it to allow more air in, which tells the ECU to give more fuel. If i have a VTA BOV, doesnt that mean my car already is running a little rich? is he correct about the MAF adjust? I told him I would get back to him on Monday whether if i want to adjust or not... Does anyone know about this?
P.S. i did a search until 6am this morning about MAFs

thanks very much
Old Apr 10, 2005 | 08:06 PM

any one know about this??
plz help
Old Apr 10, 2005 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

you cant adjust maf. there is no screw.
hks eids will help vta bov's or stand alone ecu for speed density.
maybe blow by with utec?
Old Apr 10, 2005 | 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

You can't adjust the MAF. I think it's the screw on the throttle body that he's refering to.
Old Apr 10, 2005 | 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

I've seen a few different mitsubishi MAF's.. I don't recall seeing any of them with an adjustment screw. Its possible he's thinking of the 1G DSM MAF, I have never seen one of those up close to know anything about them.

The ECU is capable of adjusting to some conditions, but a VTA condition is where you release air from the induction system after it has been metered, which means that the computer thinks there's more air so it adds more fuel, you release the air and get a very rich condition.. Of course there are other MAF anomolies that happen to cause stalling that tweaking can help, besides the BISS setting (Basically an Idle adjustment) there's very little to physically adjust under the hood.

There are no really good inexpensive solutions to allow you to use a VTA valve, and its not recommended on the evo unless you are running something capable of tolerating the venting (something that meters after the valve)

The HKS EIDS is capable of helping this, but it does it at the expense of throttle response and to some extent other forms of drivability.

do a search, this has actually been discussed umpteen times in the past.
Old Apr 10, 2005 | 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

This is what he's talking about;
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...adjustment.htm
I didn't check mine when I had it off, so I don't know for sure if it applies to Evo's too.
Old Apr 11, 2005 | 05:36 AM

wow, nice info , thanks a lot. I guess I shouldn't even mention about adjusting that MAF screw to the tuner. For some reason, my car idles fine even w/ a VTA BOV, w/o any adjustments.