Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Gas = Blown Piston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:27 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
You better get your damn money. If they don't settle, get a lawyer. I beg you not to let this slide.
I'm seriously so annoyed by this crap. I tryed pumping my gas for a while but got yelled at because of this. I usually use the same station because they know me and I dont have to worry. But this time I was in a rush and was past E so i had to fill up, just bad luck.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:27 PM

u better go back and have them put it in writing, that they put in the wrong gas and have them sign it.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Lower octane in the engine of an evo will cause detonation. Detonation, sometimes reffered as knock, is when the gas in the engine is igniting before the spark fires. Detonation occurs when the gasoline in the engine is pressurized by the upstroke of the piston combined with the boost pressure of the turbo. All gasoline no matter what octane it is will explode if pressurized enough. But the octane rating gives an indication of how much pressure it can take before it will explode before it is ignited. 87 octane gas in more prone to explode before 93 octane. So what happened was that the car was detonating which cause extra heat to be exposed to your piston and it melted it.
Correct, but would'nt the ecu retard timing where it detected knock (aka) "safe mode?"
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:35 PM
Former Vendor

not if they cant speak or read english..

Originally Posted by antonio010
Why don't you just take your owners manual and show them. There's a detailed explanation regarding the evo and different octane levels. My car even has a sticker on the fuel door that says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY". It's kinda hard to mess up seeing that there everytime you pop the door. Although, I don't know if that's there on the 03's.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's supposed to! (Retard timing) I wonder why it didn't....
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Lol
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

okay...you can def. get a lawyer and sue...of course if they don't agree to pay for all the damages first..which includes fixing your piston and pumping out all the 87 out of your tank.

If this is a national chain, they have lawyers themselves, but they're probably decided its cheaper to fix your car at their expense than to go thru the suit. It's def cheaper for you to get it fix than hire a lawyer

sorry for you luck. But good luck.

Last edited by mdosu; Apr 12, 2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

yeah this is a Exxon Mobil Station
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

just fyi...

I've heard of stories where ppl get bad gas at these major gas chains....the gas is so bad it really messes up their engines...
But as long as they had the receipt which proved they got the bad batch of gas, these gas chains always seems to admit their mistake and fix everything on their expense with no need for laywers...

but these are just stories I've heard, not first hand experience.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

I hope i dont have to go thought the trouble of getting a lawyer.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

just a suggestion, you might want to go back to the gas station and have that all put in writing,however when you do make them sign, make sure you can id them i.e have their drivers license number etc in case they give you bogus info or get a video camera, and also i wouldn't mention anything about sueing them when you make them sign the paper, they will be reluctant to sign, instead just make up some bull**** story that your dealer needed to know what happened etc for warranty purposes. cover your bases.

Nebo
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Smart idea nebolic. If they can't read English, too bad for them, ignorance is not an excuse.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
I think it's supposed to! (Retard timing) I wonder why it didn't....
Yeah , what happined ??
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo11V
says on the door premium fuel only

I STONGLY AGREE. They are going against a mfgr wanring sticker. They should be liable to some extent. They went against mfgr wanring sticker and it caused damage to your car. They should pay. Maybe next time the pump monkey will read the warning in the fuel door.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo11V
I hope i dont have to go thought the trouble of getting a lawyer.
I might guess that you might kinda have to in this one... I don't know too many gas stations that are going to fork over $$$ without a lawer.

Quick Reply: Bad Gas = Blown Piston