Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Gas = Blown Piston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005 | 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HemiBaby
I NEVER let anyone pump fuel in my car JUST FOR THIS REASON.
Did you bother to read the thread at all? He lives in a state where it is illegal to pump your own gas. You have a lot of nerve to come on here and call someone (that you no nothing about) a liar. Maybe your thoughts have holes in them.
Old Apr 22, 2005 | 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thank god I live in a self serve state.
Old Apr 22, 2005 | 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Why were my posts removed?
Old Apr 22, 2005 | 09:07 PM

damn... this happened to me too..... i went to mobil and ask for super fill up.... it came up really cheap.. and i asked the attendant if he put super.. he said yes yes.. then i left... i made a quick U-turn cause i saw the receipt... damn..... nothing happened to my engine tho..and they did not replace the fuel.... i didnt drive hard for about a week... do you think it could have done something to my engine too? it has been for about 2 months now... so im hoping no....

sorry to hear that bro.. it really sucks in jersey.... cant even pump your own gas.. ohh.. and they always drip that **** on ur paint....
Old Apr 22, 2005 | 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

22 PSI?
Reflashed ECU?
MBC?

87 may have had something to do with the detonation and melted piston, but only because of the mods. The knock sensor and the ECU should have have pulled timing to prevent detonation, even on 87 octane. Did the ECU reflash mess with the ignition timing curve at all?
Old Apr 22, 2005 | 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donutmonkey
22 PSI?
Reflashed ECU?
MBC?

87 may have had something to do with the detonation and melted piston, but only because of the mods. The knock sensor and the ECU should have have pulled timing to prevent detonation, even on 87 octane. Did the ECU reflash mess with the ignition timing curve at all?
Yes the flash changed ignition timing for sure.
Your are correct in your point. Crank up the boost to 22 PSI and lean out the pig rich factory mixture and you can bet that cheap 87 octane fuel will detonate. The ECU is not going to compensate for that kind of boost when the maps have been changed. I am sure the tune was perfectly safe for 93 or 94 octane, there is a big difference between 94 and 87. Everyone is harping on the owners manual but they don't realize that the peak was 19 and it drops to 16. If you realistically compare 16 psi to 22 PSI that is a big difference.
87 is the crudest gasoline pumped, it is no where near refined like the higher grades.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by Evo11V
Dont take this the wrong way, I'm just not one of those people who will not take credit for a mistake they've made, or try lying so they dont look bad.
My replies were removed , I don't know why Say what you want. To melt a motor the way yours did has a lot more to do than with bad gas theory is the Point i'm trying to convey wether you believe or not. I'm surprised Dynoflash did not install his methanol kit to prevent a failure like this. VERY ODD indeed . Maybe the next time? Good luck with your law suit & rebuild.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 07:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Not sure why all the talk about safe air-fuel ratio. The issue with octane has more to do with timing advance and the way the ECU reacts to knock events. I'm not familiar with the Mitsu ECU, but on my factory GM ECU you can adjust how much knock the ECU has to see to pull timing, how much timing is pulled once it starts pulling timing in response to knock, how fast it pulls it, how fast timing recovers after a knock event, etc. I'm not saying that the poster had an unsafe tune, but I'm just pointing out that air-fuel is not the be all and end all.
Actually a/f ratio and timing have a ket role to play in a very important parameter - EGT

Whap happens is as the 87 octane fuel starts to deotonate - cuasing termendous mechanical and physical stress to the pistons; the ecu (set to stock knock parameteres) starts to quickly retard the ignition timing to below zero advance. The limit is about -2 or -3. This - coupled with the slightly leaner a/f ratio of the flash results in super high egts as the combustion event is not fully completeing due to the retarded timing. This High EGT condition results in even more detonation and cylinder temps rising higher and higher.

In this case ONE piston of the 4 proved to be slightly weaker and the ring lands (weak spot) broke - the other 3 pistons were fine

It was cylinder # 4 - the last one to see higher fuel presure due to the fuel rail configuration on the rising rate fuel pressure regulator. On spool up conditions this cylinder is suspectable to transient lean conditions untill the fuel hydrolic pressure works its way down the fuel rail and riases all 4 injectors to an even fuel pressure.

To summarize - don't run 87 octane fuel in your evo. Stock you may be able to get away with it - but once you are over 320 whp or nearaly 400 engine hp - the motor can no longer take the stress of this kind of knock.

As an aside - with fiorged pistons - the engine could prob survive brief periods of operation, however extended knocka nd high egts can destroy any motor.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

one bottle of octane booster might helped with 87 in this situation?
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 03:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by yesevo
one bottle of octane booster might helped with 87 in this situation?
Needless to say that running at least 91 octane is a requirement when running high boost and a modified evo with a tune
Old May 4, 2005 | 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'd kill someone......
Old May 6, 2005 | 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I just read this thread, sorry to bring it up again but I have to rant here. This is the prime reason why I hate not being able to pump my own gas (Oregon is full service only). I can't even count the times that some idiot gas pumper dropout has tried to put regular in my cars after I ask for premium. For a while I was carrying a couple of gallons of toluene around in my Impulse just for when one of those rejects does put in the wrong gas (one time at a place where they had a garage I made them drain the tank). Now I just make sure to watch which button they hit every time.
This makes me so mad I don't understand why we can't have self-service stations. It's like people here think they're better than people in other states.
Old May 7, 2005 | 10:57 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

yep i hear ya, I usually watch but I was in a rush becuase I was going away for 4 days with the army in the field and was on the phone at 9:30pm making plans for the next day. Of course the one time I dont watch the guy does something crazy like putting in 87.

Update: Finally got an estimate and its going to cost $6k to do the job right with relyable parts. Most of it is machine shop labor and labor in general. Parts were a little more then 2k.
Still waiting on the gas station I'm going to go there today and ***** since they've said they are contacting the rep and he "doesnt show up." If this contines I'm going to have to find a lawyer next week if I dont hear anything by this week.

I'll probably end up paying and they'll just have to reimburse me.
Old May 7, 2005 | 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

You should just get a quote from a Mitsu dealer for replacing the motor (just bottom end I assume) and use that to prove your damages. Unless your car is nearly new there will probably be some discount on that for pre-existing wear and tear. By the way, have you contacted your insurer about this? There's a chance that this could be covered by your comprehensive policy (maybe). If you can make that claim then you can leave the lawsuit in the hands of the insurance company.
Old May 24, 2005 | 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

any updates?

Quick Reply: Bad Gas = Blown Piston