Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Gas = Blown Piston

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005 | 08:53 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

sure:

Update is I contacted Exxon Headquarters (customer service line) reported the problem since the station was running me around. Then "Exxon" (headquarters) called the station owners and scared them. Which I would highly recomend if you have the same problem ever.

Since the station is individually owned by the station individual and not exxon run I have to go though the station it self. So about a week later they asked me for an estimate which I gave them last wednesday. They contacted their insurance company as well as send the information to exxon to look in to (so they say) and then I'm waiting for them to give me the answer before Friday.

I'm still with out my car, I didnt want Pruven to start and then have some **** like they want to look at the car bla bla bla ect, so i'm playing it safe right now. Hopefully they will call me and just give me a check and this will be finished and done with.

The total came out to 6k totaly fixed. I'm also probably going to do the jetcoating and proting of the exhaust manafold and 02 housing, and do the 10.5 hotside since the stuff is already off the car.

I'll make sure I give you the answer when I get it. any questions please pm me or msg me on aol im.

Brett
Old May 24, 2005 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

It takes the whole 6k to fix it or can you use that to build your motor?
Old May 24, 2005 | 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'm using it to build my engine, believe it or not it comes out to about the same using stock parts and parts that are upgraded. This is only because the labor is more then half the price. in my case using oem i would have to get a whole new shortblock vs. a engine build which cost just about the same maybe a few hundered more.
Old May 28, 2005 | 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I finally convinced Exxon that it is possiable to have that trouble with your engine from putting in a lower octane fuel.

Now they are just trying to see if they can put it though their insurance or they have to pay or they can make exxon pay. So I got one step closer, and gave them this coming tuesday a deadline before I bring them to court. (that shook them up) So we shall see by tuesday.

As for the car i just gave pruven the ok to start the job since by time they take the block out ect and order the parts tuesday will be around. As of now I'm paying from my pocket until i see what happens on tuesday. Hopefully this crap will be over before I leave for military training on Thursday morning.
Old May 28, 2005 | 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah and I also am going ahead with the Ported and Jet coated Exhaust manafold and 02 housing, and the 10.5hotside. Hopefully that will yield me another 30whp or so, hopefully the rebuild will give me some more and put me at around 370whp. Then in the spring I can put the intercooler piping in and the Alky kit, and have a 400+whp beast!
Old May 28, 2005 | 06:26 PM
Bar

Good Luck!
Old May 28, 2005 | 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

that's cool, maybe it will out work out for the better in the end besides all the downtime of course.
Old May 28, 2005 | 06:45 PM

Glad this is panning out for ya. *knock on wood*

That's why I make it a point to NEVER stop for gas in Oregon. Hilt, CA to Vancouver, WA is an easy tankfull, though the gas light scares me every time. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the pump restriction in NJ the one time I drove through there. I can't stand full serve. Move to Arizona, you'll be safe here.
Old May 28, 2005 | 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Weird, I saw your receipt today when I was at Pruven, it was like $5-6k and I was wondering why a new engine was needed and right at the bottom is said .. BAD GAS!!!

Dude, I live in NJ too. I find the best way to avoid retard indians who cant speak english is to go to Sunoco. You get fine American workers that speak English. Their grammar may be off but when you say 93 or SUPER... you get it.

I have gotten bad gas 2 times in my cars. Once in my Talon, which I almost blew the motor but luckily didnt, and one time in my EVO... luckily I caught it while it was going in and only 3 gallons went in.

Just do yourself a favor, AVOID mobil/exxon. Thats what I do. BOTH TIMES this happened was at Exxon, to different ones. I specifically say 93. Not Super, or Premium, b/c its all different everyplace ya go. I dont get how you say 93 then they look at hte 87 button and hit it.... *******s!!!! GL man
Old May 28, 2005 | 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

I hear ya, Actually I usually only go to Sunoco. They know me there and I dont even really have to ask unless its a new guy but they are all american there.

The reason I stoped was because It was 9:30pm I was well on E 15 miles from home, and I had to be somewhere for 5am. Since the Sunoco station I usually go to closes after 9pm and does not open at 5 for sure I figued it is easiest. I only stop at that Exxon because it is on the way home and sometimes I'm way to low to make and I dont feel like taking the chance. Guess from now on I'll have to fill up more often at Sunoco soon as I approach E. Well if I ever do go to another station now you can be sure I'll pump my own gas and if they have a problem I'll say C-ya.

Well at least I'll get a built engine out of the deal.
Old May 28, 2005 | 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, im happy to hear u got this thing figured out! Good luck on the engine bro and hopefully Exxon will own up to their stupidity!
Old May 28, 2005 | 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

yeah its not fully finished yet, still dealing with the station, it is like 90% finished they have until tuesday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed or else this will go to court.
Old May 29, 2005 | 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck man. I hope everything works out for you.

...I need to go to bed