Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Considering class-act lawsuit against Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, the chances of Mitsu owning up to it are zilch. It is thier reputation to lie, cheat and steal to avoid admitting any fault. Hence the reason why they are in hot water all the time and losing thier shirt.
I understand what you are trying to do and don't argue it. The stocker club needs to be the one to step up and complain and get something like this going.

The biggest problem is, who wants to go through all of this for a ****ty rebuild when they can just get the best rebuild from Shep or TRE and not have to worry about it. A good majority of people who have had rebuilds and replacements from a Mitsubishi dealer have had more problems or related problems due to poorly trained technicians. I myself could rebuild it myself and know it would turn out good but at the same time I don't have the depth of knowledge about this transmission that these guys have. I don't know how many people would really want the recall done by Mitsu to fix the problem. They should pay X to Shep or TRE on an as broken basis to make up for thier shortcomings. I haven't gotten a recall done yet and get cards in the mail all the time. I did the water one (O2) and don't give a **** about sticker recalls.
Mitsubishi deserves whatever it gets in the end because they just plain suck on so many levels.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smittyinva
The Buscher cars DO NOT RETAIN THE FACTORY WARRANTY. They are warrantied by MEDINA MITSUBISHI ONLY.
I guess whomever buys one better not move out of the state of OH. Else he would have one heck of a tow bill back to Medina Mitsubishi. Or would they just send the repair bill back to Medina to be paid if and when Mitsu denies the warranty claim. That makes no sense to me...

Brian
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timzcat
They should pay X to Shep or TRE on an as broken basis to make up for thier shortcomings. I haven't gotten a recall done yet and get cards in the mail all the time. I did the water one (O2) and don't give a **** about sticker recalls.
Mitsubishi deserves whatever it gets in the end because they just plain suck on so many levels.
Exactly what a class action lawsuit could provide. It would also ensure that anyone that has such a problem could have the shop of thier choice fix the problem with at least some compensation from Mitsu. Thats what I am going to try to do.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I guess whomever buys one better not move out of the state of OH. Else he would have one heck of a tow bill back to Medina Mitsubishi. Or would they just send the repair bill back to Medina to be paid if and when Mitsu denies the warranty claim. That makes no sense to me...

Brian
Well since Evo's NEVER break (lol) they shouldn't have to worry. Ive never seen Mitsubishi even look twice at warrantying a problem. Those cars will sell like hotcakes.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG

Brian
If this is the case I think Medina is covering anything related to the mods done by Bushur. Warranty covers any real failures due to defect (we could only dream). I am sure they have it worked out in some way to offer the coverage as best as possible, which may be more then what you get now on a stock car.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

NHTSA hits hard. Everyone who has ever had the clearance problem needs to go to the website and complain. A couple hundred complaints and they will not ignore it and will investigate the problem and declare a recall. Most manufacturers will not volunteer a recall unless their hand is forced.

I am more on page with you if the intention is to go after them for the inproper clearance, regardless of modification all will fail in time. You will need people like Shep and TRE to provide the expert testimony that verifies that the condition exists outside of what Mitsu is claiming.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

I plan of having whomever it is, most likely Shepherd make sure that he documents and takes pictures of any faulty parts inside the transmission. Im glad you figured out my point now I knew I would blow it. When I did I assumed it was my fault and prepared to pay for it. Once I learned that it is most likely not at all my fault (At least this time) it makes me wonder how many people have this problem. Like i said, it really only takes one time for this tranny to lock up and kill a family of four.

The funny part about most of this is the stealership is the one giving me the hassle it seems. I doubt that even Mitsubishi knows of this happening. I am trying to find a way to get a hold of someone other than just the stealership to maybe do something.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well interestingly enough, Mitsubishi Corp headquarters in CA decided that any part that is removed from the vehicle, unless done do by a Mitsubishi Authorized Dealer, has the warranty voided for that particulair part. According to Melinda (Would not give any other name or ID numbers) said on page 6-7 in our manual it states that specifically. I asked her if another shop changes a clutch on the transmission is the transmission warranty voided because they had to remove the transmission? She replied yes. I always thought the Magnus-Moss Warranty act prevented companies from doing and saying that. I wonder if they are voiding warranties for people having thier oil changed at non-dealer locations. If someone replaces your diff fluid aside from the dealer I guess those are not warrantied either. Same with removing the glove box to get to the cabin filter. The list goes on. Now I really feel bad for the people that should have a 100% good warranty. I am quite sure they will never get it warrantied.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Like I said, I dont mind paying at all. I already pulled the tranny to get it built. The problem that I have is if the part was improperly assembled by mitsu from the get-go. They should cover the cost to fix it. They obviously won't but thats not the point. If they say any power adder will void a transmission warranty then they would need to actually figure out exactly how much power the tranny can take before it would blow. It gets very complicated. And who is to say what parts = power and what dont? Would a cat-back void the transmission warranty? I mean that would be rediculous. Im making it class action so that people that have had problems with Mitsu UNFAIRLY declining warranty that they get treated properly. Im not trying to make it so people that have the amount of mods that my car does to get free motors every time they blow em. Or free transmissions everytime they blow them. But it mitsu screwed up making something, they should fix it.
From what I've gathered from long talks with a warranty rep the only two things that will not void the warranty is a drop in filter and a cat back exhaust.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

isn't mitsu's problem inheirent in the fact that they have little to no control over their dealerships?

unlike other vehicle manufacturers, mitsu's dealers have absolutely no consistency in their pricing or servicing from one to another.

i think the dealerships need to start practicing what mitsu is preaching.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:57 PM

I had the same problem here recently. My oil line sprung a leak after only 3 weeks of owning the car, and Mitsu, after acknowledging that the problem was not due to any fault of mine, but rather their poor work while installing the line, voided the warranty because I had a CAI on the car. How that makes any sense I will never know. More power to anyone that can make Mitsu pay for their mistakes.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This thread is bullcrap. tranny hasn't even come apart and you are blaming mitsubishi. Let me clarify that I build mitsu trannies for a living. have built around 100 or so in the last few years. Before mitsu trannies I built porsche trannies. I have seen the insides of hundreds of trannies. It doesn't take a whole lot of working knowledge to understand An improperly shimmed part inside the tranny is not gonna cause the tranny to blow. I have seen bearings so worn that the shafts moved 1/8th inch. Customers drove these whinning trannies thousands of miles before they could afford a rebuild. Without doing any real damage gear wise.

Sorry you guys really are just looking for a free lunch. Bringing the burshur cars in like that is a good point is equally stupid. You will pay extra for those dealer approved mods from the getgo. Did you pay extra for warraty cause you were going to be modding your car to make more horsepower? Of course not. Sorry you guys are just off on this. Mitsu has every right to void the drivetrain warraty as soon as the car gets modded. The fact that the tranny may have gone out in unmodded condition is just your tuff luck.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a common problem. But whos to blame. If GEARS is right then what can you do. If your engine exploded because of factory improperly installed parts and injured you or someone in the car then that may be cause for such a lawsuit, but it is a tranny. No offense but the tranny is crap anyway get a better one, afterall you have already "voided" the factory warranty.

Just my two cents. Good luck, if you could do something then more power to you.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

If you want to start a class action lawsuit, how exactly is the "class" defined in this case?

It sounds like you just want to hit Mitsu because of your own personal experience, not because there are many EVO owners with the same problem as you...

Cabo

Quick Reply: Considering class-act lawsuit against Mitsubishi