Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Considering class-act lawsuit against Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
This thread is bullcrap. tranny hasn't even come apart and you are blaming mitsubishi. Let me clarify that I build mitsu trannies for a living. have built around 100 or so in the last few years. Before mitsu trannies I built porsche trannies. I have seen the insides of hundreds of trannies. It doesn't take a whole lot of working knowledge to understand An improperly shimmed part inside the tranny is not gonna cause the tranny to blow. I have seen bearings so worn that the shafts moved 1/8th inch. Customers drove these whinning trannies thousands of miles before they could afford a rebuild. Without doing any real damage gear wise.

Sorry you guys really are just looking for a free lunch. Bringing the burshur cars in like that is a good point is equally stupid. You will pay extra for those dealer approved mods from the getgo. Did you pay extra for warraty cause you were going to be modding your car to make more horsepower? Of course not. Sorry you guys are just off on this. Mitsu has every right to void the drivetrain warraty as soon as the car gets modded. The fact that the tranny may have gone out in unmodded condition is just your tuff luck.
You sir are a real genius.

The fact that the Buschur cars are still backed under the mitsubishi factory warranty is certainly important in this argument. The parts are sold at the same price that you can buy them for at Buschur racing, as per the post that David Buschur himself posted about the BR330 and BR350. This was what surpised him, was that they didnt try to rape the people buying these cars. So you arent paying extra for them from the getgo as you stated above.

The fact that so many tranny problems and transfer case problems exist in a certain vehicle tells you that something is underdesigned or there are some defects in the transmissions. Whether these defects are accelerated by higher power production is unknown.

You may think they have a right to void the drivetrain warranty, but they DO NOT. One example that any half witted moron can see is this: If you have a catback, intake, FMIC, boost controller, and even an aftermarket clutch. If your car exhibits the common 5th gear grind problem. Why should your car not be fixed under the TSB. Mitsu admits there was a manufacturers defect in the tranny. If the drivetrain warranty was void then this manufacturers flaw would not be covered. You know as well as I do that this should be covered under warranty and for the most part is.

If the engine blows do to a too lean condition caused by the mods, then I 100% agree the engine SHOULD NOT be replaced or fixed under warranty. I think you have to use COMMON SENSE in voiding certain components of the warranty. And that has been were mitsubishi has not always used common sense. Alot of times they do the right thing, but sometimes they void the warranty without even knowing what the failure is. They void the warranty because the car is making more than 271 HP and 273 ft lbs of torque and dont specify what paticular modification was responsible for causing the failure (that they havent even diagnosed yet).

For the record, I dont have any unsolved problems with my car at this time. I have only had 1 warranty issue to speak off and it was a TSB for the 5th gear grind, and I had an HKS twin disc in mine. My dealership had some common sense and didnt even question that the clutch could have cause the failure. I put my stock clutch back in because I needed to get new discs for the HKS twin after quite a few 1/4 miles passes, and I couldnt get them in a reasonable amount of time. The dealership wanted to get my car out of the shop, I dont blame them for that.

I take care of my car, however I do drive it like a sports car was meant to be driven. I am making a little bit more power than stock, my transfer case is holding up fine and my tranny for the most part has held up very well (minus the 5th gear syncro). If my engine has problems then I will "TUFF IT UP" and accept responsibiliy. If my tranny has problems with shifting again, IMO that is something that should be covered by Mitsubishi. If I break my transfer case while drag racing, will I go crying to the dealer asking for a new one. The answer is "HELL NO".

Brian
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Action is a lose lose win.
People in class Lose
Mistsubishi Lose
Lawyers WIN.
Even if a class action suceeds you would only get a small fraction of the money to replace or rebuild the transmission. The best thing to do is what timzcat suggested complain to the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints they will investigate. If the find something the will force Mitsubishi to do a recall.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will do that with the NHTSA and whomever else. I dont think people still understand the problem. I dont care about my transmission. And for the point of discussion the car still moves and drives fine. It is just quite obviously rubbing the gears inside and I think I would rather get it fixed now before it blows. I want Mitsubishi to take care of thier screw ups. Thats all. I dont care about my car at all. I already talked to a few lawyers regarding the issue and they all told me that in my case best i would do is get my tranny rebuilt and maybe a few bucks on top but paying them would outweight my reward unless i try to sue for more money than is reasonable. I am trying to get people to stand up for themselves. In my case, I could care less about them fixing the tranny. I would have blown it sooner or later regardless. But the fact is, they make crappy parts that break under normal conditions and don't take responsibility for them. Mitsubishi Japan just apparently got sued for the same thing. I am sure Mitsu America has gotten sued plenty for it. Im trying to them to pay for thier cover ups. Especially the 2nd gen eclipses 7-bolt motors.

And for everyone losing in a class action suit, no. They may not get rich however it will set a precident (However you spell it) that will make Mitsubishi think twice before falsly voiding a valid warranty. They may not get thier crap replaced but at least if they ever need anything later chances are they will get it.

As for who the "class" of people are... whoever has been denied warranty service unfairly. So honestly, anyone could easily claim they went to a dealer and the dealer told them to screw off.