Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Power from the HI-Power???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power from the HI-Power???

im looking to get an evo 8 very soon and im not going to modify it a whole lot because its pretty quick out of the box imo. im planning on only getting an air filter and full exhaust. i wanted to get the HKS Hi-Power and HKS DP and was wondering how much power they gain. ive searched and havent found any dyno graphs or anything. BTW if you have any suggestions for exhausts, please tell me the name (of course), how much power it gains, an idea on how loud they are and pricing. thanks a lot!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSYEVO
im looking to get an evo 8 very soon and im not going to modify it a whole lot because its pretty quick out of the box imo. im planning on only getting an air filter and full exhaust. i wanted to get the HKS Hi-Power and HKS DP and was wondering how much power they gain. ive searched and havent found any dyno graphs or anything. BTW if you have any suggestions for exhausts, please tell me the name (of course), how much power it gains, an idea on how loud they are and pricing. thanks a lot!
I run both the HKS DP and Hi Power exhaust. I gained over 20 hp and more than 30 ft lbs of trq. I'll check to see if I can find the chart.

The exhaust isn't loud and there is a shop in Austin selling the Hi Power for $475 shipped. Shot me a PM if you are interested and I'll give you the information.

There are a punch of us in Austin/ San Antonio running this exhaust and I don't know anyone that isn't happy.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

just got mine installed.

i love it. wouldn't look back.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

I just got a 05 gsr and i plan on doing the HKS carbon ti ,and their downpipe.
I've used that exhaust on all my cars
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:53 PM

Hi there

I also plan to instal a HKS, but a dragger cat-back. I guess this doesnt make a real difference as backpressure will be lower here and there.
What I am interested in is the way you gain the power/ torque. Is it only top end or do you already feel a difference in low/ mid rpm. And what about the spool up? Some say it will be worse at low rpm (2500-3000), some say it will be quite a bit better...
Any experiances?
Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kunz
What I am interested in is the way you gain the power/ torque. Is it only top end or do you already feel a difference in low/ mid rpm. And what about the spool up? Some say it will be worse at low rpm (2500-3000), some say it will be quite a bit better...
Any experiances?
Thanks!
yes... please inform
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hks is not maybe loud, - but it gets louder at high rpms which is nice. 2.5 dp gives you nice clearence and good torque on stock Turbo. $425 ? great price.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

The HKS is quiet even with full exhaust at idle and while cruising, but at WOT is loud!! I like it, did notice nice power gains when i only had the catback in. What i dont like it's too quiet at idle. All my friends with other exhausts drown me out , specially the ones with cams, for some reason the exhaust gets louder with cams, dont know why though
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

when do you feel the power and what about spooling?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I get full boost by 3200 rpm. I believe this is probably a few hundred rpm quicker than stock, but I didn't do any real testing with the stock exhaust. I couldn't find my original dyno sheet, but the exhaust and DP made more power across the rpm range.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

yeah just installed mine this past weekend...dp and exhaust....very noticeable torque and horsepower gains and very streetable....and yes....it does get louder as you mash the throttle....

i got the 30th ann. edition....
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:21 PM

...hmm...
Sounds good as far as I can say.
Nice, not to loud sound at idle and cruising, but crying loud at WOT and high rpm, spooling up at least not slower than stock, probably even a bit faster, power gains in the whole range...
...and there will be the lower thermal stress on the engine due to the lower backpressure...what could one want more? If you dont mind to have a louder car, it seems the best you can do and maybe a good basic for installing a boostcontroller (ball-type or EBC) and a filter, which also would make the spool-up and the power quite a bit better.

I noticed the same effect when I changed the cams of my Porsche...got quite a bit louder, more charismatic at idle. This seems to be caused by the overlap of the cams (prol this is not the right word in english, but am sure you understand).
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

the 30th ann edition is just SS piping right? or does it include power differences?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:26 PM
j8
Evolving Member

I run the HKS DP and the HKS carbon ti catback. You are not going to see much HP until you get some sort of tune for it. I would also recommend lossing the cat. I picked up close to 50whp from a MBC and a TBE(with cat delete). This was with a custom ECU tune.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JSYEVO
the 30th ann edition is just SS piping right? or does it include power differences?

30th ann. is full stainless steel...regular Hi Power is mild steel with hi temp coating.....i think it's a bit heavier as well due to the full steel content.

don't think there is much of a power difference either...

Quick Reply: Power from the HI-Power???