Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tired of searching.. Clutch Options opinions.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of searching.. Clutch Options opinions.

I have searched and searched here for clutches, I've seen poles etc.. Now I want input from people running these clutches.. Dont be affraid to list if it has heavy pedal etc. Here is the deal.. I am prolly in the 330-340whp range right now.. And plan to make 400-450whp at the very most.. I use my evo as a daily driver but its usually only in traffic for 10-15 minutes and not alot of stop and go.. I plan to take my car to the drag strip on occasion as I upgrade and frankly the stocker is the worst clutch I have ever seen In any car.. I've driven quite a few vehicles in my day and my buddies stock wrx clutch is holding up to an additional 80whp better than my evo's Basically I am trying to map things out before my clutch goes.. I have 5,000 miles on the car and have already done cams and the basic stuff with FMIC upgrade lower pipe, and some other goodies to come.. I need the most cost effective option for a high 300lb ft car with low to mid 400hp capability.. I am the budget evo owner as I am 21 yrs old and dont have a big income.. Obviously from my experience a CARBON/CARBON would be ideal but not for my income.. I dont have credit cards and would need one for that for sure... I am looking at the RPS line of turbo clutches.. The ACT's, Clutch masters and any other street oriented clutch.. Is a 6 puck better? Can you slip them? I heard no I dont want to break parts and Have heard the pp is so heavy on act's it slows shifting.. I dont need that at all.. Guys please if you dont feel like writing a novel on this as I have just make it short and sweet on why you like or dont like a specific clutch.. Thanks in advance guys.
Andrew
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Search! Lazy...

Budget minded usually go for the ACT. Just because they are cheaper does not mean they are no good either.

I have the exedy Twin. So far I'm happy with it.

Last edited by gadsmevo; Apr 18, 2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT, but my next clutch will be the Exedy twin.

So I say go with the Exedy.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

The ACT shifts fast.. . I've been jamin gears since 1965. My little old lady says only a wimp would complain about the pedal effort. It is not a race clutch anymore than a twin carbon is a daily driver although both can be forced into service in either application.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

My friend has the EXEDY twin it's kinda noisy.. and he says theirs no way to slip it.. I know the last part is bogus cause Al had no issue slipping his off the line.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by humpevo311
My friend has the EXEDY twin it's kinda noisy.. and he says theirs no way to slip it.. I know the last part is bogus cause Al had no issue slipping his off the line.
Give your friend $20 and tell him to let you drive it!

I highly recommend contacing some locals and seeing if there is anyone around that will let you "feel" the options out there. Nothing like driving before you drive.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by MattGold
Give your friend $20 and tell him to let you drive it!

I highly recommend contacing some locals and seeing if there is anyone around that will let you "feel" the options out there. Nothing like driving before you drive.

Good Luck.
You can drive mine for free! I have had the Exedy twin plate metallic.( not sure if its called that, but it wasnt the twin carbon) I now have the triple carbon, which is the quietest, best gripping one yet!!!!!If you are concerned about the cost, down the road its better if you save up for a better one, and forget about it! to get a lesser brand and have to replace it a few times will actually end up costing you more! I would get the exedy twin metallic, AWESOME CLUTCH! or save up for the triple. I pedal feels the same, slight noise but not annoying! I have read on here somewhere the ACT clutch is a great clutch, but the grab characteristics are not that great on AWD applications/ could break something, but then again, the rougher you are on anything the more likely hood you will break something! If you are close to the Midwest, look under wingenwarrior car-show, speed challenge. I am having an import/domestic show-down at the airport, you can drive my car and see how you like the clutch, there will also be other evos there with different clutches! good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

ACT with the street disc. it is the best for the money and performs very well.

I had an exedy twin and it slipped really bad after 6,000 miles and 7 passes down the track. I would not reccommend it.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

act with the fidanza flywheel combo, have hear nothing but good things, and when my clutch goes thats what im getting. I know nolimitmotorsports has a great deal for both.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:15 PM
j8
Evolving Member

I would recommend ACT street disc set-up. I have had mine in the car for 13,000 miles. I hit the track almost monthly with no problems. Great clutch for the money. I have no problems with shifting, feels a little better than stock.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MattGold
...I highly recommend contacing some locals and seeing if there is anyone around that will let you "feel" the options out there. Nothing like driving before you drive.
or buy. I agree. There are different degrees of tolerance and priorities whether it's pedal effort or engagement quality or cost or noise or... You get the idea. Drive it for yourself is the best bet.