Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur 3" SCCA catback w/ Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur 3" SCCA catback w/ Magnaflow

To start see my review for the Works ABM https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=134040

I have the newer flanged version of Buschur's SCCA legal 3" catback with the Magnaflow muffler option (so no slip fit cat adapter).

1. The muffler arrives on a box with minimal bubble packing. But it arrive OK. The pipe is shipped without a box. It had a minor dent in the pipe and the slip fit muffler end of the pipe was smushed by UPS and had to be fixed prior to install. Buschur definitely needs to try and package their product A LOT better.
2. The welds are decent. The pipe is one piece mandrel bent (not a bunch of mandrel pieces welded together). the Maganflow muffler speaks for itself. The tip is a generic looking rolled 4" SS tip. Sleeper look. Although the shiny muffler is very visible below the bumper - not so sleeper. Also, the cat flange bolts right up to my stock cat but is still a full 3". No neckdowns , like with JDM catbacks.
3. Install was not so smooth. Catback hung to far to the right (passenger side). Rested against the underbody and was not centered in the bumper. Had to torch the rearmost hanger to rebend it to pull the exhaust to the left. Not hard but not a perfect fit.
4. I read a lot of complaints about Buschur exhausts rattling against the underbody. So right off the bat I installed it with Kartboy hangers. No rattles here. Because Buschur eliminates some of the OEM bends, the piping comes really close to the underbody (see #3). I could see how the exhaust would rattle if I used the OEM rubber hangers.
5. No dyno numbers but I'm making more boost. 24 psi at 3500 rpm. 19 psi towards redline. Stock ratings are 20 and 17. So definitely more flow. Evo's are so damn fast to begin with that I don't trust butt dyno's.
6. I will try to get decibel readings this weekend. Takes 2 people to do it.
7. Overall, I'm very happy with the product. Not perfect. But the faults are fixable. Plus I like to support Buschur. They are a great shop to deal with.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with the packing.. my catback had a minor dent in it.. nothing that caused any installation problems.

I didnt have any problem with the tip lining up. Are you sure you've got the hangers on the right side? I've got an 2003 GSR so I'm not sure if there is a difference with the 05's I'll put some pics at the end of this post.

I've yet to have any rattle problems at all.

Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, the rear hanger is installed like yours. Thought of that 1st before we broke at a torch and rebent the long hanger that attaches before the muffler. My tip is pretty much centered but it rests a lot higher up in the bumper cutout. Doesn't touch. maybe 3/8" clearance. I think my Kartboy hangers don't sag like the rubber ones do. So the tip ends up higher. Not a problem though.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

hey justchill what exhaust tip is that i like it ???????????
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

On the rear hanger. Sorry I meant that I installed it with the muffler braket to the left of the rubber (in my case urethane) hanger and the muffler was too far to the right. Switching the bracket to the other side like on your install would have only pushed the muffler further to the right. Hence, we used a torch.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

How is the sound compared to the Works axel back?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Actually quieter at cruising speeds. Less deep, so less interior resonance. Louder at WOT though but that's OK. I'll post actually numbers this weekend.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Here are the sound numbers. I followed the frequently quoted Calif Vehicle Code procedure. Approx 20" from the muffler tip at tip level. Sound meter aimed at 45 degrees (so you are not sucking exhaust fumes during the test). Bear in mind that the measurements are really close to the muffler. The meter was set for "A" weighting (per Calif law). I also check "C" weighting which includes low tones. The 95 dB limit in Calif is at 3/4 max rpm or 5300.

A weighting
idle=80 dB
3000 rpm=88 dB
5300 rpm=91 dB
So well within legal limits.

C weighting is more realistic IMHO
idle=102 dB
3000 rpm=104 dB
5300 rpm=99 dB

I've made one observation during this testing (see my other review https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=134040 ). The sound level is not nearly as important as the tone. My previous Works ABM on the stock IP/cat/DP was very very deep. This created more interior resonance, set off car alarms, and was more noticeable to the driver next you than the Buschur which is smoother and less deep. Sort of like hearing the boom from a loud subwoofer from a block away. The Works muffler really isn't that objectionable. I just like the Buschur/Magnaflow sound better.

Hope my review helps.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadow1
Here are the sound numbers...
Good job comparing the 2 mufflers! Just to be clear, you just changed the muffler, but the rest of the exhaust was stock?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Everyone I know that got their exhaust shipped has dents(including me), so no worries on that. I don't think you can avoid it.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Good job comparing the 2 mufflers! Just to be clear, you just changed the muffler, but the rest of the exhaust was stock?
The Works ABM was just the muffler. The rest of the exhaust was stock. The Buschur is a catback. The cat and DP are still stock.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Added a second muffler

I have an update to my review. I added a Works 3" high flow cat (I also tried to add a 3" TurboXS downpipe at the same time but it didn't fit my car). The HFC increased the sound level. I found it objectionable on long freeway trips. So I added a 2nd Magnaflow muffler. It's a 4" round muffler with a straight through 3" core. I installed it in the intermediate pipe. No power loss by the butt dyno but the sound level dropped dramatically. My setup will be the perfect QUIET street setup once I get another downpipe which is currently still stock.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

I hate to bring back a semi-dead thread but I just have to say a few words about my Buschur catback install with Magnaflow can.

First, getting my OE exhaust off was totally weaksauce. I literally hit the passenger side cat nut with an air impact tool for about 5 minutes before it moved. Of course I sprayed and soaked it with PB what seemed like a million times. The driver's side nut was too close to the driveshaft so I had to whip out the 15" breaker. I applied what felt like my entire body weight to the breaker. I'm guessing it took over 250 ft-lbs to move it. Everything else came apart pretty easy.

The Buschur kit went on in hardly any time. To me it was much easier since the BR kit weighs half as much as the OE system. (or at least it felt like it) I wouldn't say it's any quieter than OE at low rpm but it resonates a whole lot less. The sound is great, it was exactly what I was looking for. Not obnoxious for the street, but just loud enough for me to enjoy my car more. I haven't turned on my stereo for the last two days because I like the tone so much. For the price I don't know if it can be beat.

As for any power increases I can't say since I noticed a giant screw in my rear tire during the install. I've been keeping the car in the garage as much as possible until my new tire comes in. Once I get it mounted I'll wring the car out to see if I get anything in the power dept. Just from a 1st and 2nd gear standpoint it feels like the boost comes on a hair quicker. (100-150rpm) though that may be just the sound getting to me.

I would recommend this setup to anyone looking for a better exhaust tone and lighter weight. The guys at BR know what they're doing and this kit proves it.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just swapped my standard buschur can on my SCCA catback for the magnaflow. First impressions is it's a lot easier to live with and since I'm moving to NorCal it's important to have a quietish exhaust. I just switched my downpipe and getting those bolts off was similarly hellish, I basically had to use a floor jack on a breaker bar to get it loose. I bought new mitsu bolts instead of dealing with the originals which had rusted to slag. Only thing I don't like is the blingy polished can on the Magnaflow. The regular buschur muffler is stock looking and totally unobtrusive..

Last edited by osunick; Aug 15, 2005 at 06:03 PM.