Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hesitation at WOT now?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that problem when I removed the snorkle off the intake.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'm stock (with K&N drop-in) and mine does it too. It's a "hiccup" that lasts about half a second and then the car continues on like nothing happened. It ususally happens around 3K RPMS in one of the higher gears.

Cabo
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep some here. Some ghost in the intake or MAF. I have an RMR intake (cone filter - stock piping). I believe that the air is flowing to fast (if you will), confusing the computer and temp. floods the engine. It seems to have started with this spring heat. Over the winter in Michigan nothing happened. Ran strong all day - soon as it got warm - hiccups. Warmer air - less dense, needs more. I have a A/F and it will spike rich then cut lean when I get the hesitation. I originally thought it was my bov, but I went back to stock to trouble shoot and it still gave me problems. Id like to know if tuning the computer will fix that problem. I like running the cone filter, not for the increased power (isnt any) but for that jet turbine sound. But might bite the bullet and go back to the stock housing if this gets worse with the increased heat of summer.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
I'm stock (with K&N drop-in) and mine does it too. It's a "hiccup" that lasts about half a second and then the car continues on like nothing happened. It ususally happens around 3K RPMS in one of the higher gears.

Cabo
Exactly.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Yep some here. Some ghost in the intake or MAF. I have an RMR intake (cone filter - stock piping). I believe that the air is flowing to fast (if you will), confusing the computer and temp. floods the engine. It seems to have started with this spring heat. Over the winter in Michigan nothing happened. Ran strong all day - soon as it got warm - hiccups. Warmer air - less dense, needs more. I have a A/F and it will spike rich then cut lean when I get the hesitation. I originally thought it was my bov, but I went back to stock to trouble shoot and it still gave me problems. Id like to know if tuning the computer will fix that problem. I like running the cone filter, not for the increased power (isnt any) but for that jet turbine sound. But might bite the bullet and go back to the stock housing if this gets worse with the increased heat of summer.
Yea, well, it doesn't seem an airbox does much good. I'm getting it and all I have is a drop-in HKS filter. Snorkle is in tact and so it the complete airbox. And like you said, only happens on a hot day. Hopefully Shiv can tune it away.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

check your air/fuel gauge and your settings..
at a certain time...when i mashed the gas in my car...it would accelerate then die a little..then continue.
Do you have a piggyback or management..check the settings for fuel at the area where u are experiencing the loss in power.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I have been having this quick hesitation problem with my EVO ever since I got the car. What it does is when I hit the gas, the car will accelerate properly and get to a certain rpm and then it will cut back and then give me full acceleration again to redline. It only does this once. It's like a small hiccup.
I have this exact same problem. I have a stage 1+++ V3 - Xede & Xedeflash. Typically only happens in 4th or 5th after 3,000 RPM at WOT. I have stock airbox and filter.

I've tried the following to no avail:
1. Pulling over and shutting down then restarting the car.
2. I've let the car warm up - only punching it after driving for 15 or more minutes.
3. Tried three different gas stations, also tried octane boosters added to gas tank.

Only additional thing I can see is that my boost gauge oscillates a couple of PSI when this happens. Once past this section of the rev range, I jump back to 24PSI. It probably happens for less than half a second. Also when I easily roll on throttle it does not happen. Its only at WOT.

I doubt its the clutch, I would see slippage in other areas.

Very frustrating.

What EGT's are you guys seeing that have their sensors in the exhaust manifold (pre turbo)?

Last edited by 954DRGSR; Apr 21, 2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What spark plugs are you guys running? Type and gap are very important with the EVO.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 11secEVO7
check your air/fuel gauge and your settings..
at a certain time...when i mashed the gas in my car...it would accelerate then die a little..then continue.
Do you have a piggyback or management..check the settings for fuel at the area where u are experiencing the loss in power.

I do not have any management or piggybacks on it right now. And stock plugs with 13K miles on them. If boost is blowing out the spark - has anyone tried something like a MSD ignition? Its an old muscle car trick. Hotter spark for more gap. But the hotter spark would be less prone to getting put out. Leaving the stock plugs and gapping with an ignition pack might be a something worth looking into. It would also increase power marginally by burning more fuel. Some of the MSD verisons also allow for tuning.

Comments?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 954DRGSR
Also when I easily roll on throttle it does not happen. Its only at WOT.
Yep! If you ease into the throttle, then it won't happen!! Very interesting.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
What spark plugs are you guys running? Type and gap are very important with the EVO.
Stock plugs on 19k miles. This was happening way back when my car was practically brand new.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

boost cut is not like hitting a brick wall...that is fuel cut. Sounds like boost cut. Are you on stock bov? or somethin' vta?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
boost cut is not like hitting a brick wall...that is fuel cut. Sounds like boost cut. Are you on stock bov? or somethin' vta?

you are also running a cone filter...do you have any of these problems? i am using a greddy type s recur with single spring mod. (at least until i get the mbc then ill most likely go to both springs)
Old Apr 21, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
Please guys. If you don't really have a clue to what it is, then just don't say anything. This is not boost cut or fuel cut or anything like that. It's also not a leak or a BOV. It more than likely has to do with the tune.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

i guess the guys at MZMperformance don't know what they're talking about because they told me that was boost cut, because my car did it on the stock ecu before the powerfc and tune. i experienced both and boost cut is nothing like fuel cut.
on another note i was trying to find out maybe if it was something else other than the tune thus the question about the bov, but i do agree that it probably does have something to do with the tune. good luck.

Quick Reply: Hesitation at WOT now?