Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hesitation at WOT now?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the same prob with my car, in WOT it will not just hesitate once it will be a few times before redline. I am gettin real pissed off about this cuz has been a prob for awile now and cant figure out what it is...
Kinda feels like the comp is pulling timming.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:03 PM

boost controller? fuel cut for a sec ?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Got my 05 to do it lastnight as I was watching my gauges:
5th gear ~ 60 mph. 20-30% throttle ~ 10 psi boost, a/f gauge when from rich (normal) to lean and held it there for a sec. Boost didnt drop - stayed at 10 psi, but the car hesitated and bumped a little (like an elephant sat on my car - then got off -- ya I know, bad example but thats the feeling you get).

Ambient temperature was around 52 F, humidity at around 68%.

Only mods are type s bov and cone filter and 93 octane gas. 13300 miles, good clutch (sh*t i never even have done a hole shot yet with this car) and oem spark plugs.

Does that help anyone? Im stumped, I figure its the computer reading too much air going through the MAF causing it to (super techinical term here >) freak out, which sends too much fuel in, flooding the engine and resulting in the computer then cutting timing and fuel to compensate for the very rich fuel spike. I ran all winter with no problems, but soon as it hit 55 F or so I get this hesitation.

Warm air less dense, combined with more fuel - less combustion = hesitation?

Shiv - did the tuning you did correct the hesitation that started this whole tread?

BOOSTEZ - did Shiv solve the problem?

Anyone else have this problem, or has anyone fixed this problem?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

So...what's the story??? Did you dyno that sucker or what???
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nebolic
Your car can be pulling timing for a split second and get back on it. You're car is pulling timing. I experienced the exact same thing.
Originally Posted by 954DRGSR
Only other item I should mention is that my EGTs on my preturbo EGT (on Manifold) sensor are above 1600 degrees F in 4th and 5th in the upper rev ranges. My Autometer EGT Gauge does not read higher.
Abnormally high EGT's and a stutter right at max boost sound like pulled timing to me.

Originally Posted by MrMejia
[you my friend have a clutch issue]

ummm...........no. "brand NEW CLUTCH" = just put in and no im not an iddiot. anyway, its an ignition related problem I'm sure and its getting fixed. I'll let you know if it works. just trying to be relevant to your same problem and I'm just posting feedback for the good of the community and your just assuming that im an incompetant (can't spell by the way) mechanic. By the way is a direct insult and I'm not pleased with that response. You should treat your new age WAR heroes with a little more respect. I saved a lot of lives because my hands were the fastest in my squadron out there in iraq. I put a lot of birds back in the air to go do what they do best. KILL and DEsTROY the bad guys. sorry for my flamming mouth by the way just that I really dont like people who like to assume what they know. next time dont be a jack *** and go flappin your mouth about what u dont have a clue about.
LIke I said before.....I will let you guys know what heppens.
If you mash the gas with the clutch fully engages and the revs jump up without the speed matching, then you do have a clutch issue. I've burned through enough clutch to know when you are slipping a clutch. Your clutch is slipping. Maybe you didn't resurface your flywheel? [EDIT: I forgot the Exedy Hyper Single has an integrated flywheel, disregard the flywheel resurface part.] Maybe you didn't bleed it enough? I don't know, but you do have a slipping clutch.

How many miles do you have on your new clutch?

P.S.: I'm in the military, too. I've done my share of warfare. Many on this board know from my stories, have seen pictures, and some have even served with me. Enough of that. I don't think you were being flamed in his response. He was just being short and to the point. It happens. Thanks for serving our country and doing what's right, though.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Apr 28, 2005 at 07:55 AM. Reason: updated info about the clutch thing
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia
[you my friend have a clutch issue]

ummm...........no. "brand NEW CLUTCH" = just put in and no im not an iddiot. anyway, its an ignition related problem I'm sure and its getting fixed. I'll let you know if it works. just trying to be relevant to your same problem and I'm just posting feedback for the good of the community and your just assuming that im an incompetant (can't spell by the way) mechanic. By the way is a direct insult and I'm not pleased with that response. You should treat your new age WAR heroes with a little more respect. I saved a lot of lives because my hands were the fastest in my squadron out there in iraq. I put a lot of birds back in the air to go do what they do best. KILL and DEsTROY the bad guys. sorry for my flamming mouth by the way just that I really dont like people who like to assume what they know. next time dont be a jack *** and go flappin your mouth about what u dont have a clue about.
LIke I said before.....I will let you guys know what heppens.
Ok listen, i wasnt trying to be insulting or whatever. Nor am i going to turn this into a keyboard flame contest.

You should go and check and make sure that the clutch was installed right or brake fluid level is correct and bled well. You DO NOT have an ignition issue or at least that is not is causing your revs to just fly up and go back down when you mash it. I will bet you anything that it is not because not only does an ignition issue not make sense, i find it hard to believe that all of a sudden your car can just overpower a brand new clutch like that because it advances timing or something like that. Over the two years ive been on this board i think that i should've seen more worn clutch threads than you with your 1 month of activity. ( Im not saying im better than you for that. Dont take it the wrong way)

I wasnt trying to be insulting in any way. It was just a short and to the point post.

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Apr 28, 2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
5th gear ~ 60 mph. 20-30% throttle ~ 10 psi boost, a/f gauge when from rich (normal) to lean and held it there for a sec. Boost didnt drop - stayed at 10 psi, but the car hesitated and bumped a little (like an elephant sat on my car - then got off -- ya I know, bad example but thats the feeling you get).

Only mods are type s bov and cone filter and 93 octane gas. 13300 miles, good clutch (sh*t i never even have done a hole shot yet with this car) and oem spark plugs.

Does that help anyone? Im stumped, I figure its the computer reading too much air going through the MAF causing it to (super techinical term here >) freak out, which sends too much fuel in, flooding the engine and resulting in the computer then cutting timing and fuel to compensate for the very rich fuel spike. I ran all winter with no problems, but soon as it hit 55 F or so I get this hesitation.

Shiv - did the tuning you did correct the hesitation that started this whole tread?

So your car is doing this without engine management - correct?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo

Did you do the spring mod to the Greddy S? I think that mine has done the same thing but it was becasue it was too loose. Check and make sure that the fittings are all correct. I think that your bov might be opening.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have had this problem. Seemed to happen in the higher gears and the short blip would always be accompanied by a "pop" sound from the exhaust. All that I know is that when I changed the stock spark plugs to colder copper ones (NGK BPR8ES gapped to 0.025-0.026 inch) and installed some catch cans (don't think these made an impact), the problem went away. I would suggest checking the gapping on the stock spark plugs, or changing them out for some colder copper ones (about $7 for 4 at Advance Auto Parts) gapped a little tighter than stock.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Single spring mod - recir. - tightened just before surge (hit surge then backed off and 1/8th). And no engine management. How common is it for the stock plugs to go bad at such low miles?

That "pop" sounds like a backfire - my old Corvette did this a ton, high end motor and real rich, popped flames, but never hesitated.

Im guessing the dealer wont touch the plugs unless I pay them, it that case Ill take them out and check them, their mechanics seem to suck. I still use the dealer for free oil changes, but other than that they are worthless (whole other thread here).
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Update!

All:

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys in time. I did dyno tune the car. And I mentioned the problem to Shiv before he started tuning. He tuned the car for 1.5 hours. I got 244.1awhp on his DD and 240wtq. I forgot to ask about the hestitation problem AFTER the tune.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll test it on the road. Remember guys, it depends on the temperature outside. I never got this problem when the temp was pretty cold out (almost impossible to reproduce at night). I'll have to wait for a hotter day in order to test it

I seriously think this is probably normal due to the rich nature of our cars. A poster previously explains this a few threads up.

Here's my graphs:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=135213&page=2

There doesn't seem to be any sign of hestitation from the power output. Quite smooth actually.

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Apr 28, 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I solved my "burp", hiccup at wot. as mentioned earlier, my boost would stay steady at 25psi, I think its blowing the spark out for a millisecond. Too much boost. There is a "sweet spot" for the turbo (stock) I have the xede, and was playing with the boost tables, and wallah, when the boost peaks at 22psi, the problem is GONE. I raised the tables back to where they were, and the problem returned!! I have further playing around, about 1 tank full tomorrow, and I will find where the sweet-spot is! I always thought MORE boost, MORE power, but this is NOT the case! with my boost LOWERED, it pulls smoother/harder throughout the powerband. It just feels damn faster with LESS boost, and there is absolutely NO hesitation anymore! I solved my problem, and can reproduce it any time I want (raise the boost values on my xede maps)! Less boost = MORE power, go figure. will keep all updated as to the sweet-spot location!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I think I solved my "burp", hiccup at wot. as mentioned earlier, my boost would stay steady at 25psi, I think its blowing the spark out for a millisecond. Too much boost. There is a "sweet spot" for the turbo (stock) I have the xede, and was playing with the boost tables, and wallah, when the boost peaks at 22psi, the problem is GONE. I raised the tables back to where they were, and the problem returned!! I have further playing around, about 1 tank full tomorrow, and I will find where the sweet-spot is! I always thought MORE boost, MORE power, but this is NOT the case! with my boost LOWERED, it pulls smoother/harder throughout the powerband. It just feels damn faster with LESS boost, and there is absolutely NO hesitation anymore! I solved my problem, and can reproduce it any time I want (raise the boost values on my xede maps)! Less boost = MORE power, go figure. will keep all updated as to the sweet-spot location!
Are you on pump gas?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Are you on pump gas?
No I'm on 110 UNleaded( the fuel I was dynoed on) but now I am on 109 UNleaded(for 1 tank) will return to the Leaded today. as well as 93 unleaded to make sure the problem is truly gone!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang

Interesting. Hmmmmm.....

Quick Reply: Hesitation at WOT now?