Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hesitation at WOT now?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Syrihl
I too have had this problem. Seemed to happen in the higher gears and the short blip would always be accompanied by a "pop" sound from the exhaust. All that I know is that when I changed the stock spark plugs to colder copper ones (NGK BPR8ES gapped to 0.025-0.026 inch) and installed some catch cans (don't think these made an impact), the problem went away. I would suggest checking the gapping on the stock spark plugs, or changing them out for some colder copper ones (about $7 for 4 at Advance Auto Parts) gapped a little tighter than stock.

I am running the colder plugs already.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am getting bad gas mileage - 160/tank if I set on it on a regular basis. I am going to try and run the car with a wideband A/F and see where I am. I was tuned at around 11.4 on pump.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'm planning on a 05 MR or IX MR, do you guys I have a chance of seeing problems like these?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
I'm planning on a 05 MR or IX MR, do you guys I have a chance of seeing problems like these?
i doubt it
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
i doubt it
Ditto.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

A pretty general question but, from what I see almost 75%++++ problems are with 03's. Do you believe its because there are so many more 03 owners??, Or because Mitsu actually made a few changes in the 04s/05's and will make even more in the 06's to eliminate the problems.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have an 05, had that problem - key word there had - check you bov, yes even the stock dv. its mounted right next to the exhaust manifold. and if you havent felt under the hood after driving - its damn hot. i have my type s in pieces right here in front of me. it has a rubber diaphram in it, guess what - its melted. i was still running something near 19 and sometimes 20 psi, but i always had to tighten it down every week or so, inconsistant boost levels everytime, and i was getting that hicup. i was thinking bad plugs, too rich...took off the bov just to see if it was dirty or jamming - noticed black flakes inside. so i took it off the car, played with the valve, still moved but it didnt feel smooth, took off the hat and bam - diaphram had melted in a few spots letting air in and out - boost leak. this leak caused a over rich mixture, and was giving me the hicup, even though i was close to stock boost it was over compensating for the fuel. stock dv's are abs plastic, but they may not like the high heat either and could also have something similar in warping or melting causing a leak and that hesitation. so check out your bov's or dv(if stock). im going to get the replacement diaphram and redo the hoses so that i can still recir but move it away from the heat source, this will take me a week or so to get the new piece in, but i will surely post the results...and if i can take some pictures of it redone. Here are some of the melted piece and areas that had melted through. Notice the asymmetry of the diaphram when I have it in its normal position, I had to pry it out when I took it apart.
Attached Thumbnails Hesitation at WOT now?-40600282.jpg   Hesitation at WOT now?-40600283.jpg   Hesitation at WOT now?-40600284.jpg   Hesitation at WOT now?-40600285.jpg   Hesitation at WOT now?-40600286.jpg  

Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I still don't think it's related to the year. And I don't think it's anything that has to do wtih hardware. It's in the tuning.

-M
Old Apr 30, 2005, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
A pretty general question but, from what I see almost 75%++++ problems are with 03's. Do you believe its because there are so many more 03 owners??, Or because Mitsu actually made a few changes in the 04s/05's and will make even more in the 06's to eliminate the problems.
I think it's mree like the '03's have more milles on them and have had time to "age" and show the lkittle flaws like this. that would mreally make sense if it was cauysed by somrething liuke an overheted diverteer valve theing. It coule be also that a LOT of '03 ovners are fast to jump on the "my car is broek" bandwagon ever since the car first came to the US. Remmember all of the "my clutch is is crap" and "my synchoros suck" and "my tranxsfer case took a poop" threads from baks in the day? Yeah, I'm not bashing on aynone heree, don't get me wrong. I'm just a bit agaggrivated at a lot of the genneral EvoM poppulation. I hope this makees sense. Last night was hell and I don't even knoww hy I am logged on right tnow . I realy need to stay away ffro m the bar. This **** hurts.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I have an 05, had that problem - key word there had - check you bov, yes even the stock dv. its mounted right next to the exhaust manifold. and if you havent felt under the hood after driving - its damn hot. i have my type s in pieces right here in front of me. it has a rubber diaphram in it, guess what - its melted. i was still running something near 19 and sometimes 20 psi, but i always had to tighten it down every week or so, inconsistant boost levels everytime, and i was getting that hicup. i was thinking bad plugs, too rich...took off the bov just to see if it was dirty or jamming - noticed black flakes inside. so i took it off the car, played with the valve, still moved but it didnt feel smooth, took off the hat and bam - diaphram had melted in a few spots letting air in and out - boost leak. this leak caused a over rich mixture, and was giving me the hicup, even though i was close to stock boost it was over compensating for the fuel. stock dv's are abs plastic, but they may not like the high heat either and could also have something similar in warping or melting causing a leak and that hesitation. so check out your bov's or dv(if stock). im going to get the replacement diaphram and redo the hoses so that i can still recir but move it away from the heat source, this will take me a week or so to get the new piece in, but i will surely post the results...and if i can take some pictures of it redone. Here are some of the melted piece and areas that had melted through. Notice the asymmetry of the diaphram when I have it in its normal position, I had to pry it out when I took it apart.
I have had (and still do) the Forge BOV with the red spring. is there a rubber diaphram in there? I like your explanation, and the logic sounds good, but I can make mine go away with playing with the boost tables, It only happens with too much boost! am burning a tank of gas today, with friend in pass. seat with his lap-top, and we will further tweak it, hunt this issue down!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I just tried a 3rd gear pull today in 71 degree weather. No hiccups. I can tell that the turbo doesn't get full response until above 4000 rpm and then it just moves very quickly up to redline. I'll do some more tests to confirm the problem is gone.

-M
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys did anyone solve the problem yet ?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Could it be the random misfire problem? P0300
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brembo350z
Could it be the random misfire problem? P0300
No when that happens no CEL is thrown .
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:25 AM

bump

i have this hesitation problem as well and it's awfully annoying. so annoying that I don't like driving my car, yet I work 80 hrs a week and can't quite find the time to figure it out.

furthermore the stealership near my house has a horrible reputation and i admittedly don't trust them to work on the car.. or even inspect it for that matter

help!

Quick Reply: Hesitation at WOT now?