Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hesitation at WOT now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you guys tested for boost leaks and looked for vacuum hoses that were blown off?

i had a vacuum hose blow off once that was under the intake manifold and couldn't be seen... the symptoms sounded identical to what you guys are reporting. the only way to get to the hose was to take the battery out and reach in past my elbow; it was impossible to see the hose from anywhere, i had to reattach it by feel.

i also had a "marder" (squirrel-like animal that lives here and likes the taste of silicon) chew through a very inaccessible part of my lower IC pipe coupling. identical symptoms to the vacuum hose being blown off. frustrated me for a month before i found it...
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

I am having this same problem.

It feels like you're hitting a fuel cut or mis-firing real bad over and over again without throwing a code.

It does on mine on cold days and warmer days.

It happened on both iridium plugs and copper ones that was gapped at .025mm.

So if anyone feels that this problem could be fixed and what the cause and answer would be, I would very much appreciate that.

Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ok So after reading this dumb thread...Im tired of hearing crap about how your in the Military...I was in the desert too. I just want to know how to fix this stoopid problem.

Plus Merry Christmas.

My Problem is basically the same thing or maybe different I cant tell. No matter hot or cold, I cut out at high RPMS. I am only boosting 14 psi right now. Only happens on the downshift. Raced my friend last night and we raced from a roll and from a stop. At the stop I had no problems from gears 1 to 3 all the way to redline (already beat him on first). From a roll I dropped to 3rd and Pop the problem came up. Earlier that Night I was boosting 18 psi, Floored it all the way to redline and around 5k rpms the cut happened, kept on flooring it and it popped again around 6k rpms, then a CEL popped. I dont have a scanner so i cant scan. I just reset the code.

Now in the morning (that day) I spent 30 mins trying to find a loose hose or an unpluged, plug. Nothing. I recently replaced my boost gauge line from the plastic Autometer one to a rubber 7/32 Vac line. I installed a Hallman MBC and tapped into the BOV line. Everything is Capped and still in place. Most of my lines are like new. I had a leaking HKS SSQV BOV I had for a long time. I replaced it with the Greddy Type RS. I dont have a Compressor so I can't check Leaks. My friend Just told me he had one so I will be at his house on Monday to check out my leaks. Im really frustrated because I thought I would fix the Problem by fixing the lines and changing my Bov. I changed my plugs from stock to BPR7ES and gapped at .026.

I have had this problem for almost over a year and a half and thought nothing of it and thought a tune would fix it. I have the P2 which does not raise fuel cut (told by Jaime). Once I check for leaks and don't find anything im gonna destroy the Works P2 and go with he Gruppe-S Custom tune and see what happens with Boost/Fuel cut raised. If anyone out there has any other suggestions or facts on how to fix this, please post an ON TOPIC REPLY.

I dont want to hear anything about your MOM. I'm tired of reading threads that start to be helpful and then fall to SH*T. I came here to fix my Problem. Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas Everyone.

PS: Me changing tuners doesnt mean I hate the other. Im just trying something new. Both are Great at what they do.

Last edited by EvoRicer; Dec 25, 2005 at 04:34 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

having the spark blow out can cause symptoms similar to what you're reporting.

what other mods do you have? how much power are you at?
if you're around 350hp at stock boost, you should be using a step colder: bpr8es plugs at .026 instead. for higher than stock boost: br8es
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by arpad
having the spark blow out can cause symptoms similar to what you're reporting.

what other mods do you have? how much power are you at?
if you're around 350hp at stock boost, you should be using a step colder: bpr8es plugs at .026 instead. for higher than stock boost: br8es
I have P2 Flash, Turbo Back with O2 Housing, Upper IC pipe, Intake, BOV, Fuel pump. Without the TBE and O2 I made only 221 on Gruppe-S Dyno so im nowhere near 300 hp. If the spark is blowing out do I need smaller gaps on the spark plug and probably Ralli Art wires which gives better sparks? I also forgot to mention I check my wires also, one set is at 15 ohms and the other is at 12 ohms. I read that if its below 19 its fine? Thanks for the reply and Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm you should be fine on the stock plugs' heat range, then. check your gaps, though, just to make sure. i've read some (albeit unverified) posts by people that claimed their gaps changed magically.

stock wires should be good for that power range, too.

definitely update us after your boost leak test... make sure you test first with the UIC plumbing plugged at the intake manifold, then test with everything reassembled (except the intake, of course) at top dead center. you might still lose some air through the engine that way, but you'll be able to hear it through the exhaust. make sure you run your bare arm through as much of the engine compartment as you can reach, too: some leaks are silent, but you can usually detect them by feel. this is one of the (very few) times that hairy arms come in handy!! still trying to find a use for hairy backs though, but that's off topic...

btw are you still active duty?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah, and merry hoehoehoe's to you, too
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so my friend went out of town. So I bought a new compressor for 100 bucks at Sears. It has a regulator so I can regulate the pressure. I just finished hooking it up. I have no time left and gotta get to work so Ill test it first thing tomorrow and see what the results are. BTW it's my first time using a COmpressor so im kinda nervous...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I tried to test for a boost leak but I made the PVC cap to use with my Intake coupling which didnt work because the cap is too big. Anyone know what the diameter of the turbo Inlet is?

http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

I tried making one of these but a radiator hose was 50 bucks from Napa and wasnt going to buy one then cut it. Plus it talks about a 2.5 inch Outside Diameter and then a 1.5 inside Diameter? Doesnt make since...1.5 is way smaller than 2.5.

So Today I tried my spark plugs, I went and bought another set of BPR7ES and BPR7EIX spark plugs. Ones Iridium and the other is Copper? I put the iridiums in today and same thing happened. So im gonna try the other ones gapped at .024 instead of .026 and see if that works. BTW the Iridiums were gapped at .027 out the box.

Im ordering a coupling from ATPTurbo.com for 6 bucks and will prolly be here next week...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

check your coils
Old Dec 28, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

My coils were fine by what I read somewhere on here. If the coils are below 19 ohms its still good? One pair of coils were 12 ohms and the other set was 15 ohms close to 16. Should I replace them anywayz? Also my mileage is 52k already...
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Hey is gapping your plugs below .024 bad? I gapped a set of spark plugs to .020 to see how that will run...Today I put the .024 gapped ones in and saw a little more boost and RPM before it cut on me.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoRicer
Ok so I tried to test for a boost leak but I made the PVC cap to use with my Intake coupling which didnt work because the cap is too big. Anyone know what the diameter of the turbo Inlet is?
just measure the outside diameter of your intake that fits into your turbo coupling and find the closest match pvc endcap at home depot. get the closest match that is smaller since you can always get it to fit by tightening it more but if it's bigger, it'll be a b1tch to get in. ...and don't forget to get a cap for the upper IC pipe, too...
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRicer
Hey is gapping your plugs below .024 bad? I gapped a set of spark plugs to .020 to see how that will run...Today I put the .024 gapped ones in and saw a little more boost and RPM before it cut on me.
I had my BP8ES plugs gapped to .024 and it was still blowing out the spark. It actually opened the gap back up after making numerous pulls.

Since then I gapped the plugs to .022 and it fixed the problem, but as of last night it started doing it again so I think the gap has opened up again.

I am going to gap them to .020 and see how that works.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

OK so I have a leak on my Injen Coupling from the Throttle body to IC Pipe. I can hear an air leak with my ic pipe still on it. But with my IC pipe off I dont hear it. When I squeeze the coupling, you can hear the air going along with the squeeze. Dont know where I can get a coupling like the Injen one...But im planning on returning to stock IC pipe and Intake so I will elt you know when I get those p[arts to see if that fixes the problem.

Quick Reply: Hesitation at WOT now?