Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Out with the old DYNO in with the new!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Payne is closed from what I understand. Anyone that can confirm this or know how to contact him I'd be interested in maybe buying his dyno.

The Mustang Dyno after talking to some big companies that use them in the USA I felt was the best choice. The Dynapak I called about but am not at all interested in the work involved with putting a car on those. Takes way too much time and just isn't appealing to me.

The Mustang uses an Eddy current motor for loading the car. The Dynojet, after talking to them wasn't going to duplicate what I wanted to do. If I am buying a dyno I want to be able to duplicate road conditions so I can completely eliminate the need to road tune a car. The Mustang can do this. Dynojet's answer to most of the questions I had was, "We are working on that but it isn't ready to sell yet."

The Mustang dyno actually has a setting for just inertia dyno testing, so it can be run like a standard Dynojet. When ran in just inertia mode the numbers are the same as you would see on a 2wd/AWD Dynojet. This is appealing to me because in my opinion the Dynojet's numbers are the most realistic to what the car makes. Let me explain. If you do some math and come up with HP that is needed to turn a certain ET/MPH in the 1/4 mile in a particular car the Dynojet's numbers seem to match closer than any others. The Dynapak is also very close to the same as Dynojets. The Mustang dyno on inertia mode is the same too. One of the largest, if not the largest, companies in the USA owns both a Dynojet and Mustang dyno. For testing purposes of their parts they set the Mustang dyno up to read the same numbers as the Dynojet.

I told the guys at Mustang I don't even want to know how to manipulate numbers on their dyno. I am not into lieing and false claims, as you all know. I do want to be able to load the car down appropriately for tuning so it is perfect when it comes off and hits the road/track. I then want to be able to use the inertia setting (non-loading) to get the same number you would on a Dynojet.

This must be fairly common as we have customers dyno'ing on MD's and when they tell me their results they are right inline with what I would see on a Dynojet. Bottom line is Dynojet has set the standard that everyone compares numbers to over the years.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
My Dynojet served it's purpose.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The Mustang gives lower numbers that a DJ (especially a 2WD DJ), and gives a 'truer' reading.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:18 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, from what I understand payn is trying to sell the company. I don't know if He would want to sell the dyno though..I will ask him when I talk to him today.

i would really like to know if you tune utecs though and how familiar you are with them.

Thanks,Wayne
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have used the UTEC before on my WRX when I had it. I can tune it, don't prefer it but I can use it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
The Mustang gives lower numbers that a DJ (especially a 2WD DJ), and gives a 'truer' reading.
Correct.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

When is the new dyno going be installed and ready? I assume you'll have an event for this day?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well we are making a big move here.

We are getting rid of our Dynojet 2wd dyno. As soon as we can get the details worked out and our new pit dug we are going to be installing a new Mustang Dyno.

We had some problems with the police, again, last week with road tuning and it is honestly getting out of hand.

We will be having frequent tuning days and dyno days here for all the AWD's. Should be some good upcoming fun.

Thanks for reading,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David good choice.
Now we can really compare numbers on here. Good luck with it man.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Payne is closed from what I understand. Anyone that can confirm this or know how to contact him I'd be interested in maybe buying his dyno.

The Mustang Dyno after talking to some big companies that use them in the USA I felt was the best choice. The Dynapak I called about but am not at all interested in the work involved with putting a car on those. Takes way too much time and just isn't appealing to me.

The Mustang uses an Eddy current motor for loading the car. The Dynojet, after talking to them wasn't going to duplicate what I wanted to do. If I am buying a dyno I want to be able to duplicate road conditions so I can completely eliminate the need to road tune a car. The Mustang can do this. Dynojet's answer to most of the questions I had was, "We are working on that but it isn't ready to sell yet."

The Mustang dyno actually has a setting for just inertia dyno testing, so it can be run like a standard Dynojet. When ran in just inertia mode the numbers are the same as you would see on a 2wd/AWD Dynojet. This is appealing to me because in my opinion the Dynojet's numbers are the most realistic to what the car makes. Let me explain. If you do some math and come up with HP that is needed to turn a certain ET/MPH in the 1/4 mile in a particular car the Dynojet's numbers seem to match closer than any others. The Dynapak is also very close to the same as Dynojets. The Mustang dyno on inertia mode is the same too. One of the largest, if not the largest, companies in the USA owns both a Dynojet and Mustang dyno. For testing purposes of their parts they set the Mustang dyno up to read the same numbers as the Dynojet.

I told the guys at Mustang I don't even want to know how to manipulate numbers on their dyno. I am not into lieing and false claims, as you all know. I do want to be able to load the car down appropriately for tuning so it is perfect when it comes off and hits the road/track. I then want to be able to use the inertia setting (non-loading) to get the same number you would on a Dynojet.

This must be fairly common as we have customers dyno'ing on MD's and when they tell me their results they are right inline with what I would see on a Dynojet. Bottom line is Dynojet has set the standard that everyone compares numbers to over the years.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
My Dynojet served it's purpose.
Finally someone who knows whatthey are talking about.
As far as manipulating is concerned, That is for the boys across the river.
If you need anything at all please feel free to let me know.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How long does it take to set up a car on the Mustang type dyno? Just wondering because you said setup time was a deal breaker on the dynapack. It take about a half hour to set up on the dynapack and the tuner I am used to going to charges a setup fee along with the tuning price unless you make other arangements ahead of time.

Keith
Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

On a MD you drive the car up on the rollers and strap it down, 10 min max.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

We will have an "Dyno warming party" when we get it in here I am sure. Everything is looking good so far. Had the contractors in here Friday to quote tearing our building apart and of course things at the bank are fine. As soon as I hear from the contractors I can get an idea when it will be in and running.

Thanks for the offers Precision Dyno. DO you ever use the Dynojet mode on your Mustang dyno to compare?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

DO you ever use the Dynojet mode on your Mustang dyno to compare?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
NO
Never will. We like to keep things as realistic as possible.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I like the fact that they have the "Dynojet" mode on the dyno. What I figure is you tune the car loaded so it is actually a good accurate tune and will be the same when it hits the street/track. When you are done, switch modes and do the pull. This gives the guy a chart to compare to his Dynojet pulls he gets or has had on those or with his friends that have done that.

It isn't manipulating, I asked Mustang about it and it is set up to actually be run like this. Converts the Mustang to pure inertia dyno right? No load. I think it is a very useful feature for comparison.

I gave them my word today that as soon as I hear from the bank the deal is done. I am told it will take no more than 7 weeks to have the dyno at our shop and installed. 5 weeks is more realistic I am told.

I am really-really looking forward to this.

We have another 500+ whp EVO at the shop now that needs to be tuned on the street. It is getting very crazy.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I like the fact that they have the "Dynojet" mode on the dyno. What I figure is you tune the car loaded so it is actually a good accurate tune and will be the same when it hits the street/track. When you are done, switch modes and do the pull. This gives the guy a chart to compare to his Dynojet pulls he gets or has had on those or with his friends that have done that.

It isn't manipulating, I asked Mustang about it and it is set up to actually be run like this. Converts the Mustang to pure inertia dyno right? No load. I think it is a very useful feature for comparison.

I gave them my word today that as soon as I hear from the bank the deal is done. I am told it will take no more than 7 weeks to have the dyno at our shop and installed. 5 weeks is more realistic I am told.

I am really-really looking forward to this.

We have another 500+ whp EVO at the shop now that needs to be tuned on the street. It is getting very crazy.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Yes that is correct.
But it is not manipulating anything. There is only one way to manipulate on this software. We will not get into it on the forum. I know of some shops that do it.
BTW it has nothing to do with the weight or the hp @ 50 figure.
Just for ****s I'll show you when you get it.
We will comeout there for the ill. event with AMS. Just for fun I guess. Hopefully you'll have it by then. It is a great piece of machinery. I like the fact that I don't have to move anything around for various wheel bases. You will love the factthat a road tune is now done soley on the dyno. No need for adjusting total advance for the street. Whatever it does on the dyno it WILL do on the street.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Dave are you going with an above ground? There is a mustang here in town and my car with s-tech just clear the ramps. If you want pics of an above ground set-up let me know I have to head out there very soon anyways.

Quick Reply: Out with the old DYNO in with the new!!!