Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Working on an engine swap, mid mounted 4G63T - couple Q's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working on an engine swap, mid mounted 4G63T - couple Q's

Mods - I hope this is the right forum to post this. If it is not please move it to the correct one. Thanks.

I am thinking of swapping an EVO VIII 4G63T along with a Lancer OZ or Ralliart tranny into my '88 Fiero GT track car. I have been searching the internet for used parts and spec sheets for a couple weeksand I can't find what I am looking for. Here are my questions:

1. Will the EVO engine bolt up to a Lancer tranny (OZ or Ralliart)?

2. How much power can the Lancer tranny handle?

3. Did any FWD tranny that bolts to the EVO engine come with an LSD from the factory?

4. Where can I find a used (or new) EVO longblock and what price will I be looking at?

5. Where can I find a used (or new) Lancer tranny and what price will I be looking at?

The other option I am considering is a Porsche 996 3.4 liter with a Boxter S tranny. The 3.4 can be found for ~$4500 and the Boxter S tranny can be found for $2000. This option will be more labor intensive but the big displacement NA torque in a 2700lb car will be nice. I will be lucky to get over 320hp at the crank with this setup without dropping a ton of cash.

You all know the power potential of the EVO engine so I won't go on about that.

Thanks for the help.

Here is the project car...it's been sitting for awhile. I have huge plans for this car. Replacing the ricer rocker panels is high on the list, right behind the drivetrain.

Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

I want to use a mid mounted 4G63T in a car I have planned too, although I want to keep the AWD.

I think that the gearbox from the Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg (FWD) would fit and it has an LSD, I think it might actually be a Lancer Evolution gearbox and LSD. I don't know if you can get one of those over there though? I am sure that Ralliart has an LSD for the Lancer but then that adds to the cost and might be hard to find.

I think it is possible to connect many different engines and gearboxs together by making adapter plates, so maybe you could even connect the boxster gearbox to the 4G63T with enough modification and money.

For the ultimate track car you could get a custom made sequential race gearbox .

Also what wheels are those? I have Rota Sub Zero's in a very similar design except they are 4 stud.

Aston

Last edited by astondg; Apr 22, 2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

I doubt the lancer tranny bolts up, althou i have no clue.

I'm not an expert in this area, but from what it seems, it looks like you need a FWD tranny to bolt up with the motor, so
maybe you could try looking into a FWD 4g63t from a DSM, and also use the DSMs FWD tranny and then add an LSD?

just an idea, not sure if you have looked into it already or not.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gleason
maybe you could try looking into a FWD 4g63t from a DSM, and also use the DSMs FWD tranny and then add an LSD?
This would definitely be the cheaper way to go, as long as you don't mind that everything's backwards from the way it is in the Evo. The front of a DSM engine is on the driver's side, tranny's on the passenger side. If you mated an EVO engine to a DSM tranny, you'd get 5 reverse gears, and only 1 forward.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:33 PM

What are the major diferences between the clockwise and counter-clockwise rotating 4G63 engines?

I found a new EVO shortblock for $2100. Add a head/valves/springs/lifters/cams some $$$ and I will have a longblock.

I found a LSD for the Ralliart tranny.

I still don't know if the bell housing pattern for the EVO engine is the same as the Lancer tranny.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited by Rob'Z; Apr 22, 2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

there is no way to mate a OZ/RA tranny to 4g63 without major fab.

Try an MR AWD Converted to FWD 6 spd.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Moved to Evo Engine, they'll probably have a better idea than the Ralliart guys.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:33 PM

OK, I just figured Lancer owners would know more about adaptability since you won't see an EVO owner swapping a Lancer tranny. Thanks for the input guys.