Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to achieve 375-400whp on stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to achieve 375-400whp on stock turbo?

Hey all,

I'm currently pushing 332whp and 343lb-ft tq (@22psi) at the wheels on 93oct.

With the following mods:

- HKS Racing Suction Intake
- HKS 2.75" Downpipe
- HKS 2.95" hi-power catback exhaust
- HKS 272/272 cams
- Greddy Type-S bov (recirc)
- UR 3" high-flow cat (gutted)
- ARP Headstuds
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Hallman MBC
- Custom Lower Intercooler Piping by turbotrix
- TurboTrix ECU reflash

I am replacing the downpipe/hfc/exhaust/and bov with the following:

- RNR Full 3" SS 02 elim. turboback with HKS carbon-Ti muffler
- HKS SSQV bov
- and Buschur or TurboXS FMIC

Now I want to get as CLOSE to 400whp on 93octane fuel.

What ELSE should I get?

I know i will definatley need an engine management system. I was looking into the AEM EMS, but i've been told that i don't need to spend the cash on that, and that I should just buy the newest version of UTEC.

But yea, so what would you guys recommend that I should get, to net as close to 400whp as possible?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illegalakkord
Hey all,

I'm currently pushing 332whp and 343lb-ft tq (@22psi) at the wheels on 93oct.

With the following mods:

- HKS Racing Suction Intake
- HKS 2.75" Downpipe
- HKS 2.95" hi-power catback exhaust
- HKS 272/272 cams
- Greddy Type-S bov (recirc)
- UR 3" high-flow cat (gutted)
- ARP Headstuds
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Hallman MBC
- Custom Lower Intercooler Piping by turbotrix
- TurboTrix ECU reflash

I am replacing the downpipe/hfc/exhaust/and bov with the following:

- RNR Full 3" SS 02 elim. turboback with HKS carbon-Ti muffler
- HKS SSQV bov
- and Buschur or TurboXS FMIC

Now I want to get as CLOSE to 400whp on 93octane fuel.

What ELSE should I get?

I know i will definatley need an engine management system. I was looking into the AEM EMS, but i've been told that i don't need to spend the cash on that, and that I should just buy the newest version of UTEC.

But yea, so what would you guys recommend that I should get, to net as close to 400whp as possible?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
You are going to need bigger injectors which are about $400. AEM is the best unit if you want to get the most power, but it is alot to deal with. Just make sure you have a good tuner. I'd also look into alcohol/water injection.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

400whp on pump gas with the stock turbo is TOUGH. On race gas its not a problem but at higher boost levels the stock turbo isnt as efficient and blows some hot air. Nevertheless, I am also trying to get near that mark.

In fact, I told myself if I get to 375whp on 93 octane with the stock turbo, I will have hit the pinacle in my life. However, Id like to stick with ECU reflash so for me it will be harder.

I dont know how proven some of these parts are that Ill list but some little things that I hope to get me to that mark is FMIC, Ported TB (like Works or BR), 3" 02 Housing... etc. For you Id pick up a 10.5 turbine housing that the 05s have. Easy upgrade for 10whp!

I think you would have to say that an AEM EMS is necessary (or UTEC!) to get near that 400whp mark with the stock turbo. I saw one guy on a website, I think it was Turbotrix blue evo that put down 378whp@22psi on pump gas. He had BR Stage 4 (with 272s) and also AEM EMS. Nice numbers! He put down over 400whp on race gas.

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Apr 23, 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I would definitely look into the alky injection kit from Buschur.....im sure that will bump u up at least 10-20 HP. I dont know, i think ur pushing out of the stock turbos efficiency level and i dont know how long it can handle the extra stress for a long time. Maybe swap it for a TME turbo.....ive heard good things about it! Good luck man!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yea i forgot about injectors.

I will be getting the denso/greddy injectors (660cc i guess?)

Soon2BEVO:
Where can I get the 10.5 Turbine housing? and how much do they go for?

rlazer5000: i would prefer to stay away from the alky injection because i want constant power thats on tap at all times, ya kno?
About the TME turbo you mentioned, where can I get one? and how much do they go for?

I am planning on getting a full AMS turbo upgrade kit next year, so I don't wanna do nothing TOO drastic right now, ya kno? All the parts that i'm getting right now I hope will save me from buying parts later with the turbo upgrade kit. So i want these parts to work with the future turbo upgrade
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

TMEs go for about $1250, but you might be able to find a used one. The 10.5cm^2 hotside goes for like $300 I think. They have both of those at Forced Performance, and I'm sure other vendors would sell those to you.

As far as the engine management system goes, I would say the general concensus is that the AEM EMS is the best, but also the hardest to use. If you went with UTEC, you could do some stuff by yourself, as there are knowledgable people on this site who could help you out.

You also said something about constant power on tap, which I don't quite understand. If you did alcohol injection, the power would be there when you want it. Same with race gas.

Last edited by mike69; Apr 23, 2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Actually u can find the the TME Turbo at Buschur racing for $975 ( http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?27X376545 ), but it might be cheaper if u give them a good core (dont quote me on this). But if u plan on getting a AMS turbo upgrade, then just wait for that! Save up some serious bank and go all out! I really want an AMS upgrade, but i dont have the money (im a poor college kid). AMS will definitely hook u up! Good luck bro!
Old Apr 23, 2005, 02:21 PM
Account Disabled

you are not going to get to 400 whp on a stock turbo, standalone or no standalone, without either NOS, or alchohol (or both)

If you plan on an AMS kit down the road, I'd simple enjoy the car in its current state and use the funds towards the turbo kit. There is no point in upgrading downpipes, 02 housings, hot sides, etc, and paying the associated labor and retuning costs just to ditch the stuff 6-8 months from now when you get the AMS kit

I would also doubt you'll get 400 whp on pump with a TME turbo

adam
Old Apr 23, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

You make a good point Adam.

And i think i'm going to do just that. The thing about the AMS turbo upgrade is that it wont happen to late next year, so i have a little over a year till then.

I gotta start researching more on these AMS kits hehe, maybe i'll just try and push for it this year
Old Apr 23, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Get the Utec and Alcohol Kit. You can switch to the alcohol map on the fly. You will love that. If you are planning on a new turbo down the road, that is all I would do for now.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

In fact, I'll go one step further. If I were to do any changes right now to your setup, it would only be on the ecu side. Granted, this is not without its tradeoffs as well, so weight the pro's and con's. However, that would be one of the few things you could invest in now, in all liklihood see some power and torque gains now, as well as set the stage for the larger turbo, etc etc down the road. Plus, if your plans call for the kit next year, that would give you a long amount of time to start spending on some of the ecu boards, learning how to use the AEM yourself, so you are not at the mercy of a tuner everytime you need a change done.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

btu 375 maybe with the TME turbo? I'm in a nearly identical situation, does the TME turbo have a little better top end? or spool? or both?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Persoanlly, if youre going to get a turbo kit soon whats the point of this? Just get whatever you need to make the new turbo happy...that would be my suggestion. AMS can help you with that.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 06:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeeb, Be aware that the AEM will not pass inspection here on L.I.... You can't fake it either since the OBD-II scanner is how they check it now.. HOWEVER I'm uncertain if our car's have the VIN# embedded in the ECU, that could be bad news. And don't write off a stock'ish turbo.. Just because very few people have done it, doesn't mean its not possible..

If you like driving your car every day, and don't really want downtime, I'd recommend against both the bigger aftermarket turbo and standalone.. until you get everything dialed in, your going to be pulling out your hair.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 23, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Give me a month or two and I will tell you if it's possible.

Quick Reply: Best way to achieve 375-400whp on stock turbo?