Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler gains

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler gains

What kind of gains have you stock or TME turbo guys experienced from just an intercoller upgrade(either real dyno proven or just the a$$ dyno)? I'm in the process of installing all the mods below, and I'm trying decide if the intercooler gain is worth the $700.00+.

My mods will be:
-Ported TME turbo
-Ported and coated Ex. manifold and o2 housing
-APS turboback
-272/264 cams
-helix intake
-255lph pump
-680cc injectors
-Turbotrix custom tune
-MBC

Based on these mods and stockish turbo could you justify the cost?

Last edited by taylor; Apr 23, 2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

It's actually kinda more of a necessity than anything else. For u, an intercooler would probably add around 15-25 HP depending on ur level of tune. As u begin tomake more HP, the stock intercooler will become less efficient, thus choking performance. I know where ur coming from.....i dont wanna spend $700+ on just an intercooler. Oh well, im sure the guys on the forums can help u out more than i can.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 08:29 AM

actually, it is rather likely that an i/c upgrade will lose hp. it will allow you to run more boost so that will make up for the pressure drop from a larger core.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I did a little test of the spearco fmic upgrade last fall on the stock turbo. It made no more power than the stock ic. I feel the stock fmic more than adaquate to handle the airflow that the stock turbo is capable of. The cooling efficiency was also better on the stock turbo than the thicker spearco core. \

my ems logs showed no change in boost pressure from one ic to the other but the spearco had 10-15* higher outlet temps at the end of a drag run starting at the same temp +,- 2*.

The car ran 114mph on the stock intercooler and 114mph on the $800 fmic. I put the stock fmic back on and sold the "upgrade"

I suggest keeping the stock fmic and pipes untill you have a larger turbocharger.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
I did a little test of the spearco fmic upgrade last fall on the stock turbo. It made no more power than the stock ic. I feel the stock fmic more than adaquate to handle the airflow that the stock turbo is capable of. The cooling efficiency was also better on the stock turbo than the thicker spearco core. \

my ems logs showed no change in boost pressure from one ic to the other but the spearco had 10-15* higher outlet temps at the end of a drag run starting at the same temp +,- 2*.

The car ran 114mph on the stock intercooler and 114mph on the $800 fmic. I put the stock fmic back on and sold the "upgrade"

I suggest keeping the stock fmic and pipes untill you have a larger turbocharger.
Thank you, I'm sure I could put the money saved to good use.