Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cutout ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cutout ?

I'm tired of the highway drone / attention my catless 3" gives me. I'm looking to put a cutout on my 3"downpipe and return the rest to stock. What cutouts are most people running? Does anyone make one with an electronic valve that has shown more longevity than others? (I did a search btw, and found nothing but threads that went way off topic )

Thanks,
Ben
Old Apr 26, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to get a pipe to come out in front of the back wheel, but was told would have to re-dyno as it would run too lean. also was told the turbo needs back pressure to work right, or the ecu would mess up. good luck!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

well i have no exhaust after my downpipe, dont ask lol, no cat, no muffler. 3in dp

spools quicker and pulls harder
TOO LOUD
im gettting my stock exhaust put back on
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I was going to get a pipe to come out in front of the back wheel, but was told would have to re-dyno as it would run too lean. also was told the turbo needs back pressure to work right, or the ecu would mess up. good luck!
Turbo needs the least amount of pressure possible after the turbine in order to function at it's best. The turbo is a huge restriction to the exhaust exiting the engine. The more pressure drop across the turbo the better. Downpipe is the best place for a cutout. You want at least the O2 housing and some pipe so flow is not turbulent.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

timzcats,

What do you think about these issues that have been brought up:

1) There is so much noise/vibrations with the cut out open that it causes the knock sensor to go off

2) Wouldnt the afs change drastically when opening/closing the cutout? And could the stock ecu keep up with this?

Thanks!
Bobby
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HwangTKD
timzcats,

What do you think about these issues that have been brought up:

1) There is so much noise/vibrations with the cut out open that it causes the knock sensor to go off

Yes depending on cutout placement. Ideally you want some type downturn off the cutout so the exhaust sound waves aren't bouncing off say the oil pan, etc.
The other thing to consider is the MAF sensor vibrating.

2) Wouldnt the afs change drastically when opening/closing the cutout? And could the stock ecu keep up with this?

They wouldn't change drastically. A think a safe tune could handle it. The problem is if you tune for the stock exhaust then you are not getting all the benefit of the cutout. You really need to tune for both and take something in the middle that will work for both. Easier just to put a good 3" exhaust on it.

Thanks!
Bobby
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

You sure you searched well enough? =]

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ust+dump+valve

That's my car. That thread includes pictures of where mine was installed, what parts I used, and a video of it in action. The vibrations and noise from the cut-out do NOT trigger the knock sensor. The noise is insanely loud though. On the dyno, the a/f ratio's barely changed at all... not even .1

However, there are things to consider if you use the electronic butterfly valve. For example, backfire'n. If you backfire, it will sound like a point-blank 9mm gunshot, no joke. It can also cause damage to the butterfly valve. I just rebuilt my valve this past week with new parts from Home Depot because I literally blew out screws and washers from it from all my fireballs.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I searched for a cutout, not a "dump valve" . Looks like i'll be giving qt a call soon. I'm already tuned for a catless tbe so I should be fine cutout open or closed.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Great sleeper solution

Last edited by DCSilvrEvo; Apr 27, 2005 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Uhhhhhhh.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm leaning this way as well.

Today, a state trooper was accelerating by me, then matched my speed and drove next to me on the highway for what seemed an eternity (actual time 10 seconds). Not fun, lol.

I think the baby shades and baby mirror helped me out though, lol.

I'll go reread that other thread, but quick question: if the cutout is open, I would get a CEL since the secondary O2 wouldn't see anything, right? But, this is just a warning type of CEL so perf wouldn't be affected? Perhaps people with the cutout have other methods to get rid of the CEL.

Thanks,

FB
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:55 PM

QTP in jersey makes a nice *** cutout...

(Quick time Performance) checkem out =)
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I get no CEL when the cut-out is open... so no worries with that.

Be warned, the QuickTime valve will leak after time... not much though... barely enough to even notice by sound. And as I stated before, you can cause damage and blow parts off of the valve if you have intense backfire. Another solution would be to purchase the valve from another vender, such as McCord:

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/order.htm

I would have ordered their valve if it didn't take one month to ship it. I also heard that Apex-i makes a really nice, but expensive, electronic cut-out too. They even have a little box that shows you the percentage it is open and everything. Very bling mod, and probably expensive. They don't advertise it anywhere except their catalog book. Give them a call if you're interested. I also heard that HKS makes a similar product as well.

If any of you get this cut-out setup, please take pictures and videos and let me compare your setup to mine. As you can see from my pics on the other thread, I installed my cut-out as close to the turbo as possible and used 3" piping all the way to the valve. =]