Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Running lean, what's the problem?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
oooh geez... this all sounds very painful... i bet you wanna change intakes now huh? ones that don't require oiling (always heard it was a pain... now i know why).

hks doesn't use oil but the thing isn't washable...

blitz induction cover... dunno if it is washable...

apexi cone is also filter replacement.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 29, 2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 09:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hks intake - pros: great sound, upper range hp. Cons: too expensive, some cases loss of 2 whp, lean spots, filter must be changed every 3000 miles or so.

blitz industion cover: pros: uses stock setup cons: open element panel filter? i don't think so.

apexi cone: pros: smart design, uses vortex to generate decrease air turbulance enhancing the regulation of air flow. cons: expansive, you could get a same designed filter on ebay for $3.

I like stock intake and I don't have k&N, it was just that one time thing. it did help me gain a 1/2 second on the drag track (it could be my driving that day)...

it was definitely a lot of oil on it.

let me know if any of you guys had the same problem. I'll try to get my car dynoed again tomorrow and see if my car drops any a/f ratio.

The car felt a lot more sluggish today, which is good since that means it's running pig rich.

But that's my butt dyno, so i have to make sure.

I'll keep you posted.

keep me posted too.

Last edited by plokivos; Apr 29, 2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 05:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
blitz industion cover: pros: uses stock setup cons: open element panel filter? i don't think so.
So what's wrong with it?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hks intake - pros: great sound, upper range hp. Cons: too expensive, some cases loss of 2 whp, lean spots, filter must be changed every 3000 miles or so.

Untuned, sure - any intake will tend to cause power loss (but increased noise). But with the right person punching the keys, there are several intakes, HKS included, that make nice gains. The filters also last about 9-10k miles between changes, so not bad at all, considering a 5 pack is only around $100.00. Yes you might be able to get a similar style filter than Apexi on ebay - but it's not like the Apexi one is expensive, and sometimes the peace of mind of knowing that the unit you have is among the best is worth the small price of admission. As for the Blitz - it is no different that using an open element cone filter

The "reason" why it's happening is pretty simple - you are running too many mods and the ecu is not getting along with any of them. I also don't see a fuel pump in your mod list, which is the #1 thing to get (along with a flash) when you raise boost to that level. Get it tuned and watch how smooth that dyno graph becomes....right now it is very "edgy"

Bottom line - turn that boost down to a normal level till you can get it tuned on a dynp/road tuned)

Oh and as for the 350Z MAF (I forget who mentioned it), the only thing similar between the Z and the Evo is the fact that they are both called "MAF's" - other than that, 2 different types of units.

Contrary to popular belief, the prescance of an oiled filter does not cause the MAF's to go bad, only overoiling does (in which case it becomes very obvious before installing the intake). FWIW, I run a HUGE filter on my 350Z (Gruppe-M) in a carbon surround, and have not once had an issue with oil "fouling" the MAF - and I have cleaned and re-oiled mine at least a dozen times in the 35k miles it's been on the car

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Apr 30, 2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
As for the Blitz - it is no different that using an open element cone filter...
Exactly, except that because it does not change the original physical design, it is less likely to create an adverse effect to the MAF signal.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

ok, turned the boost down, i'm on the detonation map on ECU (what i've been told).

Will order fuel pump and see how Al (dynoflash) gets me in next week. Otherwise, i'll get ECUTECK or save up a month to get an AEM EMS.

I'm sick of this bs.

By the way, it doesn't looks like the MAF was effected at all, when I cleaned it. I didn't clean it with the electric cleaner, just wiped it off....

I just want to make sure to find what's causing this, which could be the exhaust without cat, and 2 resonators.

That's really the only thing I have that could possibly cause that...

So, I'll keep you updated. Appreciate all your inputs, even the bad ones.

Last edited by plokivos; Apr 30, 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 2, 2005, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

There are many tuners that claim you can get all the way to cams without a fuel pump upgrade, however I have logs showing a 40-50*C drop in EGT's with the walbro. I was one of the ones to say "look at me. I'm running a stock pump!". After reviewing the logs, it seems the pump is much safer and less prone to detonation. I would screw in your mas adjusting screw to see if it richens up the car, but without a wideband you are flying blind.

The resistor/sensor I warned you not to touch in your other thread is exactly what is shown in the pic.

Your injector duty cycle will go down with the additional pressure of the upgraded fuel pump.

One thing to consider is that you may say "I am only running 21 psi like a stock spike" however with the exhaust you have changed the volumetric efficiency of the motor. 21psi could be a volume 35lbs/air compared to 33lbs/air with stock exhaust for an illustrative example.

Have you checked the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator yet to see if it has popped off or is leaking?

ok, warmed up the car a bit and reved it. Knock counts went down a bit on safc, but can't trust that.
Sounds like you have a SAFC and you are reading knock counts. Are you saying you cannot richen it up?

Maybe it is not hooked up correctly. There is up to 50% correction on the safc. I find it hard to believe you would be at 100% duty cycle on the injectors with your mods. I would check the SAFC wiring 1st of all.

Also swap your maf with another evo to put your theory to bed.

The other guy is right about the plugs also, you are modified, the iridiums will not last 60K on a spirited driven Evo. I hope you can read them well. The BPR7es plugs are the standard replacement plugs for the evo according to NGK. Not hotter or colder, just cheaper. You would be making progress with a BR7es -10*C or BR8es -60 to -80*C non-projected tip.
If you were logging egt's you would be AMAZED at the temperatures you are running. My educated guess would be just over 1000*C (easily in detonation territory) with peak egt's of 1250*C+ (yes, centigrade). You want to be under 900*C. You can have occaisional runs in the 950* range.

Last edited by dsm95hybrid; May 2, 2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

Well, what I was hearing is that if you add too much fuel, you'll run into the having fuel cut, as well as boost cut.

This is from a very good tuner. It does make sense, but without a logger, really, you can't do too much with it. I don't have a logger...

SAFC II is hooked up right. I did it myself, not someone else.

I think swapping out the maf sensor might be a good thing, just to test out that theory. But from what I've been seeing from searching this board, I could see how my fuel curve could be caused by TBE without cat and higher boost.

I don't like copper plugs. I have my bpr7iex in order now. Yeh, plugs needs to be replaced.

I actually got some bpr7es as well, just for safe keeping.

yeh, i bought a egt sensor too. I just have to tap it in. I actually want to install it while the manifold is off. I'm debating now, before I get the flash, I should update my e-manifold as well while I'm at it.

vacuum lines are all good and secure.

I think, new plugs, new upgraded fuel pump, with an intake, manifold and a flash with EGT sensor in place along with wideband sensor would be a good starting point for me.

I'll do all this and see what sorta improvement I'll get. Hopefully it'll cure few problems and make the car run safer and better.

anyway, I would like to up the fuel on my safc if that's possible, just to see if it'll work. I'm trying to find someone with a data logger now.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
are you planning on using safc without injectors? you'll not get most of the benefits and possibly run into fuel cut. with bigger injectors you'll be able to get more timing advance and avoid the fuel cut without flashing annoyance.

it has been of some debate that at least with the works flash, the stock ecu will throw lean codes while safc is hooked up.

tho dynoflash will say that safc and his flash are a proven combo... every flash is different... but i think safc works with stock ecu most unperturbed.
Old May 2, 2005, 11:21 PM
Account Disabled

That's what I heard too. Bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump will cure that with the safc.

yeh, i really wish I could get this thing going, and honestly I told myself a while back, I wont do anything like flash or injectors or fuel pump... I wanted everything in the engine and anything that sticks into it to be stock. with a exception of intake, exhaust and manifold.

but looks like I'm running into problems, so if I could tune my car with the safc to a safe level, I'll actually be happy with this setup now.

I'm more of a driving solo ii and I personally think this car is good as it is. I don't want some power monster that can't handle or have driving issues as well as reliability.

This is not a drag car. I broke into the 12's and i'm happy.

Just want to spool up a bit quicker, breath a bit better and a/f be at 11.5. fuel pump is ordered...

it's either injectors or flash. I can't afford both now. I frankly like the stock boost cut and fuel cut. I don't want that erased. I haven't ran into boost cut or fuel cut yet under mid rpm.
Old May 3, 2005, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You're not going to need injectors. A fuel pump will be plenty. I run a walbro and stock injectors on my setup. I think the problem is you are running too much boost without any sort of engine management. You should go back with lower, or stock boost get on the dyno and see what the AFR does.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:52 AM
Account Disabled

i did already.

at 18psi, i'm not changing much in the a/f ratio curve.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

this is kind of an odd scenerio. I have a XEDE that runs off of the ECU. When I had cams and the stock turbo, my maps were still pulling out fuel across the board. I think you are having a fuel delivery issue.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

here are my spark plugs. They're stock, i have 40,000 miles on them.

I put some bpr7es for now, got some bpr7iex on the way.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...94#post1931694

oh and ordered the walbro fuel pump, it'll be here on thurday, so I could put that on before Al, dynos my car.
Old May 3, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hasnt their been issues of the stock pump crapping out on some people? Maybe see if the fuel filter is clogged up?

Quick Reply: Running lean, what's the problem?