Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

INSTALLED: Buschur TB, Cusco Rear Sway, and Perrin Endlinks (long)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
INSTALLED: Buschur TB, Cusco Rear Sway, and Perrin Endlinks (long)

Just installed a Buschur 3" Turboback with hi flow cat and the Buschur muffler, Kartboy Exhaust hangers, Cusco 23mm adjustable rear sway, and Perrin adjustable endlinks.

Started out at 9:30 am and didn't finish till 6:30 (I had no help and kept having to get out from under the car to get stuff; plus I ran into problems). Let me tell you it was a p.i.t.a. I started out by jacking it up and dowsing all the bolts I needed to remove with penetrating oil. Didn't really work that well. Couldn't get the lower arm bolts or the downpipe bolts off with my impact gun so i used a breaker bar. O2 sensor was welded in (not really but if you've tried to remove it, you understand) so I unplugged the grommet and unplugged the sensor (It came off really easy with the exhaust out; Came off on the first try). Then I undid the hangers and dropped the oem exhaust.

Next step was to take out the sway bar and endlinks. Got the sway bar out ok but then I ran into a major problem. Couldn't get the upper endlink bolts off for anything. Tried the impact gun, breaker bar, wratchets and wrenches. Nothing. Luckily my neigbor just got home from his am job and stopped over for a few minutes before he went out to his pm job. He saw the problem and ran back home to grab his torch. He heated up the nut and eventually after a few tries, the impact gun took it off. Then I run into another problem. I take the Perrin endlinks out to put them in and notice that one bolt is missing its washers and nut. So off to Home Depot I go and get the right ones. Get those it and then finally get the sway bar all hooked up and dialed in (put the sway on the middle hole).

Popped all the Kartboy hangers on and removed the factory donut gasket from the O2 housing. Mount the downpipe and then go to hook it up to the hangers and I run into yet another problem. The Buschur supplied bolts don't fit through the holes in the downpipe bracket (and yes I orded the complete install kit but the instructions were wrong, it was missing a bolt, and it had two wrong size bolts; I called them and the guy I talked to (not Jarod or David) told me if it was in a bag there wouldn't be anything wrong with it; yeah right). So I take the downpipe back off and try drilling out the holes but that didn't work out to well. I finally find two bolts with washers and nuts in my shop that will work with it and remount the downpipe.

Cat pops on with no problem. Catback was a pain to get on because it didn't want to line up with its hanger. Get that done and get the O2 sensor hooked back up. Now for the last problem. The muffler wouldnt' fit over the catback pipe. I finally got it setup so the muffler tip wasn't hitting the bumper and sticking two inches out from it. Double check all the bolts and clearances. A OK. Clean up and drop the car so I can take it out for a test drive.

Start out. Exhaust sounds pretty good. I could never open it up though because I always had cars infront of me so I couldn't see how it felt. The sway seems to work well though. Hit a few corners and the car feels like it wants to turn soooo much eaiser now. Then a monsoon comes out of no where. The wind starts gusting really bad and it starts pooring so hard I can't see 20 feet infront of me. So then I just turn around and head home. I have to do some more testing before I can sort everything out.

My advise to anyone looking to tackle this much work in one day: Get someone to help you out (I asked everyone I knew but they were all busy). While one person can do it all, boy does it suck. If you want to see some pics of the stuff, check out my site. The link is in the signature.

Last edited by EvilBlueEvo8; Apr 28, 2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

seems like a b*tch, but i hope it was well worth the time!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ack...for the love guy...use paragraph or at lease space out the lines...i wanna read it..
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

cliffs?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TD05HR
ack...for the love guy...use paragraph or at lease space out the lines...i wanna read it..
ask and you shall receive
Old Apr 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

i can assure you the rear sway bar & endlink setup dramatically changes the handling. you can get the car to slide like an sti when using the middle holes but if you use the most inward holes, your car will turn like a RWD. i use the middle holes also with the endlinks. i also went with an RMR lower subframe brace so i wouldn't be limited on downpipe choices & it also stiffens up the bottom front end. my next suggestion would be to get urethane bushings all the way around. more stiffness for about $100.
Old May 2, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
i can assure you the rear sway bar & endlink setup dramatically changes the handling. you can get the car to slide like an sti when using the middle holes but if you use the most inward holes, your car will turn like a RWD. i use the middle holes also with the endlinks. i also went with an RMR lower subframe brace so i wouldn't be limited on downpipe choices & it also stiffens up the bottom front end. my next suggestion would be to get urethane bushings all the way around. more stiffness for about $100.
who sells those bushings your talking about?
Old May 2, 2005, 09:18 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
Popped all the Kartboy hangers on and removed the factory donut gasket from the O2 housing. Mount the downpipe and then go to hook it up to the hangers and I run into yet another problem. The Buschur supplied bolts don't fit through the holes in the downpipe bracket (and yes I orded the complete install kit but the instructions were wrong, it was missing a bolt, and it had two wrong size bolts; I called them and the guy I talked to (not Jarod or David) told me if it was in a bag there wouldn't be anything wrong with it; yeah right). So I take the downpipe back off and try drilling out the holes but that didn't work out to well. I finally find two bolts with washers and nuts in my shop that will work with it and remount the downpipe.
Hmm, for the downpipe I used the stock bolts and washers and just the nuts from Buschur. The only bolts for the hangers were for the catback and muffler.

My big honkin' O2 socket wouldn't fit so I just put an open end wrench on it and whacked it with a hammer to break it loose. I have just over 10k miles on the car, the O2 sensors get a lot harder to deal with the more miles you have.

I did a test fit of the slip joints beforehand. Mine were snug but went together easy enough. If I were doing it again I'd bolt the cat to the downpipe first as there's not much room to get a wrench in when it's on the car.

The exhaust tip sticks out about an inch or less, but is centered. I kind of like the way it looks.

Dave
Old May 2, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
who sells those bushings your talking about?
Energy Suspension sells a bushing upgrade kit. Search on ebay and you should find them for cheap.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmbjive
Energy Suspension sells a bushing upgrade kit. Search on ebay and you should find them for cheap.
tru dat bra!
Old May 2, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

djh,

my tip is centered and sticks out about half an inch. how much clearance do you have between the tip and the bumper (above the tip)? i have about 1/4" or 5/16".

dan
Old May 3, 2005, 04:49 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
how much clearance do you have between the tip and the bumper (above the tip)? i have about 1/4" or 5/16".
Mine's about 3/4", there's a nice gap all around the tip. Maybe the tail end of the catback is hanging a little low. Once I had everything loosely attached I made two passes back to front adjusting and tightening to line it up.

Dave
Old May 4, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djh
Mine's about 3/4", there's a nice gap all around the tip. Maybe the tail end of the catback is hanging a little low. Once I had everything loosely attached I made two passes back to front adjusting and tightening to line it up.

Dave
Are you using the stock rubber hangers? I'm using the Kartboy poly ones and they are a ton stiffer and don't sag like the rubber ones which is probably why it is so close for me.
Old May 5, 2005, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
torque bar works the best to take bolts off.

set it to highest torque rating.

You need to take the lower control arm in order for you to fit the aftermarket sway bar. it's easier that way.

yeh, it's pos when things don't fit. I've found it best to have a spare car ready, just in case.