Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The real deal in exhaust cutouts!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The real deal in exhaust cutouts!

Hey guys,

You know how everyone who has tried to use a "quicktime" style (butterfly valve) exhaust cutout seems to complain about leakage and that they break if you have any back-fire issues or if you try to run with them partially open.

What I want to know is if anyone has tried the "project copperhead" style (gate valve) cutouts used in project copperhead on TRUCKS? They are a lot more expensive, but I was just wondering if anyone had tried them out.

For anyone who don't watch spike or isn't familiar with project copperhead the exhaust cutout I am talking about can be seen here:

http://www.dougsheaders.com/online_s...ail.cfm?id=217

Let me know,

Keith
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those are the one's with sliding plates right??? they work pretty good too... only thing is the size of the unit... the qtp one is big enough as is... that one is more likely to get hung up and a pain to fit i would think... and it does have a hefty price tag on it too...

on a side note... i didn't have to use sealant or anything on my qtp cut-out... it doesn't leak at all... maybe i got lucky???
Old Apr 30, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

dam..... i think i could make one cheaper than that.
Old May 1, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

www.jegs.com goto exhaust cutouts and jegs 3" exhaust cutout. It's 34 bucks shipped and probally 20 to weld it in at a local shop. I have mine at my house right now and its going to be put in tommorow 3 wing nut bolts, no leaking or breaking flaps.
Old May 1, 2005, 07:52 AM

Sleet thanks for the cutout post . Do you weld this on a test pipe ? Let us know how your application goes.
Old May 1, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

you weld them on the downpipe.nice idea but that will get you more trouble here in cali
Old May 1, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I know ATP makes one that is boost activated.

www.atpturbo.com
Old May 1, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet,

Where would you put the Jegs cutout? Attach it to the dp, or would you put it on the intermediate pipe somewhere?

I want a full stealth solution, so I may switch my Helix CB for a stock exhaust with cutout or something...

Please let us know how your setup looks and works.

Thanks,

FB
Old May 1, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

The thing is with the boost activated one, you wont be recieving the spooling benefits of an open exhaust, you will only be getting the higher whp up top.
Old May 1, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by berkel
Sweet,

Where would you put the Jegs cutout? Attach it to the dp, or would you put it on the intermediate pipe somewhere?

I want a full stealth solution, so I may switch my Helix CB for a stock exhaust with cutout or something...

Please let us know how your setup looks and works.

Thanks,

FB
I have the quick time performance e-cutout.... it's welded into a sectional cut helix downpipe just before the neckdown to the cat... i did it this way because "technically" the emissions equipment is still intact... this is straight from PA state troopers, it's Legal, just so it's closed when on public roads... i have stock quietness when i wanna talk, listen to music, and pulling into my neighborhood... and when i want crazy fast spool, and a major power increase with a rediculous raw sound, i open it up.... and i don't have any leaks... nor probs with the flap... and i didn't use any sealant either... maybe i have a freak sealing one??? and all this at a flick of a switch...

Chris...
Old May 1, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cash Money
I have the quick time performance e-cutout.... it's welded into a sectional cut helix downpipe just before the neckdown to the cat... i did it this way because "technically" the emissions equipment is still intact... this is straight from PA state troopers, it's Legal, just so it's closed when on public roads... i have stock quietness when i wanna talk, listen to music, and pulling into my neighborhood... and when i want crazy fast spool, and a major power increase with a rediculous raw sound, i open it up.... and i don't have any leaks... nor probs with the flap... and i didn't use any sealant either... maybe i have a freak sealing one??? and all this at a flick of a switch...

Chris...
I decided to go with the quicktime setup on my girls WRX since it comes integrated into a new high flow downpipe. I wonder why they don't have a setup like that for sale for the EVO? I would have bought one if they did back when I was first moding my EVO.

Keith
Old May 1, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

they do have one in the works if you look it says TBA.. but, they just kept reply'n, "we expect it to be available a couple months"... and that was over a 8 month period... so i decided to just go ahead and hack up an existing DP that fits... i get impatient easily... hehe...
Old May 1, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cash Money
they do have one in the works if you look it says TBA.. but, they just kept reply'n, "we expect it to be available a couple months"... and that was over a 8 month period... so i decided to just go ahead and hack up an existing DP that fits... i get impatient easily... hehe...
Yeah... "to be announced" still and I put on my exhaust system from Buschur Racing about two years ago

Keith
Old May 2, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool,

Thanks for the info. I am running my silencer in my Helix right now, and it blows. Per my dyno test, it saps about 50 (YES FIFTY!) hp...

I've seen the threads warning about the sound triggering the knock sensor, but some people seem to be ok. This was why I was considering putting it furhter downstream. May not provide as great of a gain, but with my luck it would cause tons of false knock, heh.

I asked this before, and CT9A said no CEL, but when the cutout is open, no exhaust is getting to the secondary O2 sensor, right? This should trigger the CEL, unless you have the wire fix thingy. Or, do you guys not keep the flap open long enough to trigger the cel?

If I do go this route, it shouldn't need a retune, right (I have custom dynoflash)? Should make similar or maybe more power than a 3" CB, right?

Thanks,

FB
Old May 2, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Even when the valve is completely open, there is still air going through both directions in the exhaust. At idle, barely any air travels through the stock exhaust to the rear end of the car, but there still is some air... if you rev the car to high rpms, there is still small amounts of air comming out the rear of the car, but not much at all. I believe the exhaust gases choose the route of lesser back-pressure while flowing, keeping the direction of flow and direction of the cut-out in mind.

Which that being said, the 2nd O2 sensor does see exhaust gases... I don't know how much, but seems to be sufficient enough to not throw any CELs for me... and I've driven for days with the cut-out open (you will too once you get it installed, hehe).

Quick Reply: The real deal in exhaust cutouts!