Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Good basic mods list.

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good basic mods list.

I was looking for some help with a basic mods list for an upcomming bone stock EVO. I was looking for a nice well rounded but not too complex list of mods for a BPU type of Evolution, decent HP gains with a stock turbo but nothing that will hit the wallet TOO hard, a list that I can tackle over time of the things that I really should have, and cutting out the not really necessary. Here is my list of exterior and engine mods, let me know what I am missing, some must have stuff or some helpful things.

-BOV
-Boost Guages
-Turbo Timer
-MBC
-Strut and Sway bar (just to stiffen the chassis up a tid bit, I plan on keeping the -suspension stock)
-Down Pipe
-Turbo Back exhuast
-Volk 17's
-Window tint
-CF hood
-SAFC
-Flash
Old May 3, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

BOV-Greddy TypeS
Boost Gauge-anything from Defi
Turbo Timer-Greddy
MBC-Hallman
Strut and Swaybar-Cusco front and rear strut bars and hotchkis rear swaybar
Turbo-Back Exhaust-Helix, Vishnu or Buschur
Volks-TE37's, CE28n's, or LE37T's
Window Tint-20% or darker
CF Hood-dont get one...stock one is light enough
Flash-CUSTOM TUNED from Vishnu, TurboTrix, or Dynoflash
Old May 3, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

What are some other things I am missing? I heard a K&N is a smarter move than a CAI. I see all kinds of fuel mods, and other things in sigs that just blow my mind, I am fairly educated when it comes to mods but certain things are just jibberish to me right now, are there any other things I should add to my list? Bigger injectors? or other handy must have mods? How much HP should I be making with that list, could I hop into the 12 sec club or would I need more.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hello and welcome
Old May 3, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe go with the MR diverter valve instead of a BOV
I like my apexi turbo timer but thats about all i've seen used.
Might add the ported exaust mani that BR does.
The CF hood looks great but I can think of a few other things I'd spend the money on before i got that.

edit: if you want a cai your gonna have to take out the intercooler sprayer. I'd just go with a regular intake. I've been looking at the Buschur and the Injen kit w/upper IC pipe.
I wouldn't even think about bigger injectors anytime soon. the stockers are more than good enough unless you get a bigger turbo (from what i've read) I do have the 255lph flue pump though.

whatever you do get it all at once, if you can, and then get it flashed when you're done so that everything works well together.

Last edited by rkm625; May 3, 2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
What are some other things I am missing? I heard a K&N is a smarter move than a CAI. I see all kinds of fuel mods, and other things in sigs that just blow my mind, I am fairly educated when it comes to mods but certain things are just jibberish to me right now, are there any other things I should add to my list? Bigger injectors? or other handy must have mods? How much HP should I be making with that list, could I hop into the 12 sec club or would I need more.
well on top of all those things I mentioned, get an intake...HKS RS comes to mind(if its tuned then u wont have no problem with an intake) and get cams and cam gears
HKS 272's come to mind
than maybe a piggyback engine management to get maximum power
oh most important thing when ur adding mods and this will go along with the turboback...
WALBRO 255LPH FUEL PUMP!!!!!

with all those mods and good driving skills, yes you should be in teh 12sec. club
Old May 3, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

you might wanna consider a clutch too. I was plannin on doin some other things and then my clutch went. I'm gettin the car back tomorrow with the ACT HDSS kit in it. From what i've read its a pretty good clutch for sub 400hp cars.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Ok so the initial list, a K&N drop in, but why a diverter valve over a BOV? Fuel pump... I think the cams and came gears are a little much for now unless it's something that isn't TOO expensive. How much should I be looking to spend on a new clutch because I do hear the stock clutch is junk. Any price ranges on this stuff?
Old May 4, 2005, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOboostVIII
but why a diverter valve over a BOV?
Same thing, really. Just semantics. Some people refer to a vented valve as a BOV, where as a diverter valve is routed back into the intake. And Mistubishi does call the valve a diverter valve.
Old May 4, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ce fed
Same thing, really. Just semantics. Some people refer to a vented valve as a BOV, where as a diverter valve is routed back into the intake. And Mistubishi does call the valve a diverter valve.
Run a bov(vent to atmosphere), and dont count on having your car run good. Thats why most people on here get a diverter valve, diverts it back into the intake, but not even all of them make the car run fine. I would recommend either an aps valve, mr valve, or just stay with the stocker.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Forge DV work well also with the correct spring.
Old May 4, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
depends on what your looking for and how much you got. your list looks pretty decent to me, might want to add a intake like HKS RS or something.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I got the ACT kit, light weight flywheel, and B&M adjustable short throw. your gonna be lookin around $1200 with labor. My labor was $400.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Im in the same boat pretty much. Put in an Exedy Twin Disc, APS BOV (works great as it does divert unless under high boost, then it VTA with a nice snap).

Coming up: ordered a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Injen Intake with upper IC pipe, AMS Lower IC pipe and a 3" AMS TBE. After all is said and done, going to have Al tune it down at Pruven (I live in CT). Looking forward to decent numbers and a nice change of power.

Cams and cam gears plus a new tune in another year or so.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

One good thing to do is look at the Vendors on this site and check their websites for their staged upgrades. Buschur, Vishnu, AMS, etc. They usually list a good order and combo for mods...

Quick Reply: Good basic mods list.