Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Octane Booster...no good...questions

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005 | 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Go to your local paint store. Buy "toluene" (paint thinner). Toluene is 114 octane. It comes by the gallon, 5 gallon, and 55 gallon drum. Do not exceed 30% Toluene to gas in your tank. I can show you how to calculate total octane if need be. This stuff compares to nothing else in terms of octane boosters.
Old May 5, 2005 | 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mobounce
Ok, so I already know octane booster only raises octane a few small points...but I wanted to test this particular one out... Prestone "0 to 60" "Increases octane on high performance vehicles up to 10 points!" (1 point is equal to 0.1 octane number) So in essence my 92 octane pump I get could be 93 octane..whoopie!! (yea right).

Well, here's my question and theory... After using this booster in 2 tankfuls, I have noticed...lower idle and small hiccups in lower rpms. Is this possible? Can octane booster HURT the car in any way? Has it in the past? All I know is... After filling the tank with my normal BP 92 octane and NOT adding the booster, I get better idling. Is this possibile? All I know is..I will never use any octane booster again. It was just more of a test. Any thoughts? Can a low tank of gas cause lower idle? It seems that way on my car for some reason. Factual scenarios on damage to an engine because of octane boosters?

Thanks...
[/size][/font]

How 'bout this: http://www.policyalternatives.ca/ind...80&pA=BB736455
Old May 5, 2005 | 10:11 PM

search for TORCO Accelerator. It works, period!
Old May 6, 2005 | 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
I don't trust any of that nonsense. Points or not.

If you want to cheaply increase octane try toluene.

Otherwise, buy a drum of the good stuff

Oh and to answer your question, yes in theory it could hurt your car. It's not a pure mix, and who knows how well it burns.

Edit: Yea, I can't spell
that's about it... or buy a drum of toluene... which is the super good stuff :].
Old May 6, 2005 | 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

i dont waste my time / money on the octane boosters
Old May 6, 2005 | 04:51 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
Toluene is 114 octane.
I know that's what the tables say, but that's a standard blending octane number, which doesn't really reflect how it behaves when mixed with 91 AKI gas. I should have bookmarked it, but I found a write-up from an Australian magazine that tested various octane boosters and toluene in premium gas with a real CFR engine. Their results, which match other peoples' experience, is that toluene is around 105 AKI. That said, if you can get it for a good price it's the real deal. Unleaded 105 race gas goes for around $6/gal and has a lower specific gravity than toluene and is oxygenated, i.e. lower energy content on a volume basis.

Dave
Old May 6, 2005 | 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

there are debates about what octane toluene is... it is of no contest however that the stuff they used to use in f1 was indeed 114 octane... whether or not you can get that in a can from home depot... or from a drum at a race gas dealer is a different story all together.

there are places that sell drums of 104 for 4 bucks a gallon... hell with gas prices these days.. that might be a deal!
Old May 6, 2005 | 06:25 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
there are debates about what octane toluene is
And the standard octane test conditions are nothing like what a modern engine runs! But you're right, it doesn't really matter what it is exactly, as long as you're using it the right way. And that is: your machine is tuned for the fuel you usually run and you just want to goose the octane because you're going to be operating under severe conditions, like on a road course. The wrong way is to think you can make some homebrew to match the VP101 you used to tune on.

A quick MMT update, I just found a reference to a Ford paper [SAE 821193] that maybe indicates MMT ain't such a bad guy. Any SAE members who could look it up? If the Torco stuff has hard numbers on how much MMT it has in it I'd consider giving it a try if I knew I could keep the concentration to no more than 18mg Mn/litre.

Dave
Old May 6, 2005 | 06:51 AM
Account Disabled

BTW, 10 points, is like 1 octane, not 10 octane. Believe it or not the NOS brand actually works, raises 94 to almost 100 and did wonders for TURBO Mag's Galant VR4.
Old May 6, 2005 | 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Go pick up the June 2005 issue of Super Street Magazine, on page 149 there is a GREAT ARTICLE on race gas, octane booster, and how they relate to your engine. It explains all the octane points system, the differences between regular pump gas and race gas, and tells under what conditions you need to use more octane. I just got done reading it and it answered all my questions.
Old May 6, 2005 | 06:57 AM
Account Disabled

Scane it and post it
Old May 6, 2005 | 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have a scanner =( and it is like 3 or 4 pages long. If I took pix with a digital camera, they would be too high-res to post.
Old May 6, 2005 | 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

guys the place am in we have the crapy 93 RON you guys have somthing like 91 to 95 PON wich meens u guys have much much better gas than what we have cuse a 93RON is a bout the same as 89PON what ui guys have ..so bascly am screwed!!!!
the day i got my EVO 2005 MR i open the gas tank and it said on it 95+ octain only !!! dayeeeem am busted ..
so i just got me 3 cases of TORCO UNLEADED ACCELERATOR, RACE FUEL CONCENTRATE
wich u guys can see here
http://www.torcoracefuels.com/catalo...products_id=28

what do u guys think..i am getting some mods on the way now and i want to get boost up to 1.4 bar with the ehelp of good gas and turbo XS ECU !!!
what do u guys think of this product ..thy say its 120 octain racing fule wich i can add to the gas tank when felled and i should go up to 95 to96PON or about 98RON
did u guys ever hear about his product and how good is it ?

http://competitionplus.com/2004_12_0...celerator.html

hopeflywe will get 95 the end of this year but for now i need to find a way !

Last edited by omarv6; May 6, 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 6, 2005 | 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by omarv6
guys the place am in we have the crapy 93 RON...
You also have that crappy buzzer that annoys you when you exceed the KSA national speed limit.

Originally Posted by omarv6
...so i just got me 3 cases of TORCO UNLEADED ACCELERATOR, RACE FUEL CONCENTRATE
That won't help you. Sure, it will raise the octane to 104 as advertised...so long as you add maybe 10 cans to one tank of gasoline!

You may want to find a source of xylene or toluene, and use at a rate of 10-15% in every tank of fuel.
Old May 6, 2005 | 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
You also have that crappy buzzer that annoys you when you exceed the KSA national speed limit.

That won't help you. Sure, it will raise the octane to 104 as advertised...so long as you add maybe 10 cans to one tank of gasoline!

You may want to find a source of xylene or toluene, and use at a rate of 10-15% in every tank of fuel.
you know am not sure about the crappy buzzer thing ...i dont have it on the Z350 even though i always hit the 250KM/h limit...but for the evo am not sure ..but even though i hit the 200 km/h range befor but i dont remmember i herd it !! the golf V6 4motion it had it but took it out ..

so u say u dont think its true huh !!!
i dont know about the toluene thing ,..am kinda scared to screw things up !!!
thanks for ur help though !!

Last edited by omarv6; May 6, 2005 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster...no good...questions