Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Octane Booster...no good...questions

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Booster...no good...questions

Ok, so I already know octane booster only raises octane a few small points...but I wanted to test this particular one out... Prestone "0 to 60" "Increases octane on high performance vehicles up to 10 points!" (1 point is equal to 0.1 octane number) So in essence my 92 octane pump I get could be 93 octane..whoopie!! (yea right).

Here's the write up on the prestone site so you have more of an idea....

"Prestone® 0 To 60® Booster

Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster is a super concentrated, “street legal” fuel additive that is capable of raising the octane of regular unleaded gasoline by up to 10 points. Raising the octane of the fuel helps to reduce knocks and pings, which can rob the engine of its power and improves the overall performance of the fuel system by cleaning fouled injectors and carburetors. Providing year-round driving protection, Prestone Fuel System Cleaner will clean injectors, intake valves and carburetors in one tank.

0 to 60 Booster contains a super concentrated blend of MMT and detergent that will:
  • Raise the octane of regular gasoline by up to 10 points
  • Clean fuel injectors
  • Clean carburetors
  • Help reduce knocks and pings
  • Help restore power lost due to fouled injectors and deposits in the system"
Well, here's my question and theory... After using this booster in 2 tankfuls, I have noticed...lower idle and small hiccups in lower rpms. Is this possible? Can octane booster HURT the car in any way? Has it in the past? All I know is... After filling the tank with my normal BP 92 octane and NOT adding the booster, I get better idling. Is this possibile? All I know is..I will never use any octane booster again. It was just more of a test. Any thoughts? Can a low tank of gas cause lower idle? It seems that way on my car for some reason. Factual scenarios on damage to an engine because of octane boosters?

Thanks...
Attached Images  

Last edited by mobounce; May 5, 2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old May 5, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I don't trust any of that nonsense. Points or not.

If you want to cheaply increase octane try toluene.

Otherwise, buy a drum of the good stuff

Oh and to answer your question, yes in theory it could hurt your car. It's not a pure mix, and who knows how well it burns.

Edit: Yea, I can't spell

Last edited by bolsen; May 5, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

I know its crap, not questioning that..but does it HURT the car in any way, anybody with experiences? BOLSEN, thanks for the input ...keep em comin
Old May 5, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Octane booster is a was of money as you know. My experiance with it is it is very hard on plugs and may ruin your O2 sensor. I used it in my Grand National years ago and ruined several o2 sensors I now mix a couple of gallons of 100 Octane race fuel with each fill up.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

You need to stop toying around with that cheap stuff. Move up to some stuff that brings real results, like fuel magnets and a Turbonator.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:59 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobounce
0 to 60 Booster contains a super concentrated blend of MMT and detergent that will:
Ah, Prestone marketing speak: "super concentrated" my ***. There's a few pennies' worth of MMT in it, which is a reasonably good octane booster, but not like good old "ethyl." It might cause accelerated engine wear and shorten the life of catalytic converters and O2 sensors. All auto makers recommend against using it. If you can get toluene for <$6/gal that's a good deal, otherwise just use race gas.

Dave
Old May 5, 2005, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bolsen
If you want to cheaply increase octane try tulane.
Tulane is a very good private institution. I started a Ph.D. there a couple of years ago. It isn't cheap, and I doubt it would have any affect on your octane.

On the other hand, toluene and even better, xylene, will increase your octane so long as you run 10-15% v/v with your gasoline. Canned octane boosters typically consist of toluene and/or xylene, but there isn't enough volume to measurably affect one's octane, despite the slick marketing poop.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Where do you get race gas in Maryland?
Old May 5, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for all your input guys...ive used toulene before, I just wanted to test this crap in a can So I guess its safe to say my crappy idlle and small hiccups were from the octane boosters effect on my injectors? In turn resulting in the nasty *** idle?

I wish we can get race gas here redily, the closest thing I can get is the Toulene at Home Depot or C-16 from a local race shop here.
Old May 5, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Tulane is a very good private institution. I started a Ph.D. there a couple of years ago. It isn't cheap, and I doubt it would have any affect on your octane.

On the other hand, toluene and even better, xylene, will increase your octane so long as you run 10-15% v/v with your gasoline. Canned octane boosters typically consist of toluene and/or xylene, but there isn't enough volume to measurably affect one's octane, despite the slick marketing poop.

BUSTER!!!

I guess spelling is something you learn once you get your Ph.D, because they didn't teach me anything in undergrad!
Old May 5, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

is it really safe to run race gas on a totally stock evo. I heard from a friend who has a friend who knows someone that used the race gas and totally messed up the injectors and thats why my friend said not to use it.
Old May 5, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race gas mess up injectors? I guess it would depend on the injectors...
Old May 5, 2005, 03:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with that money, you could mix in some race gas.

wouldn't that make more since?
Old May 5, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karash
Race gas mess up injectors? I guess it would depend on the injectors...
It was probably leaded race fuel and over time it can contaminate injectors, O2 sensors, etc.

On another note. Techron is the best in the tank injector and top end cleaner. We used to use it to remove deposits on exhaust valve stems and it worked. A few OEMs are using to fix various problems like this.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster...no good...questions