Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Fluid Capacity Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But using redline wont
Old May 10, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by omarv6
so guys thwe oil i used is it ok ?
yeah that Castrol Synth should be fine for the TC.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

thax bro ...now i can go and have some funn
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

MEVO,

what year is your Evo??
I just changed my transfer oil for my 05... and it took less than 0.58 qt...
My old 03 took about the 0.58qt as specified... but my guess is that this is no
longer the correct capacity since the 05 front has a LSD... ??
Old Jun 14, 2005, 06:16 PM

Hey JT, My EVO is an 03. I filled it and at first it did not take all .58Q then I took it for a ride and repumped the G Oil into the TC using the plug I created for the hose on my gear oil pump so that the hose goes into the TS and plug blocks the backflow from the filler hole. Not Sure about 05, look in the 05 Owners Manual under fluid capacities.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why 1/2 quart of fluid doesn't go all in is because most of the fluid never gets to fully drain out when changing fluids. If you look at the t-case you will see that there is an inspection cover in the lower rear of the case. It is held in by 4 10mm bolts and uses silicone as a sealant. This cover is in a spot were fluid collects and unless you take it off you will never get all of the old fluid out. So the drain plug in fact will only drain out a small amount of fluid therefore not letting you fill her up to .58 quarts. The case also has several pockets were fluid will remain in, only coming out if you were to remove the whole t-case.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm.. that make a lot of sense... come to think of it, I didn't allow a lot of time for
it to drain... there were still thin string of oil coming out of the drain plug when I
plugged it back up. I was really curious because I remember my 03 take about
0.5 qt as specified.

Next time, I'm gonna use a aerosol to force the fluid out from the diffs...

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 15, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

In response to a bunch of info or mis-info in this thread...

About the TC coming with fluid in it.

Like Jon said, it should only have a small amount of oil in it. You said that every hole was sealed up and it was full, which is odd, but I guess it's possible. Even if it was full you couldn't install it without that oil comin out. As soon as you pulled the seal off of the passenger side output shaft oil would come out. The output shaft is lower than the fill hole and that's why you should drain your TC before you pull your halfshafts so you don't get a bath. You said your mechanic changed the oil though, so this doesn't really matter much as long as he got the full amount of fluid in there.

About the front LSD decreasing the fluid capacity of the diff.

The front LSD should have no effect on the TC fluid capacity. The front diff is lubricated with trasnmission oil that is fed from the tranny to the TC through a small port just above the TC input shaft. However, the ACD could occupy more space in the TC causing the fluid capacity to be less, but that's purely speculation.

The question about using redline oil making a difference.

The jury's out on this. My thought, and the majority of engineers I know completely agree with me, is that as long as the oil you use meets all the specifications of the original oil than you will be fine. I am using Redline MT-90 in my Tranny, and 75W-90 in my TC and Rear diff, and I've been using them for 23k miles. I sent my tranny and TC out to Jon for the TSB updates to my tranny and an inspection of my TC to see how it was holding up. Jon said I had the best looking TC he's ever pulled apart on an Evo as far as wear, and my tranny had no wear besides the TSB parts and some damage to the 2nd gear hub/sleeve assembly that I admittedly caused myself from a missed shift. All of this service was done at 15k miles which was 14k miles after changing to redline. After getting my tranny back I decided to use BG syncroshift since many members raved about it over the Redline. That fluid when combined with the superb rebuild that Jon did resulted in a very very smooth shifting tranny. However, after 8k miles of it being in there I switched back to Redline and I can tell you the redline feels even better, I wish I had just stuck with it in the first place.
Back on topic more, the key point here is using oils that meet the specifications called out by the factory. GL-5 in the TC and Rear, GL-4 in the tranny, and 75W-90 weight all around. 03BREvo8, I would be leary about using Redline's shockproof oils in your drivetrain. Redline's specifications on these oils do not meet any GL-4 or GL-5 requirements. This is most likely due to the very nature of the heavy film thickness and low viscosity of their shockproof oils, but that lack of certication makes me turn away. However, Redline's 75W-90 meets and exceeds the API GL-5 certification. Redline's MT-90 is a 75W-90 weight oil that is GL-4 certified, and is probably one of the few GL-4 oils left. Most companies produce GL-5 and try to sell it as an oil that fits multiple applications, but in fact it doesn't. A GL-5 oil will not work properly in the transmission. In the end, I'm not saying that the shockproof oils won't work, but I won't use them. The best approach to drivetrain lubes is to make sure the oil you use meets all the specifications of the stock lubricants.

- Steve
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Steve!

I'm having really hard time shifting now after putting the MT-90 in my tranny which
is weird b/c I have good results with MT-90 with my 03. I'm gonna give it another
few k miles...

I'm running Amsoil Series 2000 gear fluid 75w90 in my transfer and rear... they
just released a new GL-4 fluid too... I think I'll try that next.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

guys ... i have some oil drops now under the car !!!
i checked it ..and its not from the lower part of the car ...and it smells like transmition oil not engin.

i was looking and it was driping from the uper part of the engin bay .
when i was under the car ...it seemd it was driping on the sides of the trans from a black hose wich was going up then did a U turn and pointed down again!!!
guys do u know where is that oil coming from ...
i didnt show it to my mechanic yet .
but dos any one know where could it be from ?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Are you talking about the transmission breather hose?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so any verdict out on the Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid mentioned above?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

So if you fill the TC back up with fluid and the fluids pours back out of the fill hole, then you have enought fluid, right? So it doesnt matter how much was pumped in as long as the level is high enough for the fluid to be above the fill hole?

I have drained the TC out three times now and have never gotten near .58 quarts in the TC. I usually use about .4 quarts of the bottle (some of the fluid stays in the hose on the pump too) I would guess that about .05 to .1 quarts of the .4 that I used is wasted in spillage and remaining in the tube. The procedure for refilling doesnt say anything about driving the car and rechecking the oil level.

I always thought there was just a good bit of fluid that didnt drain out, like SuperZ said.

Brian
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
so any verdict out on the Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid mentioned above?
Manual Transaxle "Tranny" Penzoil *Syncromesh
Transfer Case RedLine Heavy Shockproof
Rear Differential Mobil1 *Full Synthetic
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump for this thread... just wanted to see how many peoples TCs got smoked from Redline and what not hehe... .........

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Fluid Capacity Issue