Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ssautochrome intercooler

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meanmud
Az3ar - you're so missing the point!

What AMS did in the One Lap 'O America helps us, Competitive tuning helps us, etc.... Not knock-offs .

Eric is spot on !
Just test the F*** product, simple as that.

TEST IT before you talk too much... if it performs as well as AMS then you will be dumb not to buy it. Any business out there faces challenges.
Old May 9, 2005, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those that see it from both sides I thank you.

I hope all of you make a very very informed descision when buying any product for your car.

I have said it umteen times on here and its just as true as the first time I said it.

"you get what you pay for"

Eric
Old May 9, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the fact that there is a icfor under $300, but I could never put it on my evo she means to much to me.
Old May 9, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Wow. I can't believe some of the responses in this thread. I think some of you need to talk to some people in a USA industry that is being effected by Chinese knock offs. I have to deal w/ this stuff all the time. People lose there jobs to this all the time. As americans, we can not compete w/ the chinese labor market. Chinese workers are lucky to get $5-10 a day in some of those factories. They use inferior materials and have a very low quality control. Patents are meaningless in China. They will copy anything that is labor intensive in order to make money. When it comes to fabrication, we will never be able to compete w/ China (price wise), unless new tariffs are put down.

The interesting part about this thread is that the AMS intercooler is priced very well against the other JDM intercoolers. Yet, people still think it is overpriced.
Losing jobs hurt, but implementing protectionist policies to protect a few job losses hurts even more.
Old May 9, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Somebody should test both of them. Numbers don't lie!
Old May 9, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JeffR116
Somebody should test both of them. Numbers don't lie!

Thats what I have been saying cant be too hard...
Old May 9, 2005, 02:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, I agree, you do get what you pay for most of the times.

You know, I would actually slam ssautochrome if they've knocked off electronics or something that requires some precision and R&D.

But as far as pipings, tubings, and non mechanical components, there are only few things that you could mess up on.
Old May 9, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

^true.it's hard to mess up something like this.i bet it works just as good as the ams unit also.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
blah blah blah, why don't you sue me too while you're at it? is your design patented? that's why it's there, to protect your hard earned R & D.

If not, that's just bad business practice. sorry, I don't condone illegal activity, but if they're copying it directly, obviously either,

1. You're going to sue them and win the lawsuit,

2. you don't have a patent on your design and it's obviously a copy of some other design that you can't patent and really, you didn't invent the intercooler. Which makes you a thief too then.

If your product is so much better, why sweat it? You obviously don't have any legal rights to stop them. But maybe because your FMIC is good, that's why they're copying it, which should be a better for your marketing and sales.

By the way, competition and the price drop is created by having a similar products at less money. Great products come out from that competition because someone gets sick of the same game and create something extraordinary that noone could copy, because of the patent.

How is that theivery? It's just business. They didn't goto your wearhouse and stole all your FMIC and sold it for less?

I do agree though, on the pictures and data. That should be your intellectual property which you could sue them for.

I like AMS, but what's got to be said have to be said.
Everything SS autochrome has and will always be junk. A turbocharger that has the compressor housing fall apart into 2 pieces LOL.. quality. Seal in the turbolasting only 3 months.. HAHAHA good stuff. Plus cracked manifolds and everything else. I would rather save my money and get a quality product. Rather it be AMS, or whoever. People offering a quality product at a good cost and not directly marketing it as something else is a different story.. Even putting XC power on their products is a joke.. Turbo XS, and XS engineering could both be easily mistaken for that slogan on a product. Both of whom make a far superior product!

Oh and just for the record.. a Garrett Intercooler brick that is the right size to replace the evo's is around 300.00 to purchase by itself.. So if an intercooler is 300.00-400.00 it's prolly using a p.o.s core. and wont be worth the time to bolt it on. An intercooler isnt just a piece of tubing.. And yes it takes skill and R&D to build manifolds and other piping that will stand the test of time!

Last edited by humpevo311; May 10, 2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

let's start a boycott SS autochrome thread
Old May 10, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

^I agree.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Should be a good start.. btw whoever said it dosent take skill to make tubular things like manifolds.. really should know what they are talking about before they speak.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Hhahaha #2
Old May 10, 2005, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old May 10, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

And the manifolds that we have running on our evos for almost a year with no problems??

I am sure they did not manufacture that turbo and it was sourced out... after all they don’t make turbos they just sale them...

Quick Reply: ssautochrome intercooler