Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

idle problems! *help! please!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well then I think we know they didn't bleed the lifters or you would have seen them take all 16 out and bleed them. That and a possible rocker out of place is the noise you are hearing.
See this thread
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=135316
Old May 9, 2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, your set up is close to mine and i have the same problems, I was told it could be a vacuum leak or the aftermarket BOV, maybe water in the engine..., im still trying to figure mine out when i get some answers imma hook you up with it and hopefully that'll help you out
Old May 9, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
as far as bleeding was concern... i saw the mechanic push a ball in with an allen wrench during the process of the install...

Evolmaniac - thanks... please keep everyone informed... *starting to get worried of more damage*

about 200 miles have been put on the cams... the problem couldn't be replicated last night... i started to hear a knocking noise again above spark plug #2 (side closer to the cam gears)... went away after car was warmed up...

once i got to my work's parking lot... waiting for the turbo timer to complete its count down... it dipped in idle once again to about 600rpm then shot back up to the normal 850ish area... which worries me more
Old May 9, 2005, 08:23 AM

hmm, that really sounds a lot like my problem
Old May 9, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

heh... feel a lil better since we're on the same boat...
feel kinda bad though because it worries me greatly...lol
Old May 9, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

So he did bleed the lifters from what you describe.
I think the rocker is off the end of the valve. It's easy to have it happen since there is nothing holding it in there until the cams are in again. You should just pop the cover and make sure all the rockers are on and check all the lifters while your at it.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

thanks timzcat...

and as far as the idle issue that i was concern with... only reason why i was stressing on that more was i thought that, that could be related to the rpm drop issue...

if a rocker is out of place... how bad could the damages be after about 100 miles of driving?
Old May 9, 2005, 10:30 AM

My idle has always been at 950-1000 rpm, is this normal? Heh...
Old May 9, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

i envy you... put it that way
Old May 9, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ultraflip
thanks timzcat...

and as far as the idle issue that i was concern with... only reason why i was stressing on that more was i thought that, that could be related to the rpm drop issue...

if a rocker is out of place... how bad could the damages be after about 100 miles of driving?
The most it will usually do is beat up on the end of the valve stem but it is usually nothing to worry about. There is another current thread where this happened to a member. I believe it nicked the end of the valve but that's is not serious. I would just check as soon as you can. You can check all the lifters while your in there by simply pushing down on them to see if they go in or not. They should not, and if one is bad it is pretty obvious. It just so happens that it is always #2 intake that has a problem so far.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

hehe check your bov as well I had same setup with my forge red spring and I noticed it would not open correctly when shifting dont know if that was the complete problem but when I replaced the bov everything was much better even my A/C seemed to work better cuz b4 it actually turned off a few times well when I was in a hurry and did properly warm it up at least
Old May 9, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

eh... i'm not sure if changing the BOV would help that lil knocking issue that i have
Old May 9, 2005, 12:17 PM

i was told that the BOV could be causing the problem... maybe, then again i was told a lot of things... hehe (still researching)
Old May 9, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

went out for lunch... on the way back from eating...
replicated the problem....

after a hard acceleration... went into neutral... stopped at the light... idle dipped.... did it again to the next light... idle dipped again... parked in the parking lot... allowed the turbo timer to count down... stuck my head in the engine bay.... knocking sound was not as apparent... although... the idle dipped twice to about 500 before the car shut off....

any ideas anyone?
Old May 9, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

bump for more input

Quick Reply: idle problems! *help! please!!!