Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Custom work going on at Buschur Racing....

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
I'm not sure he was being smart-alecky. I think the question might have been genuine. I know there is a good answer, I'm just curious too
I think the question was genuine too. Why does he need 2 plumbs coming out the tank when they combine into one anyway?

-M
Old May 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Now thats what I call a fuel system.
Old May 13, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Looks really good guys
Old May 13, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There are dual outlets on most fuel cells. One is only really needed. Rather than plug one I figured what the heck, do a two into one, it look trick and won't hurt anything.

The return for the cell is on the top. Some guys run the return to the second outlet on the bottom. This pushes fuel away from the feed in my opinion.

The fuel system, interior etc are done in this car now. We stayed late tonight and finished.

A couple of new trim pieces for the interior are coming next week.

The owner wants this car to look as good as it runs. Also wants it finished as soon as we can get it done.

Next week we have to try and straighten the frame in the front, replace the hood, fender, windshield, front fascia and put the engine and trans in the car. Then the cross member and such has to be refitted and some welding done with a new core support. This car was bought with a salvage title. It was hit pretty hard.

Hopefully by late next week we can hear it start and run.

3 weeks on the wheels and tires, that is going to hold the entire job up.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 13, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Do you guys have a "before" picture? I'd like to see how this thing started as I follow the progress.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

How much for that wheel /tire combo and what the Fuel cell run? Jarrod get nick back yet ? lol FOCUS
Old May 13, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks sweet!!!!!!! I love that clean look....nice work .
Old May 13, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

looks really nice
Old May 13, 2005, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Its good to see the master at work on a serious project ! I for one cant wait to see the finished results and watch as this project unfolds !
Old May 13, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like it will be a killer Evo for the dragstrip when done, keep up the good progress!

Last edited by Hiboost; May 13, 2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 13, 2005, 05:48 PM
Account Disabled

Hey David or anyone else that may know, what size line are you running -6 or -8? And if you'd be so kind what is the HP or LPH limitations of the -6? I'm running the Perrin fuel rail and want to upgrade the soft supply line leading up to it, they have both -6 and -8 adapters to fit but don't know which to use? I'm not planning on going beyond the limits of the walbro 255 pump. Thanks for any help!
Old May 13, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We didn't take any before pics of the car. Imagine one of the most beat up EVO's you have ever seen and then beat it up more. This car was unbelievabley trashed. The carpet was so bad it was going to be replaced. After a call to the dealer and retail price quote of $550 for the carpet I thought we might be able to clean it. We sprayed it down with some very heavy duty cleaner, put it out on the concrete and sprayed it with a high pressure hose. Surprised, it came out as good as new. The owner of this car must have hauled a lot of stuff in the car. Interior panels are gouged, front trunk panel is broken, paint is horrible, lots of rust, which is a serious EVO problem as much as I hate to say it. It is very sad the shape this car was in. It's hard to believe someone buys a $30,000 car has it at most 3 years and trashes it this bad. The car had some aftermarket parts in the drivetrain so whoever owned/wrecked it had modified it already.

The wheels are Centerlines, I believe they are under $200 each, the tires are around $200 per tire. Those are DOT Hoosier's. The car is being set-up for serious street use.

The fuel cell, fittings, pump, filter, AN lines, regulator and fuel rail fittings run about $1200. This system will supply 1,000 hp.

The lines we used were -8. We have always used -10 in the past but that is truly over kill. We have made in excess of 650 whp on the stock fuel lines. The -8's will take this car further than it will be built. I don't know what -6 or-8 will flow, there are numbers on those types of things out there though. My personal experience is even a -6 line would be good for atleast 700 whp.

The Walbro pump we sell for the EVO has put 550 whp to the ground with no issues at all. You may be surprised how much you can run on a good intank pump.

The cell in this car was done for a few reasons. Number one is there aren't any good cheap fuel systems on the market. AMS makes a super nice kit, but the price is just about the same as this entire fuel system. Granted you keep the stock tank and the install is a little bit easier. That takes us to the second reason, weight. The stock tank assembly is about 40 pounds. This 10 gallon aluminum cell is maybe 5 pounds. I should have weighed it but didn't.

As you guys can see this isn't a hacked up mess. The owner wants the car very clean and functional. Full interior, hell we even had to leave all the trunk carpet and trim panel in it.
Radio, power windows, door locks etc. Factory seats and such too.

We have some good ideas for this car and it is going to be interesting to see how it comes out.

The frame damage in the front is pretty nasty. I have some ideas how to fix it and they involve using my 4wd Duramax Dooley and a chain to help "straighten" it out. DON'T laugh!! I had a 1992 DSM I bought wrecked and a 4wd F150 did wonders. I chained one side of the car to my house and pulled it the other direction with the truck! I drove it for a long time and as far as I know it is still being beat on by someone else! Good times.

Take care,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 13, 2005, 08:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The frame damage in the front is pretty nasty. I have some ideas how to fix it and they involve using my 4wd Duramax Dooley and a chain to help "straighten" it out. DON'T laugh!! I had a 1992 DSM I bought wrecked and a 4wd F150 did wonders. I chained one side of the car to my house and pulled it the other direction with the truck! I drove it for a long time and as far as I know it is still being beat on by someone else! Good times.

Take care,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
That reminds me of my first "hot rod" when I was a young lad which was actually a souped up garden tractor that I put truck tires on and used to roll down long hills at insane speeds. Sadly I had a mishap where my brake failed and I impacted a giant boulder at 65 mph. I went flying and the tractor bent in about 2 feet. That is exactly how we fixed it - by chaining the back end to a big oak tree and the other end to a F350. It took about 10 pulls and it came back into shape. Its funny to think about fixing an evo with the same methods!

BTW - I have seen the ugly RUST issue rearing its head on my evo and several other Evos as well. If there is any thing I would consider a negative about the Evo it is the rust protection quality which is not up to the standards of our era.
Old May 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 13, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Dave-
Can you still use the stock front brakes with those wheels?