Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT owners...Does your clutch Stink? literally?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT owners...Does your clutch Stink? literally?

after about 600 miles i slipped my ACT clutch the other day for the first time. It grabbed well and ripped me through first gear....but god damn....it f_cking stunk for like the next 10 minutes.

Is this normal?
Old May 15, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

any clutch when it gets hot will stink
Old May 15, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

i got about 550 miles and so far no stink
Old May 15, 2005, 08:49 AM

It stinks because you slipped it. thats normal.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Only when I slip it.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Slipping clutch = No! No! Yeah... they (clutches) tend to heat up aburn when you slip it. You'll get that smell everytime. I've had mine for about 7k+ miles and love it.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rez90
after about 600 miles i slipped my ACT clutch the other day for the first time. It grabbed well and ripped me through first gear....but god damn....it f_cking stunk for like the next 10 minutes. Is this normal?
As others have stated, it is normal for a clutch to stink when overheated. For it to be overheated is not nomal and should be avoided. If it stunk for 10 minutes you cooked the snot out of it which should never be necessary. You may have to change your driving habits if this is happening frequently.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

You do not have a racing clutch, respect its limits. I have over heated mine about three or four times but nothing like what you describe, you are slipping it way to much. My guess is that you still have the fluid return restrictor in place.

Last edited by WildRice; May 15, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's also possible you may have the clutch pre-loaded..
Old May 15, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
As others have stated, it is normal for a clutch to stink when overheated. For it to be overheated is not nomal and should be avoided. If it stunk for 10 minutes you cooked the snot out of it which should never be necessary. You may have to change your driving habits if this is happening frequently.
Mr. ACTman. When i slipped the clutch, it was a quick slip from about 4500 rpms and like i said the clutch was quickly slipped. I do not frequently do this at all and hoenstly i could have rode it wayyyyyyyy worse. This in my opinion (From someone who hardly ever launches or slips his clutch) is something that many more aggressive drivers do all the time. on top of that....just last night. My car was sitting in my driveway (which is on a slight incline) i had to start my car as if i were on a slight hill. Meaning the rpms went to about 2500 and i had to slowly let the clutch out.....just like anyone else would on an incline. after moving the car into the garage (which was like a total of 10 feet of driving) myself and my 3 friends that were with me could smell the clutch again.......

so let me ask you....how do i drive my car normally and not overheat my clutch? And keep in mind...i am 25 and i have been driving standard transmission cars since the day i turned 17, so please dont' start telling me i dont' know how to drive a standard transmission car. I have owned clutches from centerfornce, exedy, RPS, and ACT in the past....and none of them have had this kind of smell from a slight slip....

believe me, i am not knocking your clutch or your company...i know you guys make outstanding products. And this is not my first clutch from you guys and probably won't be the last.....i am just trying to find out if everything is alright with my car/tranny....clutch......
Old May 15, 2005, 08:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i fried mine before and compare to stock, it stinks almost next to nothing.

I like act.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rez90
Mr. ACTman. When i slipped the clutch, it was a quick slip from about 4500 rpms and like i said the clutch was quickly slipped. I do not frequently do this at all and hoenstly i could have rode it wayyyyyyyy worse. This in my opinion (From someone who hardly ever launches or slips his clutch) is something that many more aggressive drivers do all the time. on top of that....just last night. My car was sitting in my driveway (which is on a slight incline) i had to start my car as if i were on a slight hill. Meaning the rpms went to about 2500 and i had to slowly let the clutch out.....just like anyone else would on an incline. after moving the car into the garage (which was like a total of 10 feet of driving) myself and my 3 friends that were with me could smell the clutch again.......

so let me ask you....how do i drive my car normally and not overheat my clutch? And keep in mind...i am 25 and i have been driving standard transmission cars since the day i turned 17, so please dont' start telling me i dont' know how to drive a standard transmission car. I have owned clutches from centerfornce, exedy, RPS, and ACT in the past....and none of them have had this kind of smell from a slight slip....

believe me, i am not knocking your clutch or your company...i know you guys make outstanding products. And this is not my first clutch from you guys and probably won't be the last.....i am just trying to find out if everything is alright with my car/tranny....clutch......
Of course it is easy to try and speculate, but the bottom line is that heat causes the smell. Heat comes from slippage. It could be that you have a limited amount of surface area doing the work so it gets hot faster than usual. It may just be a case of the clutch not being lapped in all the way. If the flywheel was warped upon install, it is really difficult to get full contact for a long time. Once again, I am just speculating.

In the case of the driveway thing, it is a little unique in that you slip the clutch right before you pull into a confined garage where you tend to notice the smell a bit more and the engine doesn't have time to cool the clutch off or dissapate the smell from driving down the road. A little slip and a little smell is normal. We use good materials that can take a fair amount of abuse, but once you hit a certain point, the material will go away rapidly, just like most clutches.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
Just got mine installed and I love it... I know I am kind of jacking his thread but what is the RPM range that would minimize slippage/maximize launch on a properly broken in ACT street disk? I know everyone has different techniques and you do not condone the practice, but lets say I was to go to the track and try to get the most out of my 1/4mi run...

Thank you in advance
Old May 15, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 34Turbo
Just got mine installed and I love it... I know I am kind of jacking his thread but what is the RPM range that would minimize slippage/maximize launch on a properly broken in ACT street disk? I know everyone has different techniques and you do not condone the practice, but lets say I was to go to the track and try to get the most out of my 1/4mi run...

Thank you in advance
bump for an answer to this question.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Quick Reply: ACT owners...Does your clutch Stink? literally?