Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best short shifter setup?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 08:48 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best short shifter setup?

Hey everyone i have a few questions for all the fast shifting people out there. I don't know what short shifter i have in the new evo i bought (it isn't very good). But in my old evo i had all upgraded bushings and perrin short shifter and it was a decent setup. I had a act clutch so that was limiting the shifting speed. I have a carbon twin i may just upgrade to a triple carbon soon. anyway what is really the best setup all you fast 1/4 mile guys?
Dave
Old May 16, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Stock.

Syncros are my friends, especially when you're putting down power.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
Hey everyone i have a few questions for all the fast shifting people out there. I don't know what short shifter i have in the new evo i bought (it isn't very good). But in my old evo i had all upgraded bushings and perrin short shifter and it was a decent setup. I had a act clutch so that was limiting the shifting speed. I have a carbon twin i may just upgrade to a triple carbon soon. anyway what is really the best setup all you fast 1/4 mile guys?
Dave

Take a picture of your short shifter and than we can tell you what you have dude
Old May 16, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the lancershop one with the bushings and i love it couldnt b happier....

evoisdream
Old May 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

all short shifters suck.i had one,and after about 8 months with it,i decided to go back to the stock one,and it felt way better to drive with.shortshifters=waste of cash IMO now

edit:i've also driven other evos with them(b&m,kartboy,megan,perrin),if anyone wanted to bust my *****,and i feel that the stock one is great compared to them all.

Last edited by evo81; May 16, 2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

y do u feel its better then a shorter one just the feel or were u having problems with ur SS?
Old May 16, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
y do u feel its better then a shorter one just the feel or were u having problems with ur SS?
i feel like i can pull down,and shift up better with the stocker better.the shortshifter i had felt like i had to stove it into gears more,and did not feel smooth at all.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

hrmmm interesting thanks for ur response
Old May 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

well I have the B&M short shifter with only set 15% reduction in the throw, it feels awesome and shifts great, way better then stock. I never liked the shift between first and second on the stock shifter, I had quite few miss shifts with it. Definately getting bushings underhood help a lot too.
Old May 16, 2005, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

i agree with most that sadly it seems for fast shifting the stock setup is best. I don't know for sure but would like to know what Al (dynoflash), buschur , curt brown, ams and all the other real fast evos use ( i do realize that driver has a lot to do with it). I think if a serious company did some firm development other then just reduction in height and shift pattern (adjusting the length and ratio top to bottom ) they could setup something better then stock that would assist the community of evo owners that don't want to just (feel) faster shifting but actually get it without that rough feel.
When i had my perrin adjustable i didn't adjust it like i should have. I bet i could have figured out a nice ratio/setup with that unit.
Dave
Dave
Old May 16, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had a B&M short throw on my last car (SVT Contour) and i thought it was groin-grabbingly-great compared to stock! I don't have one in my EVO yet, but i plan on getting the adjustable one from B&M in the near future. Personally i think the stock shifter looks kinda goofy cause its so tall. Oh well, to each his own!
Old May 16, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
i agree with most that sadly it seems for fast shifting the stock setup is best. I don't know for sure but would like to know what Al (dynoflash), buschur , curt brown, ams and all the other real fast evos use ( i do realize that driver has a lot to do with it). I think if a serious company did some firm development other then just reduction in height and shift pattern (adjusting the length and ratio top to bottom ) they could setup something better then stock that would assist the community of evo owners that don't want to just (feel) faster shifting but actually get it without that rough feel.
When i had my perrin adjustable i didn't adjust it like i should have. I bet i could have figured out a nice ratio/setup with that unit.
Dave
Dave
Sounds like you're looking for a sequential shifter
Old May 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave, I run a Kartboy short shifter, little more effort than stock but alot less throw.
Old May 16, 2005, 03:19 PM
Account Disabled

thanks everyone for the info!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

well guys! I just got in and installed the new AGENCY POWER short shifter and all i can say is WOW. I have had stock , stock modified, kartboy and perrin adjustable and all i can say is this new setup teamed with my tranny is GREAT! I will have a better write up soon.
Dave

Quick Reply: Best short shifter setup?