Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

flat panel vs cone filter re. cold air/flow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the cone filter and just the stock maf pipe and have never had an issue with the car stalling. No tune.

I have said it before and will say it again, I personally like the way the cone filter sounds.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
The one thing that I have to say about the air filter is that no matter what you think you are cooling down the air on a "cold air intake" as long as you have a turbo and an intercooler the cold air intake would not matter.

The reason why I say it does not mater is because the air is cold when suck by the air filter but then is extremely heat up again in the turbo, then is cool down by the intercooler and kindoff heat up a little bit again before it enters the manifold.

The botton line is that I belive the Cold air intake works much better in a non turbo car because it goes directly to the manifold wether the cold air intake on a turbo car is significantly affected by the turbo heat and the path of the intercooler.

The Mitsubishi Stealth R/T Twin turbos, Eagle talon turbos/eclipse/laser etc had a lot of difficulty cooling down the air due to the fact that the intercoolers itself are located in a hot and hidden spot making the cold air intake ineficcient.

I will rather worry much more about the flow on the filter itself, material made of, size, shape, lenght etc, etc.

my .50c

Unless you have an intercooler that defies the basic laws of physics, this is incorrect. I have heard this myth spun be several people.

Yes, the turbo heats the air and the intercooler cools the air. Those two processes can be effected by the temp of the air coming into that system.

Say for example--the turbo adds 200 degrees to the air and the intercooler pulls out 100 degrees.

50 F--outside air intake temp + 200 F from turbo - 100 F intercooler = 150 F at the intake manifold

200 F--under hood temp + 200F from turbo - 100 F intercooler = 300 F at the intake manifold

Starting temp of the heating and cooling process of the turbo/IC does make a difference.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

I would agree with that statement-