Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lightweigh flywheels

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Lightweigh flywheels

What are the andvantages and disadvantages of a lighter flywheel?

Guessing here: faster acceleration, more rpm to launch, lower top speed.
Is it correct?
Old May 21, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivability is substantially changed. Well in the case of my bro-in-law's wrx. He had a supperrrr lightweight flywheel on and you have to get used to the clutch engagement. A bit more slipping is needed and so the first time you drive the car you'll probably burn it a bit . But it all takes getting used to.
Old May 21, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

the fly wheel is what keeps the engine spinning in between gearshifts(centifugal force). if you notice when you rev your engine up it takes a little time to get back to idle. xepyt is correct on what he said. that is if you get a super light flywheel. my suggestion is that, if you are like almost all of us here you drive your car on the street, i wouldn't go with a super light flywheel. i would just go with a light weight streetable unit. the most noticable advantage would be quicker acceleration. most noticable disadvantage is the engine will decelerate or get back to idle faster than with the stock unit. meaning that it will take some time to get used to driving the car and shifting with normal driving again(driving like a sane person and not hauling a$$ everywhere). but it shouldn't take that long.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

heel toein is easier too
haaha random
Old May 22, 2005, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have the fidanza lightweight flywheel and personally I feel its not worth it because of the noize the damn the thing maked under deceleration. Its horrible. People are in the car and their like dude your car sounds like ****.

its not worth any of the benefits IMHO
Old May 22, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

The OEM flywheel on the Evo is already lightweight. Save yourself the $$$.

but, to answer your question; every pound you remove from the rotating mass of the engine translates into horsepower due to the energy released during combustion having to spin less mass. (In theory)

Having a featherweight drivetrain will allow the engine to rev very quickly (and fall very quickly) which helps with how long it takes to spool up the turbo (although the rpms at which you reach full spool will not change-you just get there quicker)

There are more advantages, but Im hungry and my GF is wanting to go to lunch.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

My Fidanza if perfect. There isn't a noticible difference in driving characterists at all. I went to it becasue it has a replacable friction surface and was priced very near the cost of the stock replacement. The stock f/W is light to begin with. The flywheel's contribution to the total inertia must considered along the other other rotating masses involved. Factor in the crank, cams, balance shaft and extra mass from a more substantial clutch and you end up little actual difference.

Aluminum dissapates heat faster than iron or steel. A good thing. Aluminum work hardens. A bad thing.

This is my opinion based on my actual experience with this unit on my EVO. filtered through my 30 yrs experince with performance cars. I hope you find it useful.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

The Toda is amazing, 9.7 lbs I believe?
Old May 22, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Note, the stock flywheel is 14.5#
Old May 22, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I bought the RRE steel flywheel with is 10.7lb for 250.. increase in horse pwr , rev faster.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Does the Lightweight flywheel produce a "gear rattle" sound under deceleration?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

If you only change the flywheel you will only notice a slight change in the rpm speed change. If you also remove the ballance shafts, there will be a huge change.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

What do you guys think about the exedy flywheel?

http://www.exedyusa.com/products/wha...F04-public.pdf
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

a lighter flywheel will add wear to your syncros for a daily driven car.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 05:54 PM

I've always been a big fan of lightened flywheels. The performance gains are well worth it, although most stock flywheels are not nearly as light as the EVO's.

As mentioned before though, driveability is changed substantially, especially with any sort of unsprung clutch.

It really takes some getting used to. The Fidanza is a very nice unit w/ the replaceable friction surfaces, no need to get it turned when you are doing a clutch change. The SPEC aluminum unit has the same type of deal.