Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Helix intake fits like total ****

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix intake fits like total ****

I just bought a new Helix intake for a my 2005 Evo, and was told that it would fit an 05 Evo with no problems. Although I'm not even sure that it would fit any better on an 03/04 Evo.

Here were the issues I had:

1. Hose connecting upper intake pipe to BOV was too large/loose.

2. Clamps for the hose mentioned above were too small and only went on after significant pushing/squeezing, etc.

3. Coupler hose going from pipe to turbo was too small. The bigger end of this coupler was just right for either the compressor inlet or the intake pipe, but the smaller end was too small. I had to take an Xacto knife and taper the edge of the hose so it just fit over the compressor inlet.

4. Once I got all the hoses on and hose clamps tight, I put the pipe in and there wasn't enough room!! The intake assembly going from the filter to the coupler hose on the compressor inlet was too long by ~1.5". The filter would not fit as it was hitting the ACD fluid reservoir and bracket. I ended up having to cut around an inch off one of the hose couplers and taper it yet again so it would fit over the compressor inlet and clear the ACD fluid reservoir.

5. The bend on the intake pipe is not accurate as it causes the BOV to be pulled down lower so it can be clamped on. This pulls the upper intake piping further down and causes the intercooler hose right behind the radiator fan to rub against the fan itself.

Overall impressions: The materials were of good quality but I wish I had known about these fitment issues because I would've coughed up a little more money for the HKS RS!

Last edited by anjapower; May 22, 2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 22, 2005, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

I am sorry to hear the trouble you went thru to install the intake. We have installed a great deal of these intakes on our customer's cars and we never had much fitment problem with it. Please feel free to call me if you need any further assistant.

On the side note...did you get you stuff in time for tuning? How much did you put down?

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300
Old May 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anjapower
I just bought a new Helix intake for a my 2005 Evo, and was told that it would fit an 05 Evo with no problems. Although I'm not even sure that it would fit any better on an 03/04 Evo.

Here were the issues I had:

1. Hose connecting upper intake pipe to BOV was too large/loose.

2. Clamps for the hose mentioned above were too small and only went on after significant pushing/squeezing, etc.

3. Coupler hose going from pipe to turbo was too small. The bigger end of this coupler was just right for either the compressor inlet or the intake pipe, but the smaller end was too small. I had to take an Xacto knife and taper the edge of the hose so it just fit over the compressor inlet.

4. Once I got all the hoses on and hose clamps tight, I put the pipe in and there wasn't enough room!! The intake assembly going from the filter to the coupler hose on the compressor inlet was too long by ~1.5". The filter would not fit as it was hitting the ACD fluid reservoir and bracket. I ended up having to cut around an inch off one of the hose couplers and taper it yet again so it would fit over the compressor inlet and clear the ACD fluid reservoir.

5. The bend on the intake pipe is not accurate as it causes the BOV to be pulled down lower so it can be clamped on. This pulls the upper intake piping further down and causes the intercooler hose right behind the radiator fan to rub against the fan itself.

Overall impressions: The materials were of good quality but I wish I had known about these fitment issues because I would've coughed up a little more money for the HKS RS!
Helix.....
Old May 22, 2005, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

pics??????
Old May 22, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
pics??????
I unfortunately didn't get pics of the install, wish I had. I was so pissed at the fitment, taking pics was the last thing on my mind. Murdering myself was the first actually.

I wonder if I'm the only one that experienced these problems. My friend with an 05 Evo will be installing his Helix intake soon and I guess I'll see if he has the same issues.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:06 PM
Account Disabled

Well what does the kit look like atleast
Old May 22, 2005, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey guys,

Sorry for the problems you were having with your intakes.

The DNA intake was actually designed for the 03-04 EVO but will fit the 05 EVO & EVO MR's. The main thing is actually pushing the ACD bracket over slightly (as per the instructions). The reason being the filter is larger than say the HKS RS and actually flows more air (without breaking apart as it's not a foam type filter).

I've installed a few myself on the 05 cars, so if you guys have any questions, please give me a call, i've never had any problems.

Thanks and sorry for the troubles!

Gary
Gruppe-S
510-783-5300
Old May 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Please let me know if any of you guys need help with anything.

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300

Last edited by Gruppe-S; May 22, 2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 22, 2005, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh on another note, when your friend installs his intake, try to drop it in as a complete assembly (instead of piece by piece). It definately is a PITA to install, but once you do a few, it goes in quick. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old May 22, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

I installed the Helix intake on my 2005. Mine fits OK, but the directions did say that 05/MRs you would have to bend the bracket for the ACD fluid. I did so and the assembly fit just fine. Complaints I had were.

1) The MAS adapter plate did NOT fit THAT well. Alignment was off. Not a big deal though!

2) This suprised me and I questioned what kind of R&D was put into the intake. The adapter plate uses 4 nuts and bolts (and spacers) to connect the adapter plate with the MAS. However, the bolts were too short to use the spacers... they were so short that I could hardly get the nuts on!!!!! I could only spin them around 2-3 times max. That worried me but I tightended them mucho so its been fine.

Overall, I like the intake (looks, sound, filter quality). However, I was not impressed with the quality of fitment but for the price and the quality of the filter, I think it is a good buy.

Now the intercooler pipes, I had more fitment issues but thats another story. Lower fit GREAT! However, the top upper pipe does not fit too well as it was hitting the fan module and rubbing against the battery and it does not fit well to the TB, even with adjusting! Oh well! Whatever! I have a new upper and lower going on this week!
Old May 23, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO

2) This suprised me and I questioned what kind of R&D was put into the intake. The adapter plate uses 4 nuts and bolts (and spacers) to connect the adapter plate with the MAS. However, the bolts were too short to use the spacers... they were so short that I could hardly get the nuts on!!!!! I could only spin them around 2-3 times max. That worried me but I tightended them mucho so its been fine.
I forgot to even mention that. I couldn't get the spacers on at all because the bolts were too short. Hopefully I don't need them...I didn't tighten it so much that it would crack the MAF plastic but it is definitely snug.
Old May 23, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

so are all the fitment issues on the 05's. has anyone had problems with 03 or 04's?
Old May 23, 2005, 06:17 AM

Is the helix the best intake out right now for the EVO?
Old May 23, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gracing2000
Is the helix the best intake out right now for the EVO?
Old May 23, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally I favor the Buschur racing Intake pipes as the Upper intercooler pipe is first rate. The airfilter buschur uses fits with the 05 ACD reservoir if you use the Dejon MAS pipe or Buschur MAS pipe. The bracket isn't to hard to bend, just remove the 2 bolts holding the reservoir down so that you can put some muscle on it. I ended up moving it rearward about 1.5" to make room for a cold air intake from the front grill.

Quick Reply: Helix intake fits like total ****