Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car stalls on inclines???

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalls on inclines???

I've noticed that when I'm giving the car a little gas and then let off on inclines that my car stalls. It cut off yesterday and triggered a CEL. Does anyone know what this might be? It got worst since I installed the Buschur MAS pipe kit with open filter element. It used to stall with the stock intake system on, but a lot more infrequently.

Also, does anyone have a OBD-II reader that they can let me use to check what code my ECU pulled?

Thanks,

-M
Old May 26, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I would say check all of the clamps. And also maybe turn the idol up a bit.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I've noticed that when I'm giving the car a little gas and then let off on inclines that my car stalls. It cut off yesterday and triggered a CEL. Does anyone know what this might be? It got worst since I installed the Buschur MAS pipe kit with open filter element. It used to stall with the stock intake system on, but a lot more infrequently.

Also, does anyone have a OBD-II reader that they can let me use to check what code my ECU pulled?

Thanks,

-M
First of all, what are your mods in order of installation date.

Off the top of my head, my guess is that your ECU is not tuned to accept your new mods. With the intake, you always need to retune the ECU, otherwise, your car will stall more frequently ESP on inclines and when you give it a bit of gas and let go...

The fact that you stalled with your stock intake as well means, that you probably had mods done out of sync with the Vishnu Xflash assuming that's what you got...

If you got the Xflash as your first mod, then you definitely need to retune for all your added parts...you now have more air in and out and that will confuse the ECU.

Hope this helps.

Brent
Old May 26, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem before i got tuned and a new APS valve.
If you haven't, getting a tune is a must with a open air filter.
But i have a feeling that it may be your BOV.
What valve are you using?

I used to have stalling issues on inclines with a JDM MR valve. After i got the APS, i never stall.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

oh yea, you might want to adjust you BISS screw a tad.
that may help.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:50 PM

You can "rent" a OBD-II scan tool from Checker/Schucks/Kragen or Autozone. C/S/K requires a deposit, but you get it all back when you return the tool. I assume Autozone to be the same.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, here's a list of mods and when I got the stalls on an incline. Brent is describing things exactly as they are.

June 04 - Got an Xflash with Sub-Zero map. Everything else was bone stock. No stalls noticed.

April 05 - I moved to a place where I had to pull into the parking space on an incline. Car occasionally stalled on the inclined. Same mods as above.

April 05 - Got 3" Turboback exhaust. No other mods. Got tuned by Shiv for Stage Zero+. Car still stalled occasionally on inclines. Intake was completely stock.

May 05 - Got Buschur's MAS intake pipe, open air filter, and Upper I/C pipe kit. Car stalls even more now and will actually shut-off at times.

I have the 1G BOV right now with new gasket and sealed to the Upper I/C pipe. The bov is venting back into the intake.

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; May 26, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

try puting your stock airbox back on and see what it does.
next try your stock bov and see what happens.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by titaniumkingpin
try puting your stock airbox back on and see what it does.
next try your stock bov and see what happens.
I'm certain that the stock airbox will make it stall less, but the car was stalling even with the stock airbox back on.

The only thing that I can think of is that that car's MAF didn't like either of my filters. I had an HKS PowerFilter (drop-in) with just the reflash awhile ago, and it stalled on inclines then (occasionally).

It's probably what Brent said. Car just needs to be tuned for that condition.

-M
Old May 26, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Ok, here's a list of mods and when I got the stalls on an incline. Brent is describing things exactly as they are.

June 04 - Got an Xflash with Sub-Zero map. Everything else was bone stock. No stalls noticed.

April 05 - I moved to a place where I had to pull into the parking space on an incline. Car occasionally stalled on the inclined. Same mods as above.

April 05 - Got 3" Turboback exhaust. No other mods. Got tuned by Shiv for Stage Zero+. Car still stalled occasionally on inclines. Intake was completely stock.

May 05 - Got Buschur's MAS intake pipe, open air filter, and Upper I/C pipe kit. Car stalls even more now and will actually shut-off at times.

I have the 1G BOV right now with new gasket and sealed to the Upper I/C pipe. The bov is venting back into the intake.

-M
Hey BOOSTEZ,

I recommend giving Shiv a call. Tell him your issues regarding your stalling on an incline. I am sure he can adress and solve that issue. His reputation as a tuner is well accepted on this forum so I am sure this should not be too difficult for him to fix. It seems that from the get-go, the XFlash was not tuned to your specific conditions...

As a suggestion, I would push to see if you can get him to resolve it at no cost. Whatever you do, be absolutely sure that you can prove that you are a good manual driver. I just hope he does not point the finger that you are not skilled with clutch travel and the engagement point on the Evo and that is the reason why it is stalling. Good luck!

Brent
Old May 26, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can borrow my reader.

Come on over...

....Flybyevo...
Old May 26, 2005, 03:30 PM

I have the same problem! I have the JDM MR valve (recirc) and it stalls, especially on inclines (getting out of the parking structure). I has similar problems with my Greddy RS which was running VTA. I never had a problem with the Greddy Type S recirc.

I think I might have to switch back to the type S.

Stock intake BTW
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem but I'm almost certain its the JDM MR valve or possibly a fuel pump problem.

It rarely happens on race gas.. always happens on pump. Happens with both the stock intake and the BR filter.

Hopefully one of these days I'll just buy the APS bov and know for sure...
Old Jan 11, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

It was the JDM MR bov. I do not stall at all with the APS unit. The car still gets rich when letting off on a hill and what not but it does not cause the car to stall now
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
It was the JDM MR bov. I do not stall at all with the APS unit. The car still gets rich when letting off on a hill and what not but it does not cause the car to stall now
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I've since then moved back to my stock intake setup and don't get the stalls anymore (very rarely but it's just lowered rpm for a second and not the car shutting off).

-M