Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

injen intake and greddy type-s

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injen intake and greddy type-s

will these two work together? the injen intake with upper intercooler piping and the greddy type-s bov? thanks
Old May 26, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the exact same set-up and it works like a charm. but you need to get it tuned.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

i mean you can do it without a tune, but once you get the tune you are gonna see more hp untill then it might feel faster and sound alot cooler (yes it does) but it doesnt drive as smooth as it should.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JSYEVO
will these two work together? the injen intake with upper intercooler piping and the greddy type-s bov? thanks
Do they work together? WTf. There's like 500 people with these same two mods, who do them for no reason other than to sound and look better, then come back here and ask why their new Evo runs like ***. Take that $400-500, get a boost gauge, MBC and Dynoflash.

If you are just going to get the Injen Intake+Greddy BOV, then you will have to buy a flash to make it run right. This has been discussed a bazillion times. If you don't, you'll have bling/sound and less hp. If you do my suggestions, you will gain 30-40hp, and the car will run great. Then, you could get a K&N panel filter ($70) and JDM MR BOV ($120) whenever you get another $200 to spend to flow a little better while holding that increased boost steadily.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 26, 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Do they work together? WTf. There's like 500 people with these same two mods, who do them for no reason other than to sound and look better, then come back here and ask why their new Evo runs like ***. Take that $400-500, get a boost gauge, MBC, JDM MR BOV, K&N panel filter (or the stock one is just fine).

If you are just going to get the Injen Intake+Greddy BOV, then you will have to buy a flash to make it run right. This has been discussed a bazillion times.
Why do you always crap on people's posts that have to do with anything except for your trusted K&N filter or MR BOV? So what if people want DIFFERENT products for their car? Not everyone wants the same mods as you.

As it's been said many times, there is absolutely no tuning required for any type of BOV that is recirculated unless the previous BOV was not functioning correctly.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Well said
Old May 26, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
Why do you always crap on people's posts that have to do with anything except for your trusted K&N filter or MR BOV? So what if people want DIFFERENT products for their car? Not everyone wants the same mods as you.

As it's been said many times, there is absolutely no tuning required for any type of BOV that is recirculated unless the previous BOV was not functioning correctly.
Those are just cost-effective suggestions...I don't even have an MR BOV. I "crap" on the posts, because they are asking for help in doing the wrong mods. I have an aversion to those who buy the Evo (amazing car/great choice), then immediately choose to rice it out with mods that appear "fast" but don't improve performance (waste of money/poor choice). Notice that I have an S-AFC, yet I never suggest it, so this isn't a case of me trying to make people have the same mods as me...

As for the tuning part, I was referring to the intake. Why did you assume I was referring strictly to the BOV?
Old May 27, 2005, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

So your saying an Injen Intake and Greddy BOV are rice?
Old May 27, 2005, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

That's Strange, I dropped 2/10 after the Type S and Injen, seems like a power adder to me.
Old May 27, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gkania
That's Strange, I dropped 2/10 after the Type S and Injen, seems like a power adder to me.
You didn't drop 2/10ths because of them while in stock form without a flash, unless you just suddenly learned how to drive after the fact. The BOV does absolutely nothing for stock boost, and the intake is only good for <5hp WHEN tuned. To gain 2/10ths, it would take 20hp or so (if driven exactly the same).
Old May 27, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krafty
So your saying an Injen Intake and Greddy BOV are rice?
For the most part, yes. Their only purpose is to look shiny while making "cool" noises. If I'm going to spend that much money, my car better be noticeably faster afterwards. I spent $200 on mine and went 12.8. I've now spent another $450 (cat-back & MBC) and plan to go 12.4 on pump (12.2 on 112oct). $650 to go 12.4 sure beats $500 to be shiny and make noise while running 13.5s.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

That gain is before I had the car reflashed for the parts, I was running higher than stock boost levels, which would necessitate the stronger BOV, the stock BOV has problems with anything over 20psi, hence the power gain, my stock one was leaking. SO I can spend $200 on a nice BOV, or $200 on another OEM Mitsu part that may or may not hold over 25 psi, I'll go with the "rice", you can spend another $200 when your MR starts leaking the first time you turn up the boost with race gas. I guess no one ever told you how to dissect the word "assume". Most people do TBE first since that is the biggest power adder for the money, true the intake costs alot for a little but every little bit helps, put your car on the dyno and watch your stock upper intercooler pipe swell up like a balloon and then tell me if its such a bad idea. Maybe said poster already has the supporting mods already and this is the next logical step for him. In any case, yes they do work well together and YES YOU WILL have gains when setup correctly.
Old May 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gkania
That gain is before I had the car reflashed for the parts, I was running higher than stock boost levels, which would necessitate the stronger BOV, the stock BOV has problems with anything over 20psi, hence the power gain, my stock one was leaking. SO I can spend $200 on a nice BOV, or $200 on another OEM Mitsu part that may or may not hold over 25 psi, I'll go with the "rice", you can spend another $200 when your MR starts leaking the first time you turn up the boost with race gas. I guess no one ever told you how to dissect the word "assume". Most people do TBE first since that is the biggest power adder for the money, true the intake costs alot for a little but every little bit helps, put your car on the dyno and watch your stock upper intercooler pipe swell up like a balloon and then tell me if its such a bad idea. Maybe said poster already has the supporting mods already and this is the next logical step for him. In any case, yes they do work well together and YES YOU WILL have gains when setup correctly.
Uh, he doesn't have any mods. These are his first 2. That is all I am talking about. Now get off your soapbox. There is no exhaust...there is no increased boost...there is no need for either mod...he can gain a LOT more for the same money with other mods.

The JDM MR BOV does not cost $200, and it will hold his boost and then some. To overrun that BOV, he will have to be maxing out the stock turbo. If you are running this much boost so as to need a ricey BOV, then you must have put it on AFTER the 12.55@108, right? That mph can be done on stock boost with TBE and a flash. I did 106mph on stock boost/stock exhaust and plan to do 108mph with stock boost/cat-back, even with those crappy IC hoses, plastic BOV, and stock intake box you mentioned.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 27, 2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 27, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

so you need a tune after installing ANY intake?
Old May 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I was running 22 pounds and my stock BOV was leaking, so I replaced it, and what do you know 2/10. that is my point. It does not say what level of mods he has, just if the two will work together. I guess my titanium exhaust is rice too cause it costs more to do the same thing....... TOO bad it doesnt BLING, Can you get titanim chrome plated???

Quick Reply: injen intake and greddy type-s