Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Turbo "kit" w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Turbo "kit" w/ pics

Well I finally got my transmission and t-case back in the car. The car still has a problem with something in the driveline which I will discover later but I am driving the car now. All the plumbing for the new turbo (Equal length header, Tial 44mm wastegate dumped externally, intake pipe and lower ic pipe and 02 housing) was made by Ron Shearer at Shearer Motorsport. The turbo is a GT35R and the lines for the turbo were all from AMS. The intercooler and upper IC pipe are Buschur's (The upper IC pipe had to be modified to fit the intake manifold though). The car is running 780cc injectors with an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and a Whinebro fuel pump. It has Magnus Motorsports sheetmetal intake manifold on it, HKS SSQ Bov, ACT 2900lb clutch w/ street disk and a three speed scatter shield. HKS 272/272 cams, an S-AFC 2, Zeitronix wideband controller and full 3" turboback with no cat. The car's idle is crap and barely holds it... the AFC is just not enough to control the fuel I believe and I am sure my timing is crap (No OBD-II datalogger thats worth a crap to see how bad it really is). Other than the idle problems the car runs perfect. The EGT's are also too low at WOT from where they should be so I assume it is from the timing. The GT35R is a perfectly streetable turbo... I dont care what anyone else thinks. It spools fine in low gears (5th is pretty bad while cruising for spoolup but downshifting makes it fine). The car PULLS incredibly hard at 20psi. I can't wait to get some C-16 and a way to control the timing and fuel better. But even with the crappy AFC I got the o2's very good (Without seeing timing and knock it is still just a good guess but the 02s are easy to control and very predictable). I am running a mix of 110 and 93 for now until I can get something to see and control timing or at least get it reflashed to compensate for the dead-time and everything else with the new injectors (Getting it reflashed hopefully next weekend).

I guess this is just another post letting people know the GT35R is not a lag monster that can be used only in a race car at a track. The car did lose alot of spool compared to before but I never really needed my car to spool instantly.. if I am going to race, I will know about it and be prepared to rev it nice and high. For street cruising it spools fast enough to pass people and honestly... when do you need a car faster than a civic unless you are racing? It gets to full boost around 4500 rpm's give or take a few hundred depending on gear and starting RPM. The only car I had to test the speed with was a Boxter type S with a full intake and exhaust. It took my car less time to go from 55 to 90 than his to get from 35 to 55. I dont have any dyno info from the car and I am still deciding what I will use to actually tune it well. I plan on getting someones alcohol injection kit soon also so I will let you guys know how that works. I also had the transmission rebuilt from TRE and it works well.

I still have a mysterious whining/light scraping noise from SOMEWHERE around the tranny (MAINLY in first gear on accel or decel but you can hear a slight rub/scrape/clickity type noise in second and kind of in third). I had the transmission rebuilt and took the transfercase apart. I could not find anything wrong with either but figured it was the tranny so got it rebuilt anyways. I have no idea anymore what the noise could be. I refuse to spend another $1500 and hope it is the transfercase and find out its not. Hopefully next weekend I can ask Al from Dynoflash or one of the AMS guys to listen to it and see if they got any ideas. If anyone else has any ideas let me know... I would love to hear them

Sorry for the long post but I figured I would get my info out there and let people know that building your own "turbo kit" is not tough and works out fine and does keep it a little bit cheaper. Granted sometimes it is a pain to make sure you bought everything and it is a pain to make sure everything gets there in time and you need to call a bunch of different vendors to make it happen but at least you get exactly what you want (Oh.. and make sure you get enough couplers.. I ran out and had to use the home depot plumbing type for the intake... it looks stupid). You pick everything on it so you could never be dissappointed. I still need to clean up the engine bay and get everything nice and neat looking but it all works for now. Ill keep you guys updated on if I ever fix my driveline noise and let you guys know when I can get it tuned better and maybe a few timeslips and dyno pulls. Here are a some pics from the car....

Newest engine bay shots:
http://www.thedrunken.com/gallery/exterior

Transmission/T-Case torn apart:
http://www.thedrunken.com/gallery/album87

Turbo "kit" (Mainly Ron Shearers Stuff):
http://www.thedrunken.com/gallery/album86

And this is the main gallery for all the Evo's crap:
http://www.thedrunken.com/gallery/evo8
Old May 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good write up, sounds nice. This is exactly what I wanted to hear with the GT35R as far as being streetable. Are you still on the 2.0 block?
Old May 30, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yep.. stock motor.
Old May 30, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good stuff
Old May 30, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 30, 2005, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Is it me or did you install that frontmount crooked?

Sean
Old May 30, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

That harness setup is incredibly unsafe also.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

nice website..
Old May 31, 2005, 03:53 AM
aps
Evolving Member

Very nice
Old May 31, 2005, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Nice set of pics.
Old May 31, 2005, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like you put together a very good kit, nice pics. Congrats!
Old May 31, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
where did you get the manifold and o2 housing, I see that it says shearer, but is that a member or what?

Overall nice looking setup.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

DONT be cheap about your car, get an AEM EMS on that car! Good choice on turbo too, the gt35r is king for the stock 2.0l.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Shearer = Ron Shearer from Shearer Motorsport http://www.shearermotorsport.com

Which harness is unsafe? The seat belt harness... I did it for the fun of it. I dont even use it.. I just wanted to feel what it feels like.

The frontmount is crooked yes... The brackets are crooked and I dont know why... Maybe Buschur needed to do this to make the lower pipe elbow fit? I dont really care.. looks strange but oh well.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and dont be cheap... Add the cost of the parts together... Its not cheap I just dont know if I want to do the full stand alone (AEM EMS) or go the DSM Link route of the ECU Plus route. I havent decided.

Quick Reply: My Turbo "kit" w/ pics