Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

whining sounds coming from tranny

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005 | 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revolagoy
First, I would beat the crap out of your so called friend. I never let anyone drive my EVO for that exact reason. I feel for your pain. If my car breaks, I want to be the one that causes it.
same here. my friends say stuff like "but DUDE, i know how to drive!" or "come on, i know how to drive stick". i just say "i'm sure u do, but it's not about that, something can always go wrong, do u want me to stop being ur friend just because my car breaks while ur driving it?" they all gave up eventually as i told them that i'm going to be an exclusive ***** about my car.
the only time it's been driven by someone else was after repairs and alignment in a body shop. i don't think they beat on it (at least not hard), since i didn't notice any difference in clutch or tranny afterwards.

as far as noises go, if it doesn't make them in NEUTRAL, then it's the tranny. and tranny is VERY noisey in any gear. i never beat on the car, but if i shift hard, sometimes it'll clank into 3rd gear, no grinding though.

what u should do is: go to see ur friend. ask him if he wants to go for a drive. when he asks if he can drive again, say OK. just as he's about to get into driver's seat, grab his neck, hold his head on the door jam, proceed to repeatedly slam the door into his head, until u start seeing signs of intelligence in his eyes. those signs may be in the form of salty clear fluid but can also show in the form of red fluid as well. at that point, ask him if he still wants to drive.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Just take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. I don't understand the abuse statements going on in here. You bought the car to drive so drive it the way you want. And by no means I'm saying that what your friend did was right. I hate to see dealer using the word abuse when the damn car is new and stock. Who cares! If the car can't withstand a slight beating in stock form don't sell them damn thing cuz it's going to cause dissatisfaction.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

if i were you...i would beat your friend until $35,000 worth of his organs shut down.

he just took your brand new car and really really f_cked it up

one question...were you in the car when he was driving?
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX

what u should do is: go to see ur friend. ask him if he wants to go for a drive. when he asks if he can drive again, say OK. just as he's about to get into driver's seat, grab his neck, hold his head on the door jam, proceed to repeatedly slam the door into his head, until u start seeing signs of intelligence in his eyes. those signs may be in the form of salty clear fluid but can also show in the form of red fluid as well. at that point, ask him if he still wants to drive.

very creative.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

When I brought my car in, these were the questions the service manager asked. "Do you drive the car hard? Do you track your car? Have you taken it to the dragstrip?" I still had the original Advans on my car with 18.5 K on them. I told him that and it shut him up. I am not trying to scare anybody, just let him know that dealers ask these kind of questions and look for abuse. It may help him better prepare for the dealer. And you are right, no harm in bringing the car in to have them take a look at it.

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Just take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. I don't understand the abuse statements going on in here. You bought the car to drive so drive it the way you want. And by no means I'm saying that what your friend did was right. I hate to see dealer using the word abuse when the damn car is new and stock. Who cares! If the car can't withstand a slight beating in stock form don't sell them damn thing cuz it's going to cause dissatisfaction.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

wow.. i cannot believe you would let your freind drive your car like that.. its your toy, tell the punk to get his own if he wants to go fast.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

omfg. Powershift? Dude what the hell is wrong with you. I feel like beating the hell out of your friend and i dont even know him!! Dude take your car in and pray to god they will replace it. But if they dont - you tell your friend he owes you $2000 for a new tcase and a lot more if the tranny severed some damage from that powershifting. Your friend is truely a moron.
Old Jun 3, 2005 | 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

From: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
i say break ur friend.hahhahahaa
Old Jun 4, 2005 | 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

guys dont scare him, until he discribe more about the noise...it might be just a slight whinning we all get w. the tranny and T-case...we all know how noisy the drivetrain is so that might be whats hes hearing..

05 evos doesnt seem to have the t-case probs. as 03 evos have..so he might be in the clear...

please discribe the noise more in detail...

-when does it happends?
-how loud is the noise?
-it is a whine or more like rattles?
-does it get louder under in gear, out of gear, decel, accel..?

things like that..

and as far as powershift thing some ppl think its shifting w. out letting of the clutch..some ppl think its just shifting really fast @ high rpm..so which one did he do....?

to set you at ease....i havent seen one blow T-case from an 05 evo owner yet...some seem to have more probs w. the rear diff than anything else...
Old Jun 4, 2005 | 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

It could be the throw-out bearing. My Evo is doing the same right now. Making the noise on deceleration and coasting. But when you put your clutch in the noise goes away. For some reason my car makes the noise when the air-conditioner is on?

Since you are in the east coast. Look at TRE. They have T-Cases and rebuilds them too.

But my bet is your Throw-out Bearing.
Old Jun 4, 2005 | 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TD05HR
guys dont scare him, until he discribe more about the noise...it might be just a slight whinning we all get w. the tranny and T-case...we all know how noisy the drivetrain is so that might be whats hes hearing..

05 evos doesnt seem to have the t-case probs. as 03 evos have..so he might be in the clear...

please discribe the noise more in detail...

-when does it happends?
-how loud is the noise?
-it is a whine or more like rattles?
-does it get louder under in gear, out of gear, decel, accel..?

things like that..

and as far as powershift thing some ppl think its shifting w. out letting of the clutch..some ppl think its just shifting really fast @ high rpm..so which one did he do....?

to set you at ease....i havent seen one blow T-case from an 05 evo owner yet...some seem to have more probs w. the rear diff than anything else...
well apparently, my buddy whiteevo311 who owns an 05 told me that the whining is normal, and another friend with an 05 as well does the same noise, but now that i'm used to it, i kinda like it...
Old Jun 4, 2005 | 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

sorry, i'm not trying to be an a-hole but why are you even downshifting into first gear??
Old Jun 4, 2005 | 12:56 AM

ouch!

sorry to beak it to u man..every one else here is right...your friend is a dumb a**. i am proudt to say that i was the one to blow my transfer case after two launches. that noise is definetly your transfer case..i just had mine redone as a matter of fact just got it of the shop today... transfer cases are expensive i had mine taken out and sent it out to t.r.e..these guys are awesome..its expensive but at least i know my transfer case will hold up some power now..here is their number give them a call 269-382-2669..good luck and dont let some one else beat the **** out of your car..just for a future reference.
Old Jan 21, 2007 | 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

its just you, i guarantee nothing is wrong with your car
Old Jan 21, 2007 | 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Ok 1st off, kinda scary that not many people noticed what you said about downshifting into 1st at 20-25mph.. I cringed and eek'd when I read that.. NEVER.. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER downshift into 1st unless you are pretty much at a stop, or so slow of a roll that your speedo is on the 0.
Just by constantly downshifting into 1st would mess some **** up.
I let my friend who owns a evo drive my car, and he did the same thing as you do, he downshifts into 1st at like 20mph, and then when he takes turns his car is still out of gear, then proceeds to put it in gear and let out on the clutch while in middle of the turn. I abruptly confronted him about it and told him he is doing it all wrong, and just kinda grinded my teeth at thinking how he just put my car in 1st at that high of a gear. DO NOT DO THAT!

2nd off.. Why the **** would you even let some kid who obviously does not know how to drive, launch an AWD car? Primarily an AWD car that is easily broken if not properly launched? You're just at fault for the car being broken as much as your idiotic friend is. If what your describing is what I think it is, and you hear a whining noise while driving, and it starts to disappear the close you get to a complete 'idle'; it sounds like your tcase is ****ed. Oh and iam gonna take another wild guess and he power shifted 1-2? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I believe the 6speeds can handle a 1-2powershift.. but the 5speed = bye bye syncro.

High rev launch/drop + AWD Tcase X Idiotic driver / Dumb owner = Whole new ****load of problems.

Quick Reply: whining sounds coming from tranny