Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mods installed... poor outcome :(

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2005 | 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

You need a custom tune.You went from a catback and intake to a full turbo back, fuel pump w/intake.Get a flash for your mods.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
You need a custom tune.You went from a catback and intake to a full turbo back, fuel pump w/intake.Get a flash for your mods.
i agree. get the tune. with that fuel pump your prolly running rich as hell.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

among all the advice, im constantly hearing getting a tune... i guess my question would be is it worth getting it tuned over and over? for example, i plan on getting cams, etc. within the next couple months, if not sooner... do u think it's worth getting it tuned now and then again when i actually get the mods? or should i just wait...

and again, just for the record.. it's not a stock cat-back... i have a full 3" turbo back installed, not just the downpipe alone.. i made the mistake of leaving that part out since it was included in my signature but i guess i shouldve listed it.

anywho, as far as the tuning goes.... would it be worth doing more than once in the next 3-4 months or so, or should i just wait to get all my $hit together? advice always appreciated, obviously >;] i guess money would be the issue on that one... im on a pretty tight budget... i have money for mods and install, but not for repeat activities like tuning and tuning over and over, etc. so again i guess it's just how much tuning costs and whether i should wait for my cams or not.

--Jonathan
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

When adding performance parts to a car you always want to retune. Slapping on some boltons does nothing for you without tuning. If your worried about having to tune it everytime you buy a new part then buy a bunch of parts at once and tune them. I know it's hard to look at a brand new part just sitting in the corner of the garage for a couple months, but in the long run you can save hundreds of dollars in dyno time.

Originally Posted by eLiTe eVo
among all the advice, im constantly hearing getting a tune... i guess my question would be is it worth getting it tuned over and over? for example, i plan on getting cams, etc. within the next couple months, if not sooner... do u think it's worth getting it tuned now and then again when i actually get the mods? or should i just wait...

and again, just for the record.. it's not a stock cat-back... i have a full 3" turbo back installed, not just the downpipe alone.. i made the mistake of leaving that part out since it was included in my signature but i guess i shouldve listed it.

anywho, as far as the tuning goes.... would it be worth doing more than once in the next 3-4 months or so, or should i just wait to get all my $hit together? advice always appreciated, obviously >;] i guess money would be the issue on that one... im on a pretty tight budget... i have money for mods and install, but not for repeat activities like tuning and tuning over and over, etc. so again i guess it's just how much tuning costs and whether i should wait for my cams or not.

--Jonathan
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for fuel pump causing car to run pig rich..I bet you have a nice amount of black smoke under hard acceleration as well..Time for a re-flash with tune for a walbro..
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
When adding performance parts to a car you always want to retune. Slapping on some boltons does nothing for you without tuning. If your worried about having to tune it everytime you buy a new part then buy a bunch of parts at once and tune them. I know it's hard to look at a brand new part just sitting in the corner of the garage for a couple months, but in the long run you can save hundreds of dollars in dyno time.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 10:54 PM

i installed a hallman mbc and 3 in Buschur TBE and my Evo pulls much harder across the board. It has to be that fuel pump or leaks.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a gasket seal leak and/or a bad tune
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=eLiTe eVo]among all the advice, im constantly hearing getting a tune... i guess my question would be is it worth getting it tuned over and over? for example, i plan on getting cams, etc. within the next couple months, if not sooner... do u think it's worth getting it tuned now and then again when i actually get the mods? or should i just wait...

Yes. tuning is definitely worth it. You could always go with an S-AFC. That alone will do wonders.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
+1 for fuel pump causing car to run pig rich..I bet you have a nice amount of black smoke under hard acceleration as well..Time for a re-flash with tune for a walbro..
No offense, but you do realize that the car naturally runs rich stock and already smokes under hard acceleration without a fuel pump, right??
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thebluesky
No offense, but you do realize that the car naturally runs rich stock and already smokes under hard acceleration without a fuel pump, right??
this is very true, but my afr stock with stock parts was 10.4. with a walbro and exhaust it was 10.1 before the tune. so in a matter of speaking the car is pig rich from the factory, but at the same time his is probably running richer on that pump with no tune.
Old Jun 5, 2005 | 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

well, my 2 cents.. your car should NOT feel like it's pulling "less" after a MBC, and turbo back CATLESS exhaust. Reguardless of the loss in backpressure, the car should still have a wicked torq curve.. something is definetly wrong. have it checked out by the place you had it installed.
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

quick sorta side question i guess... once i get the car checked out by ams and stuff, would it be worth getting the tune or alternatively getting the safc 2? in other words, will i be saving money by just gettin the safc (ie, is the only tuning going to be a/f, etc. tunes) or should i actually get it tuned by a company or somethin like that?

--Jonathan

btw, thanks alot for all the responses and stuff, it definately makes it easier to know what people think bout it so i can try different things to c if they work
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

[QUOTE=TexasRS]
Originally Posted by plokivos
However, with the tune, you get a smoother transition on the AFR, and better pull on top end, which feels slow...QUOTE]

Would you say that getting a flash (on an otherwise stock evo) makes the car FEEL slower?
yes. My car feels slow as hell. But I know it's because I don't have such up and down as well as pig rich post 5000 rpm AFR.

So, it doesn't peak and down. The whp and Torque x is fairely straight now from the peak, unlike pre flash where it's got that big dip where torque line and the whp line intersects.

But that doesn't mean, the car is slower, most of the times.
Old Jun 6, 2005 | 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

heh, my car IS tuned and still blows black smoke under WOT.
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

alright, getting my car checked out again by ams tonight in about an hour or so... we'll hopefully find out what the problem is and either get it fixed or find out how to... wish me luck! got my fingers crossed

--Jonathan

Quick Reply: Mods installed... poor outcome :(