Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3L Stroker and durability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005 | 06:15 PM

So can someone explain why you could not simply take a stock EVO and add a stroker and the needed tune? Mivo suggest in the post above that it is not possible for some reason...

I am not sure why you would need any other mods to see benefits... Seems like it would make a huge difference even with all stock components still in place... Heck, a mail-in flash gets 20whp on a stock evo....

I have no doubt that other mods would help to add more gain.... My guess is a stroker kit on a nicely modded evo still using the stock turbo would be a great combination...

Thoughts?

Chris

Chris
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

its hard to decide which is better, stroker kit or built 2.0L. im in the same situation and have been trying to do research for a while now. most of the fastest evo's are using the built 2.0L. the stroker set up looks very tempting and promising after seing numerous videos of that black ams 2.3L/GT35R evo.

i still cannot decide which would be better. my main objective is to create a street beast, where racing from standstill to rolling starts would not matter. im kind of leaning towards the 2.3L due to the fact that it can provide additional low end power and most importantly, make large turbos spool faster. the only downside is you cannot rev as high, which im not sure would matter if you are make the additional power and spool down low.

it would be nice to see the opinions of companies that sell these kits, especially if they can provide a good, detailed insight on the matter from their experiences, which would be the most helpful considering they would have alot of experience with both set ups.

Last edited by TwStDeVo; Jun 7, 2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Attached Images  

Last edited by Spec'd; Jun 7, 2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Intake/exhaust port sizes & intake manifolding/ throttle body sizing will be a major concern. You are now filling a hole with more air and the airways will become the restriction. Since you are adding more air you are also adding more fuel and that displaces air so bigger ports ARE a neccessary(usually). Only a machine shop that has hogged out heads for a few people would know the extent of porting necessary. It doesnt sound like .3 litres would not make much of a difference but in the V8 world going from a chevy 350 to 383 is a big deal with airflow upgrades. Guys change vlave sizes and hog out heads (with respect to keeping velocity in check) to realize the torque/hp benefits
Old Jun 7, 2005 | 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Will a stroker decrease durability, YES, will you notice it NO. Maybe after 70K you may see more wear/blowby....for the most part the difference is negligible.

Why are some of you talking about putting a stroker on a stock car? The best and most cost effective thing to do is maximize the stock turbo and then if you are still not satisfied with 350AWHP move on.
Old Jun 8, 2005 | 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdavy
So can someone explain why you could not simply take a stock EVO and add a stroker and the needed tune? Mivo suggest in the post above that it is not possible for some reason...
I'm running a stroker on mine engine which is pretty much stock apart from a fuel pump upgrade (and exhaust/intake and some reground cams).

Thats still with stock injectors, ECU and turbo.

While I am running like, i'm still using it as my daily run about also, I understand that to get the best out of it I need to be looking at a new ECU.

But until that day comes its still plodding along happily like it was standard.
Old Sep 22, 2010 | 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

i have a 2.3L its exciting to drive. The break in period is at least 500 miles. I did that in 2 days. Its spools early and pulls harder than the 2.0. you'll get more torque with the stroker but wont be able to rev to infinity like the 2.0. most turbos are falling on their faces after 7 grand anyway.